Volume 11, Number 9—September 2005
Divergent HIV and Simian Immunodeficiency Virus Surveillance, Zaire
- Sharp PM, Bailes E, Chaudhuri RR, Rodenburg CM, Santiago MO, Hahn BH. The origins of acquired immune deficiency syndrome viruses: where and when? Philos Trans R Soc Lond B Biol Sci. 2001;356:867–76.
- Apetrei C, Metzger MJ, Richardsin D, Ling B, Telfer PT, Reed P, Detection and partial characterization simian immunodeficiency virus SIVmn strains from bush meat samples from rural Sierra Leone. J Virol. 2005;79:2631–6.
- Peeters M, Courgnaud V, Abela B, Auzel P, Pourrut X, Bibollet-Ruche F, Risk to human health from a plethora of simian immunodeficiency viruses in primate bushmeat. Emerg Infect Dis. 2002;8:451–7.
- Wilkie DS, Godoy RA. Economics of bushmeat. Science. 2000;287:975–6.
- Souquiere S, Bibollet-Ruche F, Robertson DL, Makuwa M, Apetrei C, Onanga R, Wild Mandrillus sphinx are carriers of two types of lentivirus. J Virol. 2001;75:7086–96.
- Kalish ML, Ndongmo CB, Wolfe ND, Fonjungo P, Alemnji G, Zeh C, Evidence for continued exposure to and possible infection of humans with SIV. In: Tenth international workshop on HIV dynamics and evolution; 2003 Apr 13–16; Lake Arrowhead, California; 2003.
- Kleinman S, Fitzpatrick L, Secord K, Wilke D. Follow-up testing and notification of anti-HIV Western blot atypical (indeterminant) donors. Transfusion. 1988;28:280–2.
- Povolotsky J, Gold JW, Chein N, Baron P, Armstrong D. Differences in human immunodeficiency virus type 1 (HIV-1) anti-p24 reactivities in serum of HIV-1–infected and uninfected subjects: analysis of indeterminate Western blot reactions. J Infect Dis. 1991;163:247–51.
- Delaporte E, Peeters M, Simon F, Dupont A, Schrijvers D, Kerouedan D, Interpretation of antibodies reacting solely with human retroviral core proteins in western equatorial Africa. AIDS. 1989;3:179–82.
- Huet T, Dazza MC, Brun-Vezinet F, Roelants GE, Wain-Hobson S. A highly defective HIV-1 strain isolated from a healthy Gabonese individual presenting an atypical Western blot. AIDS. 1989;3:707–15.
- Kalish ML, Robbins KE, Pieniazek D, Schaefer A, Nzilambi N, Quinn TC, Recombinant viruses and early global HIV-1 epidemic. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004;10:1227–34.
- Felsenstein J. PHYLIP-phylogeny interference package (version 3.2). Cladistics. 1989;5:164–6.
- Yang C, Dash BC, Simon F, van der Groen G, Pieniazek D, Gao F, Detection of diverse variants of human immunodeficiency virus–1 groups M, N, and O and simian immunodeficiency viruses from chimpanzees by using generic pol and env primer pairs. J Infect Dis. 2000;181:1791–5.
- Pieniazek D, Ellenberger D, Janini LM, Ramos AC, Nkengasong J, Sassan-Morokro M, Predominance of human immunodeficiency virus type 2 subtype B in Abidjan, Ivory Coast. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 1999;15:603–8.
- Masciotra S, Yang C, Pieniazek D, Thomas C, Owen SM, McClure HM, Detection of simian immunodeficiency virus in diverse species and of human immunodeficiency virus type 2 by using consensus primers within the pol region. J Clin Microbiol. 2002;40:3167–71.
- Alizon M, Montagnier L. Genetic variability in human immunodeficiency viruses. Ann N Y Acad Sci. 1987;511:376–84.
Page created: April 23, 2012
Page updated: April 23, 2012
Page reviewed: April 23, 2012
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.