Volume 10, Number 4—April 2004
Pediatric Influenza Prevention and Control
|Variable||Vaccine recipients, n = 67 (%)||Control participants n = 66, (%)||Vaccine efficacy, %||p value|
|Febrile respiratory illness
|>1 course of antibiotics
|>1 AOM episode
|>2 AOM episodes||6 (9.0)||16 (24.2)||63.1||0.03|
aModified from P. Marchisio et al. (13).
- Prevention and control of influenza: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). [Erratum in: MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep 2003;52:526]. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2003;52(RR-8):1–34.
- Glezen WP. Influenza vaccination for healthy children. Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2002;15:283–7.
- Rennels MB, Meissner C; Committee on Infectious Diseases, American Academy of Pediatrics. Technical report. Reduction of the influenza burden in children. Pediatrics. 2002;110:e80.
- Baltimore RS, Jenson HB. New recommendations for influenza vaccination for children and pregnant women. Curr Opin Pediatr. 2003;15:74–6.
- Neuzil KM, Mellen BG, Wright PF, Mitchel EF, Griffin MR. The effect of influenza on hospitalizations, outpatient visits, and courses of antibiotics in children. N Engl J Med. 2000;342:225–31.
- Izurieta HS, Thompson WW, Kramarz P, Shay DK, Davis RL, DeStefano F, Influenza and the rates of hospitalization for respiratory disease among infants and young children. N Engl J Med. 2000;342:232–9.
- Chiu SS, Lau YL, Chan KH, Wong WHS, Peiris JSM. Influenza-related hospitalizations among children in Hong Kong. N Engl J Med. 2002;347:2097–103.
- Porter CC, Poehling KA, Hamilton R, Frangoul H, Cooper WO. Influenza immunization practices among pediatric oncologists. J Pediatr Hematol Oncol. 2003;25:134–8.
- Poehling KA, Speroff T, Dittus RS, Griffin MR, Hickson GB, Edwards KM. Predictors of influenza virus vaccination status in hospitalized children. Pediatrics. 2001;108:e99.
- Esposito S, Marchisio P, Faelli N, Gasparini R, Droghetti R, Gironi S, Nonadherence with influenza vaccination in children with chronic medical conditions. In: Abstracts of the 23rd International Congress of Chemotherapy; Durban, South Africa; 2003 June 7–10; Abstract MO 104. Geneva: International Society of Chemotherapy; 2003.
- Hurwitz ES, Haber M, Chang A, Shope T, Teo S, Ginsberg M, Effectiveness of influenza vaccination of day care children in reducing influenza-related morbidity among household contacts. JAMA. 2000;284:1677–82.
- Reichert TA, Sugaya N, Fedson DS, Glezen WP, Simonsen L, Tashiro M. The Japanese experience with vaccinating schoolchildren against influenza. N Engl J Med. 2001;344:889–96.
- Marchisio P, Cavagna R, Maspes B, Gironi S, Esposito S, Lambertini L, Efficacy of intranasal virosomal influenza vaccine in the prevention of recurrent acute otitis media in children. Clin Infect Dis. 2002;35:168–74.
- Esposito S, Marchisio P, Cavagna R, Gironi S, Bosis S, Lambertini L, Effectiveness of influenza vaccination of children with recurrent respiratory tract infections in reducing respiratory-related morbidity within the households. Vaccine. 2003;21:3162–8.
- Neuzil KM, Wright PF, Mitchel EF, Griffin MR. The burden of influenza illness in children with asthma and other chronic medical conditions. J Pediatr. 2000;137:856–64.
- Loughlin J, Poulios N, Napalkov P, Wegmüller Y, Monto AS. A study of influenza and influenza-related complications among children in a large US health insurance plan database. Pharmacoeconomics. 2003;21:273–83.
- Kramarz P, DeStefano F, Gargiullo PM, Davis RL, Chen RT, Mullooly JP, Influenza vaccination in children with asthma in health maintenance organizations. Vaccine. 2000;18:2288–94.
- Gaglani M, Riggs M, Kamenicky C, Glezen WP. Computerized reminder strategy is effective for annual influenza immunization of children with asthma or reactive airways disease. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2001;20:1155–60.
- Marshall BC, Henshow C, Evans DO, Bleyl K, Alder S, Liou TG. Influenza vaccination coverage level at a cystic fibrosis center. Pediatrics. 2002;109:e80.
- Grant VJ, Le Saux N, Plint AC, Correll R, Gaboury I, Ellis E, Factors influencing childhood influenza immunization. CMAJ. 2003;168:39–41.
- Centers for Disease Control. Influenza and pneumococcal vaccination levels among persons aged >65 years in the United States, 1999. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2001;50:532–7.
- Nichol KL, Nordin J, Mullooly J, Lask R, Fillbrandt K, Iwane M. Influenza vaccination and reduction in hospitalizations for cardiac disease and stroke among the elderly. N Engl J Med. 2003;348:1322–32.
- Kramarz P, DeStefano F, Gargiullo PM, Chen RT, Lieu TA, Davis RL, Does influenza vaccination prevent asthma exacerbations in children? J Pediatr. 2001;138:306–10.
- American Lung Association Asthma Research Centers. The safety of inactivated influenza vaccine in adults and children with asthma. N Engl J Med. 2001;345:1529–36.
- Neuzil KM, Dupont WD, Wright PF, Edwards KM. Efficacy of inactivated and cold-adapted vaccines against influenza A infection, 1985 to 1990: the pediatric experience. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2001;20:733–40.
- Belshe RB, Mendelman PM, Treanor J, King J, Gruber WC, Piedra P, The efficacy of live attenuated, cold-adapted, trivalent, intranasal influenzavirus vaccine in children. N Engl J Med. 1998;338:1405–12.
- American Academy of Pediatrics. Influenza. In: American Academy of Pediatrics, editor. Report of the Committee on Infectious Diseases. Red Book 2000. 25th ed. Elk Grove Village (IL): American Academy of Pediatrics; 2000. p. 351–9.
- Zangwill KM. Cold-adapted, live attenuated intranasal influenza virus vaccine. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2003;22:273–4.
- Rimmelzwaan GF, Osterhaus ADME. Influenza vaccines: new developments. Curr Opin Pharmacol. 2001;1:491–6.
- Berman S. Otitis media in children. N Engl J Med. 1995;332:1560–5.
- Heikkinen T, Ruuskanen O, Waris M, Ziegler T, Arola M, Halonen P. Influenza vaccination in the prevention of acute otitis media in children. Am J Dis Child. 1991;145:445–8.
- Nokso-Koivisto J, Pitkäranta A, Blomqvist S, Jokinen J, Kleemola M, Takala A, Viral etiology of frequently recurring respiratory tract infections in children. Clin Infect Dis. 2002;35:540–6.
- Monto AS, Kioumehr F. The Tecumseh study of respiratory illness IX. Occurrence of influenza in the community, 1966–1971. Am J Epidemiol. 1975;102:553–63.
- Neuzil KM, Hohlbein C, Zhu Y. Illness among schoolchildren during influenza season. Effect on school absenteeism, parental absenteeism from work, and secondary illness in families. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2002;156:986–91.
- Neuzil KM, Zhu Y, Griffin MR, Edwards KM, Thompson JM, Tollefson SJ, Burden of interpandemic influenza in children younger than 5 years: a 25-year prospective study. J Infect Dis. 2002;185:147–52.
- Esposito S, Marchisio P, Gasparini R, Bosis S, Lambertini L, Durando P, Socioeconomic effect of influenza in pediatric age. In: Abstracts of the 3rd World Congress of Pediatric Infectious Diseases – WSPID; Santiago, Chile; 2002 November 19–23; p. 72.
- Fox JP, Hall CE, Cooney MK, Foy HM. Influenza virus infections in Seattle families, 1975-1979. Study design, methods and the occurrence of infections by time and age. Am J Epidemiol. 1982;116:212–27.
- Khan AS, Polezhaev F, Vasiljeva R, Drinevsky V, Buffington J, Gary H, Comparison of US inactivated split-virus and Russian live attenuated, cold-adapted trivalent influenza vaccines in Russian schoolchildren. J Infect Dis. 1996;173:453–6.
- Esposito S, Marchisio P, Gasparini R, Bosis S, Lambertini L, Claut L, Effectiveness of influenza vaccination of healthy children in reducing respiratory-related morbidity. In: Abstracts of the 3rd World Congress of Pediatric Infectious Diseases – WSPID; Santiago, Chile; 2002 November 19–23; p. 71.
- Nichol KL, Lind A, Margolis KL, Murdoch M, McFadden R, Hauge M, The effectiveness of vaccination against influenza in healthy, working adults. N Engl J Med. 1995;333:889–93.
- Monto AS, Davenport FM. Modification of an outbreak of influenza in Tecumseh, Michigan by vaccination of school children. J Infect Dis. 1970;122:16–25.
- White T, Lavoie S, Nettleman MD. Potential cost savings attributable to influenza vaccination of school-aged children. Pediatrics. 1999;103:e73.
- Cohen G, Nettleman MD. Economic impact of influenza vaccination in preschool children. Pediatrics. 2000;106:973–6.
- Luce BR, Zangwill KM, Palmer CS, Mendelman PM, Yan L, Wolff MC, Cost-effectiveness analysis of an intranasal influenza vaccine for the prevention of influenza in healthy children. Pediatrics. 2001;108:e24.
- Nichol KL. The efficacy, effectiveness and cost-effectiveness of inactivated influenza virus vaccines. Vaccine. 2003;21:1769–75.
Page created: February 09, 2011
Page updated: February 09, 2011
Page reviewed: February 09, 2011
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.