Volume 19, Number 3—March 2013
CME ACTIVITY - Research
Tuberculosis and HIV Co-infection, California, USA, 1993–2008
Medscape, LLC is pleased to provide online continuing medical education (
This activity has been planned and implemented in accordance with the Essential Areas and policies of the Accreditation Council for Continuing Medical Education through the joint sponsorship of Medscape, LLC and Emerging Infectious Diseases. Medscape, LLC is accredited by the ACCME to provide continuing medical education for physicians.
Medscape, LLC designates this Journal-based CME activity for a maximum of 1 AMA PRA Category 1 Credit(s)TM. Physicians should claim only the credit commensurate with the extent of their participation in the activity.
All other clinicians completing this activity will be issued a certificate of participation. To participate in this journal CME activity: (1) review the learning objectives and author disclosures; (2) study the education content; (3) take the post-test with a 70% minimum passing score and complete the evaluation at www.medscape.org/journal/eid; (4) view/print certificate.
Release date: February 19, 2013; Expiration date: February 19, 2014
Upon completion of this activity, participants will be able to:
• Describe rates of HIV co-infection among persons with tuberculosis (TB) in California, and changes in TB incidence among persons with HIV from 1993 to 2008 in California, based on an epidemiological study using registry and surveillance system data
• Compare characteristics of patients with TB/HIV co-infection in the modern era with those in the pre-HAART era, based on an epidemiological study using registry and surveillance system data
• Describe mortality and other characteristics of TB/HIV in California, based on an epidemiological study using registry and surveillance system data.
Karen L. Foster, Technical Writer/Editor, Emerging Infectious Diseases. Disclosure: Karen L. Foster has disclosed no relevant financial relationships.
Laurie Barclay, MD, freelance writer and reviewer, Medscape, LLC. Disclosure: Laurie Barclay, MD, has disclosed no relevant financial relationships.
Disclosures: John Z. Metcalfe, MD, MPH; Travis Porco, PhD, MPH; Janice Westenhouse, MPH; Mark Damesyn, PhD; Matt Facer, PhD; Julia Hill, BS; Qiang Xia, MD, MPH; James P. Watt, MD, MPH; Philip Hopewell, MD; and Jennifer Flood, MD, MPH, have disclosed no relevant financial relationships.
Comments to the EID Editors
Please contact the EID Editors via our Contact Form.
- Page created: February 14, 2013
- Page last updated: February 14, 2013
- Page last reviewed: February 14, 2013
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention,
National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases (NCEZID)
Office of the Director (OD)