Volume 17, Number 4—April 2011
Secondary and Tertiary Transmission of Vaccinia Virus from US Military Service Member
|No.†||Transmission type||Age, y/sex||Exposure
||Underlying risk factors||VIG||Duration of lesions, wk|
|Date||Source||Type||Onset||Location of lesions|
|1||Secondary||26/M||Feb 27||Military vaccinee||Wrestling||Mar 1||Face, neck, chest||None||No||≈3|
|2||Secondary||24/M||Feb 27||Military vaccinee||Wrestling||≈Mar 1||Face, neck, chin, eye||None||No‡||≈3|
|3||Tertiary||25/M||Mar 5||Case-patient 1||Wrestling||Mar 7||Chest, trunk, arm||Mild eczema||No||≈7|
|4||Tertiary||29/F||After March||Case-patient 1||Household||Mar 9||Face, mandible, nostril||None||Yes||≈3|
*VIG, varicella immune globulin.
‡Use of VIG not indicated; treated with trifluridine ophthalmic solution (3).
- Casey C, Vellozzi C, Mootrey GT, Chapman LE, McCauley M, Roper MH, Surveillance guidelines for smallpox vaccine (vaccinia) adverse reactions. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2006;55(RR-1):1–16.
- Rotz LD, Dotson DA, Damon IK, Becher JA; Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices. Vaccinia (smallpox) vaccine: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP), 2001. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2001;50(RR-10):1–25.
- Vaccine Healthcare Centers Network. Contact transmission fact sheet [cited 2010 Nov 30]. http://www.vhcinfo.org/healthcareProfessionals.asp?page=smallpox_transoverview&title=Smallpox
- Cono J, Casey CG, Bell DM; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Smallpox vaccination and adverse reactions: guidance for clinicians. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2003;52(No.RR-4):1–28.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Medical management of smallpox (vaccinia) vaccine adverse reactions: vaccinia immune globulin and cidofovir [cited 2010 Nov 29]. http://emergency.cdc.gov/agent/smallpox/vaccination/mgmt-adv-reactions.asp
- Ropp SL, Jin Q, Knight JC, Massung RF, Esposito JJ. PCR strategy for identification and differentiation of small pox and other orthopoxviruses. J Clin Microbiol. 1995;33:2069–76.
- Wharton M, Strikas RA, Harpaz R, Rotz LD, Schwartz B, Casey CG, Recommendations for using smallpox vaccine in a pre-event vaccination program: supplemental recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP) and the Healthcare Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC). MMWR Recomm Rep. 2003;52:1–16.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. CDC interim guidance for revaccination of eligible persons who participated in the US civilian smallpox preparedness and response program. October 2008 [cited 2010 Nov 29]. http://emergency.cdc.gov/agent/smallpox/revaxmemo.asp?s_cid=EmergencyPreparedness1e
- Strikas RA, Neff LJ, Rotz L, Cono J, Knutson D, Henderson J, US Civilian Smallpox Preparedness and Response Program, 2003. Clin Infect Dis. 2008;46:S157–67.