Volume 21, Number 11—November 2015
Achievements in and Challenges of Tuberculosis Control in South Korea
- World Bank. Incidence of tuberculosis (per 100,000 people). 2015 [cited 2015 Jul 5]. http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/SH.TBS.INCD/countries
- Choi EK. Study of epidemic of tuberculosis and responses in Korea during Japanese colonial period [dissertation, in Korean]. Seoul (South Korea): Seoul National University; 2011.
- Park YJ. The work of Sherwood Hall and the Haiju Tuberculosis Sanatorium in colonial Korea. Uisahak. 2013;22:681–712 .
- Hong YP, Kim SJ, Lew WJ, Lee EK, Han YC. The seventh nationwide tuberculosis prevalence survey in Korea, 1995. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 1998;2:27–36 .
- Korean National Tuberculosis Association. A history of tuberculosis in Korea [in Korean]. Seoul (South Korea): The Association; 1998.
- World Bank. GDP per capita (current US$). 2014 [cited 2014 Jun 30]. http://data.worldbank.org/indicator/NY.GDP.PCAP.CD
- Drolet GJ. World War I and tuberculosis. A statistical summary and review. Am J Public Health Nations Health. 1945;35:689–97.
- Public Health England. Tuberculosis mortality and mortality rate, England and Wales, 1913–2012. 2013 [cited 2014 Jul 15]. https://www.gov.uk/government/statistics/tuberculosis-tb-annual-notifications-1913-to-2012
- Drolet GJ, Lowell AM. A half century’s progress against tuberculosis in New York City, 1900 to 1950. New York: New York Tuberculosis and Health Association; 1952.
- Khan IM, Laaser U. Burden of tuberculosis in Afghanistan: update on a war-stricken country. Croat Med J. 2002;43:245–7 .
- Hong YP, Kim SJ, Kwon DW, Chang SC, Lew WJ, Han YC. The sixth nationwide tuberculosis prevalence survey in Korea, 1990. Tuber Lung Dis. 1993;74:323–31.
- Hong YP, Kim SJ, Lew WJ, Lee SH, Lee EK. Cohort analyses of the treatment of smear-positive pulmonary tuberculosis patients under programme conditions in Korea, 1983–1994. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 1998;2:365–71 .
- Ministry of Education. Statistical yearbook of education [in Korean]. 2013 [cited 2015 Apr 15]. http://kess.kedi.re.kr/publ/view?survSeq=2013&publSeq=2&menuSeq=0&itemCode=02
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. OECD family database. 2014 [cited 2015 Apr 15]. http://www.oecd.org/els/family/database.htm
- Statistics Korea. Population and housing census 2010 [in Korean]. 2011 [cited 2015 Apr 28]. http://kostat.go.kr
- Hong YP, Kim SJ, Lee EG, Lew WJ, Bai JY. Treatment of bacillary pulmonary tuberculosis at the chest clinics in the private sector in Korea, 1993. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 1999;3:695–702 .
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Annual report on the notified tuberculosis in Korea [in Korean]. Cheongju (South Korea): The Centers; 2015.
- Hong SJ, Park YS, An H, Kang SM, Cho EH, Shin SS. Factors leading to under-reporting of tuberculosis in the private sector in Korea. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2012;16:1221–7.
- Janssens JP, Rieder HL. An ecologic analysis of incidence of tuberculosis and per capita gross domestic product. Eur Respir J. 2008;32:1415–6.
- Vesosky B, Turner J. The influence of age on immunity to infection with Mycobacterium tuberculosis. Immunol Rev. 2005;205:229–43.
- Park YK, Park YS, Na KI, Cho EH, Shin S-S, Kim HJ. Increased tuberculosis burden due to demographic transition in Korea from 2001 to 2010. Tuberc Respir Dis (Seoul). 2013;74:104–10.
- Jeong YJ, Yoon S, Koo HK, Lim HJ, Lee JS, Lee SM, Positive tuberculin skin test or interferon-gamma release assay in patients with radiographic lesion suggesting old healed tuberculosis. J Korean Med Sci. 2012;27:761–6.
- Baghaei P, Marjani M, Javanmard P, Tabarsi P, Masjedi MR. Diabetes mellitus and tuberculosis facts and controversies. J Diabetes Metab Disord. 2013;12:58.
- Dooley KE, Chaisson RE. Tuberculosis and diabetes mellitus: convergence of two epidemics. Lancet Infect Dis. 2009;9:737–46.
- Kim DJ. The epidemiology of diabetes in Korea. Diabetes Metab J. 2011;35:303–8.
- Koo BK. Diabetes mellitus and tuberculosis. Diabetes Metab J. 2013;37:249–51.
- Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. Non-medical determinants of health: tobacco consumption. 2014 [cited 2014 July 2]. http://stats.oecd.org/
- den Boon S, van Lill SW, Borgdorff MW, Verver S, Bateman ED, Lombard CJ, Association between smoking and tuberculosis infection: a population survey in a high tuberculosis incidence area. Thorax. 2005;60:555–7.
- Jee SH, Golub JE, Jo J, Park IS, Ohrr H, Samet JM. Smoking and risk of tuberculosis incidence, mortality, and recurrence in South Korean men and women. Am J Epidemiol. 2009;170:1478–85.
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Korean guidelines for tuberculosis [in Korean]. Cheongju (South Korea): The Centers; 2011.
- Mitnick C, Bayona J, Palacios E, Shin S, Furin J, Alcantara F, Community-based therapy for multidrug-resistant tuberculosis in Lima, Peru. N Engl J Med. 2003;348:119–28 .
- World Health Organization. An expanded DOTS framework for effective tuberculosis control. 2002 [cited 2014 Jul 2]. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2002/WHO_CDS_TB_2002.297.pdf?ua=1
- Kim HJ, Bai G-H, Kang MK, Kim SJ, Lee JK, Cho S-I, A public–private collaboration model for treatment intervention to improve outcomes in patients with tuberculosis in the private sector. Tuberculosis and Respiratory Diseases. 2009;66:349–57.
- Jeon CY, Kang H, Kim M, Murray MB, Kim H, Cho EH, Clustering of Mycobacterium tuberculosis strains from foreign-born patients in Korea. J Med Microbiol. 2011;60:1835–40.
- Choi CM, June JH, Kang CI, Park JT, Oh SY, Lee JB, Tuberculosis among dislocated North Koreans entering Republic of Korea since 1999. J Korean Med Sci. 2007;22:963–7 .
- World Health Organization. Public–private mix for DOTS: towards scaling up. 2005 [cited 2014 Jul 7]. http://whqlibdoc.who.int/hq/2005/WHO_HTM_TB_2005.356.pdf
- Oh E-J. Treatment outcomes of tuberculosis patients through private–public mix collaboration (PPM) in private sector in Korea, 2011 [in Korean]. 2012 [cited 2014 Jul 15]. http://www.cdc.go.kr/CDC/contents/CdcKrContentLink.jsp?fid=31&cid=12798&ctype=6
- Uplekar M, Pathania V, Raviglione M. Private practitioners and public health: weak links in tuberculosis control. Lancet. 2001;358:912–6.
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. National Tuberculosis Program guideline [in Korean]. 2013 [cited 2014 Jul 15]. http://www.hira.or.kr/cms/notice/01/__icsFiles/afieldfile/2013/07/09/main5_1.pdf
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Tuberculosis outbreak investigations in institutions [in Korean]. Cheongju (South Korea): The Centers; 2014.
Page created: October 16, 2015
Page updated: October 16, 2015
Page reviewed: October 16, 2015
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.