Volume 17, Number 1—January 2011
Foodborne Illness Acquired in the United States—Unspecified Agents
- Scallan E, Hoekstra RM, Angulo FJ, Tauxe RV, Widdowson M-A, Roy SL, Foodborne illness acquired in the United States—major pathogens. Emerg Infect Dis. 2011;17:7–15.
- Songer JG, Trinh HT, Killgore GE, Thompson AD, McDonald LC, Limbago BM. Clostridium difficile in retail meat products, USA, 2007. Emerg Infect Dis. 2009;15:819–21.
- Pereira KS, Schmidt FL, Guaraldo AM, Franco RM, Dias VL, Passos LA. Chagas’ disease as a foodborne illness. J Food Prot. 2009;72:441–6.
- Dekeyser P, Gossuin-Detrain M, Butzler JP, Sternon J. Acute enteritis due to related Vibrio: first positive stool cultures. J Infect Dis. 1972;125:390–2.
- Riley LW, Remis RS, Helgerson SD, McGee HB, Wells JG, Davis BR, Hemorrhagic colitis associated with a rare Escherichia coli serotype. N Engl J Med. 1983;308:681–5.
- Mintz E. A riddle wrapped in a mystery inside an enigma: Brainerd diarrhoea turns 20. Lancet. 2003;362:2037–8.
- Hall JA, Goulding JS, Bean NH, Tauxe RV, Hedberg CW. Epidemiologic profiling: evaluating foodborne outbreaks for which no pathogen was isolated by routine laboratory testing: United States, 1982–9. Epidemiol Infect. 2001;127:381–7.
- Tauxe RV. Emerging foodborne pathogens. Int J Food Microbiol. 2002;78:31–41.
- US Census Bureau. Population estimates [cited 2010 Mar 9]. http://www.census.gov/popest/states/NST-ann-est.html
- Jones TF, McMillian MB, Scallan E, Frenzen PD, Cronquist AB, Thomas S, A population-based estimate of the substantial burden of diarrhoeal disease in the United States; FoodNet, 1996–2003. Epidemiol Infect. 2007;135:293–301.
- Scallan E. Activities, achievements, and lessons learned during the first 10 years of the Foodborne Diseases Active Surveillance Network: 1996–2005. Clin Infect Dis. 2007;44:718–25.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Hospital Discharge Survey [cited 2010 Feb 2]. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/nhds.htm
- Dennison C, Pokras R. Design and operation of the National Hospital Discharge Survey: 1988 redesign. Vital Health Stat 1. 2000;39:1–42.
- Healthcare Cost and Utilization Project. Overview of the Nationwide Inpatient Sample (NIS) [cited 2010 Feb 8]. http://www.hcup-us.ahrq.gov/nisoverview.jsp
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Ambulatory health care data [cited 2010 Feb 8]. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/ahcd/about_ahcd.htm
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Mortality data, multiple cause-of-death public-use data files [cited 2010 Feb 8]. http://www.cdc.gov/nchs/products/elec_prods/subject/mortmcd.htm
- Heron M, Hoyert DL, Murphy SL, Xu J, Kochanek KD, Tejada-Vera B. Deaths: final data for 2006. Natl Vital Stat Rep. 2009;57:1–134.
- Vose D. Risk analysis. A quantitative guide. 2nd ed. Chichester (UK): John Wiley & Sons, Ltd; 2000.
- Mead PS, Slutsker L, Dietz V, McCaig LF, Bresee JS, Shapiro C, Food-related illness and death in the United States. Emerg Infect Dis. 1999;5:607–25.
- Badger GF, Curtiss C, Dingle JH, Hodges RG, Jordan WS Jr, McCorkle LP. A study of illness in a group of Cleveland families. XI. The occurrence of gastrointestinal symptoms. Am J Hyg. 1956;64:349–56.
- Monto AS, Koopman JS. The Tecumseh study. XI. Occurrence of acute enteric illness in the community. Am J Epidemiol. 1980;112:323–33.
- Pinner RW, Teutsch SM, Simonsen L, Klug LA, Graber JM, Clarke MJ, Trends in infectious diseases mortality in the United States. JAMA. 1996;275:189–93.
- Mounts AW, Holman RC, Clarke MJ, Bresee JS, Glass RI. Trends in hospitalizations associated with gastroenteritis among adults in the United States, 1979–1995. Epidemiol Infect. 1999;123:1–8.
- Gangarosa RE, Glass RI, Lew JF, Boring JR. Hospitalizations involving gastroenteritis in the United States, 1985: the special burden of the disease among the elderly. Am J Epidemiol. 1992;135:281–90.
- Cantwell LB, Henao OL, Hoekstra RM, Scallan E. The effect of different recall periods on estimates of acute gastroenteritis in the United States, FoodNet Population Survey 2006–2007. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2010;10:1225–8.
- Simonsen J, Teunis P, Van Pelt W, Van Duynhoven Y, Krogfelt KA, Sadkowska-Todys M, Usefulness of seroconversion rates for comparing infection pressures between countries. Epidemiol Infect. 2010;12:1–8.
- Adak GK, Long SM, O'Brien SJ. Trends in indigenous foodborne disease and deaths, England and Wales: 1992 to 2000. Gut. 2002;51:832–41.
- Hall G, Kirk MD, Becker N, Gregory JE, Unicomb L, Millard G, Estimating foodborne gastroenteritis, Australia. Emerg Infect Dis. 2005;11:1257–64.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Surveillance for foodborne disease outbreaks—United States, 2006. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2009;58:609–15.
- Karmali MA, Petric M, Lim C, Fleming PC, Arbus GS, Lior H. The association between idiopathic hemolytic uremic syndrome and infection by verotoxin-producing Escherichia coli. J Infect Dis. 1985;151:775–82.
1Current affiliation: Colorado School of Public Health, Aurora, Colorado, USA.