Skip directly to site content Skip directly to page options Skip directly to A-Z link Skip directly to A-Z link Skip directly to A-Z link
Volume 21, Number 9—September 2015

Acute Respiratory Infections in Travelers Returning from MERS-CoV–Affected Areas

Matthew German1Comments to Author , Romy Olsha, Erik Kristjanson, Alex Marchand-Austin, Adriana Peci, Anne-Luise Winter, and Jonathan B. Gubbay
Author affiliations: Public Health Ontario, Toronto, Ontario, Canada

Main Article


Respiratory pathogens detected among 177 persons tested for MERS Co-V at Public Health Ontario Laboratories, Ontario, Canada, November 2012–June 2014*

Pathogen† Case count
No. (%)‡ Highest no. imported in 1 mo Time of highest no.
Influenza viruses
Influenza A (H3) virus 14 (7.9) 7 2013 Oct
Influenza A(H1N1)pdm09 virus 13 (7.3) 4 2014 May
Influenza B virus
14 (7.9)
2014 May
Other respiratory viruses
Rhinovirus 35 (19.8) 10 2013 Oct
Parainfluenza viruses 1–4 5 (2.8) 1 NA
Human metapneumovirus 4 (2.6) 2 2014 May
Respiratory syncytial virus (A and B) 4 (2.6) 1 NA
Enterovirus 1 (0.6) NA NA
Adenovirus 1 (0.6) NA NA
Human CoVs
Human CoV OC43 6 (3.4) 3 2014 Feb
Human CoV 229E/NL63 2 (1.1) 1 NA
Chlamydophila pneumoniae 1 (0.6) NA NA
Legionella spp. 1 (0.6) NA NA
Mycoplasma pneumoniae 0 NA NA

*CoV, coronavirus; MERS, Middle East respiratory virus; NA, not applicable.
†Among the 177 returned travelers, no respiratory pathogen was found for 88 (49.7%). Among the remaining 89 (50.3%) returned travelers, at least 1 respiratory pathogen was found; 12 (6.8%) of these persons had viral co-infections. Among the 12 co-infections were 8 rhinovirus co-infections (4 persons with influenza A and 1 each with influenza B, enterovirus, CoV OC43, parainfluenza); 1 influenza A–CoV OC43 co-infection; 1 influenza B–respiratory syncytial virus; 1 CoV 229E/NL63–adenovirus; and 1 CoV 229E/NL63–human metapneumovirus co-infection.
‡Comprises all reported infections, including viruses that were involved in co-infections.

Main Article

1Current affiliation: St. Michael’s Hospital, Toronto, Ontario, Canada.

Page created: August 14, 2015
Page updated: August 14, 2015
Page reviewed: August 14, 2015
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.