Volume 18, Number 5—May 2012
Emergency Department Visits for Influenza A(H1N1)pdm09, Davidson County, Tennessee, USA
|Patient age, y||No. ARI or fever visits countywide†
||% ARI or fever visits to surveillance emergency departments for influenza A(H1N1)pdm09‡
||Estimated no. visits for influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 countywide|
*ARI, acute respiratory infection.
†Data from Tennessee Hospital Discharge Data System (9).
‡Data from Influenza Vaccine Effectiveness Study (Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN, USA).
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Update: novel influenza A (H1N1) virus infections—worldwide, May 6, 2009. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2009;58:453–8.
- Jain S, Kamimoto L, Bramley AM, Schmitz AM, Benoit SR, Sugerman DE, Hospitalized patients with 2009 H1N1 influenza in the United States, April–June 2000. N Engl J Med. 2009;361:1935–44.
- McDonnell WM, Nelson DS, Schunk JE. Should we fear “flu fear” itself? Effects of H1N1 influenza on ED use. Am J Emerg Med. 2012;30:275–82.
- Shapiro JS, Genes N, Kuperman G, Chason K, Richardson LD. Health information exchange, biosurveillance efforts, and emergency department crowding during the spring 2009 H1N1 outbreak in New York City. Ann Emerg Med. 2010;55:274–9.
- Institute of Medicine. Committee on the future of emergency care in the US health system, hospital-based emergency care: at the breaking point. Washington (DC): National Academy of Sciences; 2007.
- Moskop JC, Sklar DP, Geiderman JM, Schears RM, Bookman KJ. Emergency department crowding, part 1—concepts, causes and moral consequences. Ann Emerg Med. 2009;53:605–11.
- Talbot HK, Griffin MR, Chen Q, Zhu Y, Williams JV, Edwards KM. Effectiveness of seasonal vaccine in preventing confirmed influenza-associated hospitalizations in community dwelling older adults. J Infect Dis. 2011;203:500–8.
- World Health Organization. CDC protocol of realtime RTPCR for swine influenza A (H1N1). 2009 Apr 28 [cited 2011 Jan 22]. http://www.who.int/csr/resources/publications/swineflu/realtimeptpcr/en/index.html
- Talbot HK, Poehling KA, Williams JV, Zhu Y, Chen Q, McNabb P, Influenza in older adults: impact of vaccination of school children. Vaccine. 2009;27:1923–7.
- Annual estimates of the resident population by sex, and selected age groups for the United States: April 1, 2000 to July 1, 2009. Population estimates. National characteristics: vintage 2009 [cited 2011 Jan 22]. http://www.census.gov/popest/data/national/asrh/2009/index.html.
- Hook EB, Regal RR. Capture–recapture methods in epidemiology: methods and limitations. Epidemiol Rev. 1995;17:243–64.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. FluView: a weekly influenza surveillance report prepared by the Influenza Division [cited 2011 Dec 22]. http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/weeklyarchives2009-2010/09-10summary.htm
- Wittes JT. On the bias and estimated variance of Chapman’s two-sample capture–recapture population estimate. Biometrics. 1972;28:592–7.
- Gjini A, Stuart JM, George RC, Nichols T, Heyderman RS. Capture–recapture analysis and pneumococcal meningitis estimates in England. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004;10:87–93.
Page created: April 05, 2012
Page updated: April 05, 2012
Page reviewed: April 05, 2012
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.