Volume 20, Number 2—February 2014
Injectional Anthrax in Heroin Users, Europe, 2000–2012
- Health Protection Scotland. An outbreak of anthrax among drug users in Scotland, December 2009 to December 2010. A report on behalf of the national Anthrax Outbreak Control Team. 2011 [cited 2013 Aug 20]. http://www.documents.hps.scot.nhs.uk/giz/anthrax-outbreak/anthrax-outbreak-report-2011-12.pdf
- Price EP, Seymour ML, Sarovich DS, Latham J, Wolken SR, Mason J, The molecular epidemiologic investigation of an anthrax outbreak in European heroin users. Emerg Infect Dis. 2012;18:1307–13.
- Ringertz SH, Hoiby EA, Jensenius M, Maehlen J, Caugant DA, Myklebust A, Injectional anthrax in a heroin skin-popper. Lancet. 2000;356:1574–5.
- Van Ert MN, Easterday WR, Huynh LY, Okinaka RT, Hugh-Jones ME, Ravel J, Global genetic population structure of Bacillus anthracis. PLoS ONE. 2007;2:e461.
- Holzmann T, Frangoulidis D, Simon M, Noll P, Schmoldt S, Hanczaruk M, Fatal anthrax infection in a heroin user from southern Germany, June 2012. Euro Surveill. 2012;17:20204.
- Rückert C, Licht K, Kalinowski J, Espirito Santo C, Antwerpen M, Hanczaruk M, Draft genome sequence of Bacillus anthracis UR-1, isolated from a German heroin user. J Bacteriol. 2012;194:5997–8.
- Grunow R, Klee SR, Beyer W, George M, Grunow D, Barduhn A, Anthrax among heroin users in Europe possibly caused by same Bacillus anthracis strain since 2000. Euro Surveill. 2013;18:20204 .
- Antwerpen MH, Zimmermann P, Bewley K, Frangoulidis D, Meyer H. Real-time PCR system targeting a chromosomal marker specific for Bacillus anthracis. Mol Cell Probes. 2008;22:313–5.
- Ellerbrok H, Nattermann H, Ozel M, Beutin L, Appel B, Pauli G. Rapid and sensitive identification of pathogenic and apathogenic Bacillus anthracis by real-time PCR. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 2002;214:51–9.
- Price EP, Seymour ML, Sarovich DS, Latham J, Wolken SR, Mason J, Molecular epidemiologic investigation of an anthrax outbreak among heroin users, Europe. Emerg Infect Dis. 2012;18:1307–13.
Page created: January 16, 2014
Page updated: January 16, 2014
Page reviewed: January 16, 2014
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.