Volume 12, Number 1—January 2006
Estimating Influenza Hospitalizations among Children
- Aymard M, Valette M, Luciani J; The Sentinel Physicians from the Grippe et Infections Respiratoires Aigues Pediatriques Network. Burden of influenza in children: preliminary data from a pilot survey network on community diseases. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2003;22(Suppl):S211–4.
- Neuzil KM, Zhu Y, Griffin MR, Edwards KM, Thompson JM, Tollefson SJ, Burden of interpandemic influenza in children younger than 5 years: a 25-year prospective study. J Infect Dis. 2002;185:147–52.
- Cox NJ, Subbarao K. Global epidemiology of influenza: past and present. Annu Rev Med. 2000;51:407–21.
- Hilleman MR. Realities and enigmas of human viral influenza: pathogenesis, epidemiology and control. Vaccine. 2002;20:3068–87.
- Lavanchy D. The importance of global surveillance of influenza. Vaccine. 1999;17(Suppl 1):S24–5.
- Klimov A, Simonsen L, Fukuda K, Cox N. Surveillance and impact of influenza in the United States. Vaccine. 1999;17(Suppl 1):S42–6.
- Griffin MR, Coffey CS, Neuzil KM, Mitchel EF Jr, Wright PF, Edwards KM. Winter viruses: influenza- and respiratory syncytial virus–related morbidity in chronic lung disease. Arch Intern Med. 2002;162:1229–36.
- Izurieta HS, Thompson WW, Kramarz P, Shay DK, Davis RL, DeStefano F, Influenza and the rates of hospitalization for respiratory disease among infants and young children. N Engl J Med. 2000;342:232–9.
- Thompson WW, Shay DK, Weintraub E, Brammer L, Bridges CB, Cox NJ, Influenza-associated hospitalizations in the United States. JAMA. 2004;292:1333–40.
- O'Brien MA, Uyeki TM, Shay DK, Thompson WW, Kleinman K, McAdam A, Incidence of outpatient visits and hospitalizations related to influenza in infants and young children. Pediatrics. 2004;113:585–93.
- Neuzil KM, Mellen BG, Wright PF, Mitchel EF Jr, Griffin MR. The effect of influenza on hospitalizations, outpatient visits, and courses of antibiotics in children. N Engl J Med. 2000;342:225–31.
- Rennels MB, Meissner HC. Technical report: reduction of the influenza burden in children. Pediatrics. 2002;110:e80.
- Stephenson I, Zambon M. The epidemiology of influenza. Occup Med (Lond). 2002;52:241–7.
- Iwane MK, Edwards KM, Szilagyi PG, Walker FJ, Griffin MR, Weinberg GA, Population-based surveillance for hospitalizations associated with respiratory syncytial virus, influenza virus, and parainfluenza viruses among young children. Pediatrics. 2004;113:1758–64.
- Heikkinen T, Salmi AA, Ruuskanen O. Comparative study of nasopharyngeal aspirate and nasal swab specimens for detection of influenza. BMJ. 2001;322:138.
- Heikkinen T, Marttila J, Salmi AA, Ruuskanen O. Nasal swab versus nasopharyngeal aspirate for isolation of respiratory viruses. J Clin Microbiol. 2002;40:4337–9.
- Ipp M, Carson S, Petric M, Parkin PC. Rapid painless diagnosis of viral respiratory infection. Arch Dis Child. 2002;86:372–3.
- Weinberg GA, Erdman DD, Edwards KM, Hall CB, Walker FJ, Griffin MR, Superiority of reverse-transcription polymerase chain reaction to conventional viral culture in the diagnosis of acute respiratory tract infections in children. J Infect Dis. 2004;189:706–10.
- Schuchat A, Hilger T, Zell E, Farley MM, Reingold A, Harrison L, Active bacterial core surveillance of the emerging infections program network. Emerg Infect Dis. 2001;7:92–9.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Flu activity website. [cited 15 Aug 2005]. Available from http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly//fluactivity.htm
- Chao A, Tsay PK, Lin SH, Shau WY, Chao DY. The applications of capture-recapture models to epidemiological data. Stat Med. 2001;20:3123–57.
- Gjini A, Stuart JM, George RC, Nichols T, Heyderman RS. Capture-recapture analysis and pneumococcal meningitis estimates in England. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004;10:87–93.
- Hook EB, Regal RR. Capture-recapture methods in epidemiology: methods and limitations. Epidemiol Rev. 1995;17:243–64.
- International Working Group for Disease Monitoring and Forecasting. Capture-recapture and multiple-record systems estimation. I. History and theoretical development. Am J Epidemiol. 1995;142:1047–58.
- Wittes JT. Note: On the bias and estimated variance of Chapman's two-sample capture-recapture population estimate. Biometrics. 1972;28:592–7.
- Regal RR, Hook EB. Goodness-of-fit based confidence intervals for estimates of the size of a closed population. Stat Med. 1984;3:287–91.
- Poehling KA, Griffin MR, Dittus RS, Tang YW, Holland K, Li H, Bedside diagnosis of influenzavirus infections in hospitalized children. Pediatrics. 2002;110:83–8.
- Rodriguez WJ, Schwartz RH, Thorne MM. Evaluation of diagnostic tests for influenza in a pediatric practice. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2002;21:193–6.
- Ruest A, Michaud S, Deslandes S, Frost EH. Comparison of the Directigen flu A+B test, the QuickVue influenza test, and clinical case definition to viral culture and reverse transcription-PCR for rapid diagnosis of influenza virus infection. J Clin Microbiol. 2003;41:3487–93.
- Cazacu AC, Chung SE, Greer J, Demmler GJ. Comparison of the directigen flu A+B membrane enzyme immunoassay with viral culture for rapid detection of influenza A and B viruses in respiratory specimens. J Clin Microbiol. 2004;42:3707–10.
- International Working Group for Disease Monitoring and Forecasting. Capture-recapture and multiple-record systems estimation. II. Applications in human diseases. Am J Epidemiol. 1995;142:1059–68.
- Goldman GS. Using capture-recapture methods to assess varicella incidence in a community under active surveillance. Vaccine. 2003;21:4250–5.
- Whitfield K, Kelly H. Using the two-source capture-recapture method to estimate the incidence of acute flaccid paralysis in Victoria, Australia. Bull World Health Organ. 2002;80:846–51.
- Lange JH, Chang YF, LaPorte RE. Use of the capture-recapture method for epidemiological studies in determining prevalence. Acta Neurol Scand. 2004;109:79–80.
- Harper SA, Fukuda K, Uyeki TM, Cox NJ, Bridges CB; Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prevention and control of influenza: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2005;54:1–40.
- American Academy of Pediatrics Committee on Infectious Diseases. Recommendations for influenza immunization of children. Pediatrics. 2004;113:1441–7.
Page created: February 16, 2012
Page updated: February 16, 2012
Page reviewed: February 16, 2012
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.