Volume 26, Number 2—February 2020
Two Cases of Newly Characterized Neisseria Species, Brazil
- Harrison OB, Claus H, Jiang Y, Bennett JS, Bratcher HB, Jolley KA, et al. Description and nomenclature of Neisseria meningitidis capsule locus. Emerg Infect Dis. 2013;19:566–73.
- Castillo D, Harcourt B, Hatcher C, Jackson M, Katz L, Mair R, et al. Laboratory methods for the diagnosis of meningitis caused by Neisseria meningitidis, Streptococcus pneumoniae, and Haemophilus influenzae, second edition [cited 2019 Dec10]. https://www.cdc.gov/meningitis/lab-manual/index.html
- Alkmin MG, Shimizu SH, Landgraf IM, Gaspari EN, Melles CE. Production and immunochemical characterization of Neisseria meningitidis group B antiserum for the diagnosis of purulent meningitis. Braz J Med Biol Res. 1994;27:1627–34.
- Mothershed EA, Sacchi CT, Whitney AM, Barnett GA, Ajello GW, Schmink S, et al. Use of real-time PCR to resolve slide agglutination discrepancies in serogroup identification of Neisseria meningitidis. J Clin Microbiol. 2004;42:320–8.
- Wick RR, Judd LM, Gorrie CL, Holt KE. Unicycler: resolving bacterial genome assemblies from short and long sequencing reads. PLOS Comput Biol. 2017;13:
- Bennett JS, Jolley KA, Earle SG, Corton C, Bentley SD, Parkhill J, et al. A genomic approach to bacterial taxonomy: an examination and proposed reclassification of species within the genus Neisseria. Microbiology. 2012;158:1570–80.
- Jolley KA, Bliss CM, Bennett JS, Bratcher HB, Brehony C, Colles FM, et al. Ribosomal multilocus sequence typing: universal characterization of bacteria from domain to strain. Microbiology. 2012;158:1005–15.
- Lee I, Ouk Kim Y, Park SC, Chun J. OrthoANI: An improved algorithm and software for calculating average nucleotide identity. Int J Syst Evol Microbiol. 2016;66:1100–3.
- Mustapha MM, Marsh JW, Krauland MG, Fernandez JO, de Lemos APS, Dunning Hotopp JC, et al. Genomic investigation reveals highly conserved, mosaic, recombination events associated with capsular switching among invasive Neisseria meningitidis serogroup W sequence type (ST)-11 strains. Genome Biol Evol. 2016;8:2065–75.
- Clemence MEA, Maiden MCJ, Harrison OB. Characterization of capsule genes in non-pathogenic Neisseria species. Microb Genom. 2018;4.
Page created: January 20, 2020
Page updated: January 20, 2020
Page reviewed: January 20, 2020
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.