Volume 11, Number 11—November 2005
Norovirus Outbreaks from Drinking Water
|Outbreak||Date||No. exposed/no. ill||Water source|
|E1, community*||Mar 1998||5,000/2,500||Surface water used as tap water|
|E2, community||Apr 1998||15,000/2,000||Ground water|
|E3, rental camp cottage||Jul 1998||45/13||Well|
|E4, camp on island||Aug 1998||120/40||Communal, well|
|E5, community||Jan 1999||2,500/200||Ground water|
|E6, factory area||Feb 1999||250/100||Ground water|
|E7, community||Apr 1999||160/58||Ground water|
|E8, spa||Jul 1999||100/60||Well|
|E9, community*||Mar 2000||10,000/5,500||Ground water|
|E10, private household||Aug 2000||14/13||Well (drilled)|
|E11, community||Dec 2000||2,200/300||Ground water|
|E12, farm (for guests)||Apr 2002||50/25||Well (dug)|
|E13, community||Oct 2002||960/300||Ground water|
|E14, guest house||Feb 2003||13/11||Lake water used for drinking|
|E15, community||May 2003||150/95||Well (drilled)|
|E16, rental cottage||Aug 2003||25/20||Well|
|E17, holiday camp||May 2003||56/40||Surface water (river)|
|E18, community||Apr 2003||90/40||Ground water, broken pipe|
- Wyn-Jones A, Sellwood J. Enteric viruses in the aquatic environment. J Appl Microbiol. 2001;91:945–62.
- Green KY, Chanock M, Kapikian AZ. Human caliciviruses. In: Knipe D, editor. Fields virology. 4th ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott, Williams and Wilkins; 2001. p. 841–74.
- Vinje J, Hamidjaja RA, Sobsey MD. Development and application of a capsid VP1 (region D) based reverse transcription PCR assay for genotyping of genogroup I and II noroviruses. J Virol Methods. 2004;116:109–17.
- Koopmans M, von Bonsdorff CH, Vinje J, de Medici D, Monroe S. Foodborne viruses. FEMS Microbiol Rev. 2002;26:187–205.
- Mead P, Slutsker L, Dietz V, McCaig LF, Bresee JS, Shapiro C, Food-related illness and death in the United States. Emerg Infect Dis. 1999;5:607–25.
- Kaplan JE, Goodman RA, Schonberger LB, Lippy EC, Gary GW. Gastroenteritis due to Norwalk virus: an outbreak associated with a municipal water system. J Infect Dis. 1982;146:190–7.
- Blackburn BG, Craun GF, Yoder JS, Hill V, Calderon RL, Chen N, Surveillance for waterborne-disease outbreaks associated with drinking water—United States, 2001–2002. MMWR Surveill Summ. 2004;53:23–45.
- Beller M, Ellis A, Lee SH, Drebot MA, Jenkerson SA, Funk E, Outbreak of viral gastroenteritis due to a contaminated well. International consequences. JAMA. 1997;278:563–8.
- Vinje J, Vennema H, Maunula L, von Bonsdorff CH, Hoehne M, Schreier E, International collaborative study to compare reverse transcriptase PCR assays for detection and genotyping of noroviruses. J Clin Microbiol. 2003;41:1423–33.
- Kukkula M, Maunula L, Silvennoinen E, von Bonsdorff CH. Outbreak of viral gastroenteritis due to drinking water contaminated by Norwalk-like viruses. J Infect Dis. 1999;180:1771–6.
- PHLS Communicable Disease Surveillance Centre. Strength of association between human illness and water: revised definitions for use in outbreak investigation. Commun Dis Rep CDR Wkly. 1996;6:65,8.
- Gilgen M, Germann D, Lüthy J, Hübner P. Three-step isolation method for sensitive detection of enterovirus, rotavirus, hepatitis A virus, and small round structured viruses in water samples. Int J Food Microbiol. 1997;•••:189–99.
- Maunula L, Piiparinen H, von Bonsdorff CH. Confirmation of Norwalk-like virus amplicons after RT-PCR by microplate hybridization and direct sequencing. J Virol Methods. 1999;83:125–34.
- Le Guyader F, Estes MK, Hardy ME, Neill FH, Green J, Brown DW, Evaluation of a degenerate primer for the PCR detection of human caliciviruses. Arch Virol. 1996;141:2225–35.
- Wang J, Jiang X, Madore HP, Gray J, Desselberger U, Ando T, Sequence diversity of small, round-structured viruses in the Norwalk virus group. J Virol. 1994;68:5982–90.
- Green J, Gallimore CI, Norcott JP, Lewis D, Brown DW. Broadly reactive reverse transcriptase polymerase chain reaction for the diagnosis of SRSV-associated gastroenteritis. J Med Virol. 1995;47:392–8.
- Vinje J, Green J, Lewis DC, Gallimore CI, Brown DW, Koopmans MP. Genetic polymorphism across regions of the three open reading frames of "Norwalk-like viruses.". Arch Virol. 2000;145:223–41.
- Koopmans M, Vennema H, Heersma H, van Strien E, van Duynhoven Y, Brown D, Early identification of common-source foodborne virus outbreaks in Europe. Emerg Infect Dis. 2003;9:1136–42.
- Kuusi M, Nuorti JP, Maunula L, Miettinen I, Pesonen H, von Bonsdorff CH. Internet use and epidemiologic investigation of gastroenteritis outbreak. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004;10:447–50.
- Lopman B, Vennema H, Kohli E, Pothier P, Sanchez A, Negredo A, Increase in viral gastroenteritis outbreaks in Europe and epidemic spread of new norovirus variant. Lancet. 2004;363:682–8.
- Maunula L, von Bonsdorff C-H. Norovirus genotypes causing gastroenteritis outbreaks in Finland 1998–2002. J Clin Virol. Epub 2005 May 20.
- Parshionikar SU, Willian-True S, Fout GS, Robbins DE, Seys SA, Cassady JD, Waterborne outbreak of gastroenteritis associated with a norovirus. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2003;69:5263–8.
- Hoebe CJ, Vennema H, Husman AM, van Duynhoven YT. Norovirus outbreak among primary schoolchildren who had played in a recreational water fountain. J Infect Dis. 2004;189:699–705.
- Noel JS, Fankhauser RL, Ando T, Monroe SS, Glass RI. Identification of a distinct common strain of "Norwalk-like viruses" having a global distribution. J Infect Dis. 1999;179:1334–44.
- Fankhauser RL, Monroe SS, Noel JS, Humphrey CD, Bresee JS, Parashar UD, Epidemiologic and molecular trends of "Norwalk-like viruses" associated with outbreaks of gastroenteritis in the United States. J Infect Dis. 2002;186:1–7.
- Nygard K, Torven M, Ancker C, Knauth SB, Hedlund KO, Giesecke J, Emerging genotype (GGIIb) of norovirus in drinking water, Sweden. Emerg Infect Dis. 2003;9:1548–52.
- Lapinleimu K, Stenvik M. The efficacy of polio vaccination in Finland. Dev Biol Stand. 1978;41:137–9.
- Boccia D, Tozzi AE, Cotter B, Rizzo C, Russo T, Buttinelli G, Waterborne outbreak of Norwalk-like virus gastroenteritis at a tourist resort, Italy. Emerg Infect Dis. 2002;8:563–8.
- Anderson AD, Heryford AG, Sarisky JP, Higgins C, Monroe SS, Beard RS, A waterborne outbreak of Norwalk-like virus among snowmobilers—Wyoming, 2001. J Infect Dis. 2003;187:303–6.
- Kageyama T, Kojima S, Shinohara M, Uchida K, Fukushi S, Hoshino FB, Broadly reactive and highly sensitive assay for Norwalk-like viruses based on real-time quantitative reverse transcription-PCR. J Clin Microbiol. 2003;41:1548–57.
- Hohne M, Schreier E. Detection and characterization of norovirus outbreaks in Germany: application of a one-tube RT-PCR using a fluorogenic real-time detection system. J Med Virol. 2004;72:312–9.
- Beuret C. Simultaneous detection of enteric viruses by multiplex real-time RT-PCR. J Virol Methods. 2004;115:1–8.
- World Health Organization. Guidelines for drinking-water quality. 3rd ed [monograph on the Internet]. 2004 [cited 2005 Sep 8]. Available from http://www.who.int/water_sanitation_health/dwq/gdwq3/en/
- Payment P, Franco E, Fout GS. Incidence of Norwalk virus infections during a prospective epidemiological study of drinking water-related gastrointestinal illness. Can J Microbiol. 1994;40:805–9.
- Lees D. Viruses and bivalve shellfish. Int J Food Microbiol. 2000;59:81–116.
Page created: February 17, 2012
Page updated: February 17, 2012
Page reviewed: February 17, 2012
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.