Volume 15, Number 12—December 2009
Molecular Model of Prion Transmission to Humans
- Bruce ME. TSE strain variation. Br Med Bull. 2003;66:99–108.
- Prusiner SB. Prions. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1998;95:13363–83.
- Collinge J, Clark AR. A general model of prion strains and their pathogenicity. Science. 2007;318:930–6.
- Will RG, Ironside JW, Zeidler M, Cousens SN, Estibeiro K, Alperovitch A, Lancet. 1996;347:921–5.
- Collinge J, Sidle KC, Meads J, Ironside J, Hill AF. Molecular analysis of prion strain variation and the aetiology of ‘new variant’ CJD. Nature. 1996;383:685–90.
- Head MW, Bunn TJ, Bishop MT, McLoughlin V, Lowrie S, McKimmie J, Prion protein heterogeneity in sporadic but not variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease: UK cases 1991–2002. Ann Neurol. 2004;55:851–9.
- Eloit M, Adjou K, Coulpier M, Fontaine JJ, Hamel R, Lilin T, BSE agent signatures in a goat. Vet Rec. 2005;156:523–4.
- Supattapone S. Prion protein conversion in vitro. J Mol Med. 2004;82:348–56.
- Saborio GP, Permanne B, Soto C. Sensitive detection of pathological prion protein by cyclic amplification of protein misfolding. Nature. 2001;411:810–3.
- Jones M, Peden AH, Prowse CV, Groner A, Manson JC, Turner ML, In vitro amplification and detection of variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease PrPSc. J Pathol. 2007;213:21–6.
- Yull HM, Ritchie DL, Langeveld JP, van Zijderveld FG, Bruce ME, Ironside JW, Detection of type 1 prion protein in variant Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease. Am J Pathol. 2006;168:151–7.
- Jeffrey M, Martin S, Thomson JR, Dingwall WS, Begara-McGorum I, Gonzalez L. Onset and distribution of tissue prp accumulation in scrapie-affected Suffolk sheep as demonstrated by sequential necropsies and tonsillar biopsies. J Comp Pathol. 2001;125:48–57.
- Gonzalez L, Chianini F, Martin S, Siso S, Gibbard L, Reid HW, Comparative titration of experiment ovine BSE infectivity in sheep and mice. J Gen Virol. 2007;88:714–7.
- Bishop MT, Hart P, Aitchison L, Baybutt HN, Plinston C, Thomson V, Predicting susceptibility and incubation time of human-to-human transmission of vCJD. Lancet Neurol. 2006;5:393–8.
- Manson JC, Cancellotti E, Hart P, Bishop MT, Barron RM. The transmissible spongiform encephalopathies: emerging and declining epidemics. Biochem Soc Trans. 2006;34:1155–8.
Page created: December 09, 2010
Page updated: December 09, 2010
Page reviewed: December 09, 2010
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.