Volume 12, Number 1—January 2006
Estimating Influenza Hospitalizations among Children
- Aymard M, Valette M, Luciani J; The Sentinel Physicians from the Grippe et Infections Respiratoires Aigues Pediatriques Network. Burden of influenza in children: preliminary data from a pilot survey network on community diseases. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2003;22(Suppl):S211–4.
- Neuzil KM, Zhu Y, Griffin MR, Edwards KM, Thompson JM, Tollefson SJ, Burden of interpandemic influenza in children younger than 5 years: a 25-year prospective study. J Infect Dis. 2002;185:147–52.
- Cox NJ, Subbarao K. Global epidemiology of influenza: past and present. Annu Rev Med. 2000;51:407–21.
- Hilleman MR. Realities and enigmas of human viral influenza: pathogenesis, epidemiology and control. Vaccine. 2002;20:3068–87.
- Lavanchy D. The importance of global surveillance of influenza. Vaccine. 1999;17(Suppl 1):S24–5.
- Klimov A, Simonsen L, Fukuda K, Cox N. Surveillance and impact of influenza in the United States. Vaccine. 1999;17(Suppl 1):S42–6.
- Griffin MR, Coffey CS, Neuzil KM, Mitchel EF Jr, Wright PF, Edwards KM. Winter viruses: influenza- and respiratory syncytial virus–related morbidity in chronic lung disease. Arch Intern Med. 2002;162:1229–36.
- Izurieta HS, Thompson WW, Kramarz P, Shay DK, Davis RL, DeStefano F, Influenza and the rates of hospitalization for respiratory disease among infants and young children. N Engl J Med. 2000;342:232–9.
- Thompson WW, Shay DK, Weintraub E, Brammer L, Bridges CB, Cox NJ, Influenza-associated hospitalizations in the United States. JAMA. 2004;292:1333–40.
- O'Brien MA, Uyeki TM, Shay DK, Thompson WW, Kleinman K, McAdam A, Incidence of outpatient visits and hospitalizations related to influenza in infants and young children. Pediatrics. 2004;113:585–93.
- Neuzil KM, Mellen BG, Wright PF, Mitchel EF Jr, Griffin MR. The effect of influenza on hospitalizations, outpatient visits, and courses of antibiotics in children. N Engl J Med. 2000;342:225–31.
- Rennels MB, Meissner HC. Technical report: reduction of the influenza burden in children. Pediatrics. 2002;110:e80.
- Stephenson I, Zambon M. The epidemiology of influenza. Occup Med (Lond). 2002;52:241–7.
- Iwane MK, Edwards KM, Szilagyi PG, Walker FJ, Griffin MR, Weinberg GA, Population-based surveillance for hospitalizations associated with respiratory syncytial virus, influenza virus, and parainfluenza viruses among young children. Pediatrics. 2004;113:1758–64.
- Heikkinen T, Salmi AA, Ruuskanen O. Comparative study of nasopharyngeal aspirate and nasal swab specimens for detection of influenza. BMJ. 2001;322:138.
- Heikkinen T, Marttila J, Salmi AA, Ruuskanen O. Nasal swab versus nasopharyngeal aspirate for isolation of respiratory viruses. J Clin Microbiol. 2002;40:4337–9.
- Ipp M, Carson S, Petric M, Parkin PC. Rapid painless diagnosis of viral respiratory infection. Arch Dis Child. 2002;86:372–3.
- Weinberg GA, Erdman DD, Edwards KM, Hall CB, Walker FJ, Griffin MR, Superiority of reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction to conventional viral culture in the diagnosis of acute respiratory tract infections in children. J Infect Dis. 2004;189:706–10.
- Schuchat A, Hilger T, Zell E, Farley MM, Reingold A, Harrison L, Active bacterial core surveillance of the emerging infections program network. Emerg Infect Dis. 2001;7:92–9.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Flu activity website. [cited 15 Aug 2005]. Available from http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly//fluactivity.htm
- Chao A, Tsay PK, Lin SH, Shau WY, Chao DY. The applications of capture-recapture models to epidemiological data. Stat Med. 2001;20:3123–57.
- Gjini A, Stuart JM, George RC, Nichols T, Heyderman RS. Capture-recapture analysis and pneumococcal meningitis estimates in England. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004;10:87–93.
- Hook EB, Regal RR. Capture-recapture methods in epidemiology: methods and limitations. Epidemiol Rev. 1995;17:243–64.
- International Working Group for Disease Monitoring and Forecasting. Capture-recapture and multiple-record systems estimation. I. History and theoretical development. Am J Epidemiol. 1995;142:1047–58.
- Wittes JT. Note: On the bias and estimated variance of Chapman's two-sample capture-recapture population estimate. Biometrics. 1972;28:592–7.
- Regal RR, Hook EB. Goodness-of-fit based confidence intervals for estimates of the size of a closed population. Stat Med. 1984;3:287–91.
- Poehling KA, Griffin MR, Dittus RS, Tang YW, Holland K, Li H, Bedside diagnosis of influenzavirus infections in hospitalized children. Pediatrics. 2002;110:83–8.
- Rodriguez WJ, Schwartz RH, Thorne MM. Evaluation of diagnostic tests for influenza in a pediatric practice. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2002;21:193–6.
- Ruest A, Michaud S, Deslandes S, Frost EH. Comparison of the Directigen flu A+B test, the QuickVue influenza test, and clinical case definition to viral culture and reverse transcription-PCR for rapid diagnosis of influenza virus infection. J Clin Microbiol. 2003;41:3487–93.
- Cazacu AC, Chung SE, Greer J, Demmler GJ. Comparison of the directigen flu A+B membrane enzyme immunoassay with viral culture for rapid detection of influenza A and B viruses in respiratory specimens. J Clin Microbiol. 2004;42:3707–10.
- International Working Group for Disease Monitoring and Forecasting. Capture-recapture and multiple-record systems estimation. II. Applications in human diseases. Am J Epidemiol. 1995;142:1059–68.
- Goldman GS. Using capture-recapture methods to assess varicella incidence in a community under active surveillance. Vaccine. 2003;21:4250–5.
- Whitfield K, Kelly H. Using the two-source capture-recapture method to estimate the incidence of acute flaccid paralysis in Victoria, Australia. Bull World Health Organ. 2002;80:846–51.
- Lange JH, Chang YF, LaPorte RE. Use of the capture-recapture method for epidemiological studies in determining prevalence. Acta Neurol Scand. 2004;109:79–80.
- Harper SA, Fukuda K, Uyeki TM, Cox NJ, Bridges CB; Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prevention and control of influenza: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2005;54:1–40.
- American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Infectious Diseases. Recommendations for influenza immunization of children. Pediatrics. 2004;113:1441–7.