Skip directly to search Skip directly to A to Z list Skip directly to page options Skip directly to site content

Pay Attention to Your Health When You Come Home

If you are not feeling well, you should see a doctor and mention that you have recently traveled.

You may wish to consult with an infectious disease doctor or travel medicine doctor. Most doctors who specialize in the diseases of travel are infectious diseases (ID) physicians. To find a list of private doctors who specialize in travel health, consult the directories located at: (American Society of Tropical Medicine and Hygiene - ASTMH) or (International Society of Travel Medicine - ISTM). CDC provides these directories as a courtesy to the public but does not endorse any health-care provider.

If you have visited a malaria-risk area:

  • It is very important that you continue taking your antimalarial drug for 4 weeks (if you are taking doxycycline or mefloquine) or seven days (if you are taking atovaquone/proguanil) after leaving the risk area.
  • Malaria is always a serious disease and may be a deadly illness. If you become ill with a fever or flu-like illness either while traveling in a malaria-risk area or after you return home (for up to 1 year), you should seek immediate medical attention and should tell the physician your travel history.