About the Emerging Infectious Diseases journal
Emerging Infectious Diseases is an open access journal published monthly by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). The journal is published online and also has a limited print run on acid free paper that meets the requirements of ANSI/NISO Z39.48-1984 (Permanence of Paper). Publication in EID enables compliance with the NIH Public Access Policy.
Emerging Infectious Diseases follows the International Committee of Medical Journal Editors recommendations for the conduct, reporting, editing, and publishing of scholarly work in medical journals. The journal’s peer review process allows for critical assessment of submitted manuscripts by experts who are usually not part of its editorial staff. As an independent publication, the journal’s peer-review process operates independently from CDC’s clearance processes.
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to Emerging Infectious Diseases do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by the Public Health Service or by the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services.
Contact us for additional information.
2015 Impact Factor (Journal Citation Reports, 2014)
- Ranked 3rd of 78 infectious disease journals and 1st among open-access journals
Google Scholar h-Index
- h5-index:74; h5-median:100
- Ranked 3rd of top 20 publications in Epidemiology and 2nd among open-access journals
Ranked 9th among top 20 publications in Communicable Diseases and 1st among open-access journals
Indexing and Full Text Content
Emerging Infectious Diseases is indexed in Index Medicus/Medline, Current Contents, Excerpta Medica, Literature, Arts, and Medicine Database. Full text content is available in PubMed Central, CrossRef, and LinkOut.
Submissions and Acceptance
- Emerging Infectious Diseases receives more than 2,000 manuscripts per year (most unsolicited, some invited) from authors around the world.
- Approximately 25% of submitted articles are accepted.
- 4,275 subscribers to print version
- 87,103 subscribers to table of contents
- The journal site receives millions of hits annually (CDC Web Statistics)
- 150,898 unique subscribers to any of EID’s GovDelivery emails
EMERGING INFECTIOUS DISEASES ™ is a trademark of the US Department of Health and Human Services.
- Page created: July 21, 2009
- Page last updated: December 15, 2015
- Page last reviewed: December 15, 2015
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention,
National Center for Emerging and Zoonotic Infectious Diseases (NCEZID)
Office of the Director (OD)