Volume 22, Number 10—October 2016
Accuracy of Diagnosis of Human Granulocytic Anaplasmosis in China
|Variable||China, no. (%) patients†||United States, no. (%) patients‡||p value§|
|Headache||38 (23.0)||36 (81.8)||<0.0001|
|Myalgias||44 (26.7)||33 (75.0)||<0.0001|
|Diarrhea||63 (38.2)||6 (13.6)||0.002|
|Leukopenia¶||144/145 (99.3)||24 (54.5)||<0.0001|
|<100,000 platelets/mm3||151 (91.5)||13 (29.5)||<0.0001|
- Zhang L, Liu Y, Ni D, Li Q, Yu Y, Yu XJ, Nosocomial transmission of human granulocytic anaplasmosis in China. JAMA. 2008;300:2263–70.
- Fang L-Q, Liu K, Li X-L, Liang S, Yang Y, Yao HW, Emerging tick-borne infections in mainland China: an increasing public health threat. Lancet Infect Dis. 2015;15:1467–79.
- Bakken JS, Dumler JS. Human granulocytic anaplasmosis. Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2015;29:341–55.
- Wormser GP, Aguero-Rosenfeld ME, Cox ME, Nowakowski J, Nadelman RB, Holmgren D, Differences and similarities between culture-confirmed human granulocytic anaplasmosis and early lyme disease. J Clin Microbiol. 2013;51:954–8.
- Krause PJ, Wormser GP. Nosocomial transmission of human granulocytic anaplasmosis? JAMA. 2008;300:2308–9.
- Johnson BJB, Pilgard MA, Russell TM. Assessment of new culture method for detection of Borrelia species from serum of lyme disease patients. J Clin Microbiol. 2014;52:721–4.
- Yu X-J, Liang M-F, Zhang S-Y, Liu Y, Li JD, Sun YL, Fever with thrombocytopenia associated with a novel bunyavirus in China. N Engl J Med. 2011;364:1523–32.
- Xu B, Liu L, Huang X, Ma H, Zhang Y, Du Y, Metagenomic analysis of fever, thrombocytopenia and leukopenia syndrome (FTLS) in Henan Province, China: discovery of a new bunyavirus. PLoS Pathog. 2011;7:e1002369.
- Liu Q, He B, Huang S-Y, Wei F, Zhu X-Q. Severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome, an emerging tick-borne zoonosis. Lancet Infect Dis. 2014;14:763–72.
- Liu S, Chai C, Wang C, Amer S, Lv H, He H, Systematic review of severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome: virology, epidemiology, and clinical characteristics. Rev Med Virol. 2014;24:90–102.
- Liu Y, Li Q, Hu W, Wu J, Wang Y, Mei L, Person-to-person transmission of severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome virus. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 2012;12:156–60.
- Bao C-J, Guo X-L, Qi X, Hu JL, Zhou MH, Varma JK, A family cluster of infections by a newly recognized bunyavirus in eastern China, 2007: further evidence of person-to-person transmission. Clin Infect Dis. 2011;53:1208–14.
- Kim WY, Choi W, Park S-W, Wang EB, Lee WJ, Jee Y, Nosocomial transmission of severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome in Korea. Clin Infect Dis. 2015;60:1681–3.
- Tang X, Wu W, Wang H, Du Y, Liu L, Kang K, Human-to-human transmission of severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome bunyavirus through contact with infectious blood. J Infect Dis. 2013;207:736–9.
- Gai Z, Liang M, Zhang Y, Zhang S, Jin C, Wang SW, Person-to-person transmission of severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome bunyavirus through blood contact. Clin Infect Dis. 2012;54:249–52.
- Chen H, Hu K, Zou J, Xiao J. A cluster of cases of human-to-human transmission caused by severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome bunyavirus. Int J Infect Dis. 2013;17:e206–8.
- Jiang XL, Zhang S, Jiang M, Bi ZQ, Liang MF, Ding SJ, A cluster of person-to-person transmission cases caused by SFTS virus in Penglai, China. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2015;21:274–9.
- Wormser GP. Human granulocytic anaplasmosis and Lyme disease. JAMA. 2016;316:98–9.
- Liu Y, Yu X-J. Human granulocytic anaplasmosis and Lyme disease–reply. JAMA. 2016;316:99.
- Zhang L, Wang G, Liu Q, Chen C, Li J, Long B, Molecular analysis of Anaplasma phagocytophilum isolated from patients with febrile diseases of unknown etiology in China. PLoS One. 2013;8:e57155.
- Jiao X-Y, Fan Z-C, Li Y-Z, Tang Y-T, Ke C-W. Clinical and laboratory features parameters of human granulocytic anaplasmosis (HGA) in patients admitted to hospital in Guangdong Province, China. Trop Doct. 2015;45:209–13.
- Li H, Zhou Y, Wang W, Guo D, Huang S, Jie S. The clinical characteristics and outcomes of patients with human granulocytic anaplasmosis in China. Int J Infect Dis. 2011;15:e859–66.
- Sun X-F, Zhao L, Wen H-L, Luo L-M, Yu X-J. Anaplasma species in China. Lancet Infect Dis. 2015;15:1263–4.
- Li H, Zheng Y-C, Ma L, Jia N, Jiang BG, Jiang RR, Human infection with a novel tick-borne Anaplasma species in China: a surveillance study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2015;15:663–70.
- Chapman AS, Bakken JS, Folk SM, Paddock CD, Bloch KC, Krusell A, ; Tickborne Rickettsial Diseases Working Group; CDC. Diagnosis and management of tickborne rickettsial diseases: Rocky Mountain spotted fever, ehrlichioses, and anaplasmosis—United States: a practical guide for physicians and other health-care and public health professionals. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2006;55(RR-4):1–27.
- Aguero-Rosenfeld ME, Donnarumma L, Zentmaier L, Jacob J, Frey M, Noto R, Seroprevalence of antibodies that react with Anaplasma phagocytophila, the agent of human granulocytic ehrlichiosis, in different populations in Westchester County, New York. J Clin Microbiol. 2002;40:2612–5.
- Xie Y-T, Lai D-H, Liu G-Y, Zhou J-L, Lun Z-R. Severe fever with thrombocytopenia syndrome in China. Lancet Infect Dis. 2015;15:145.
Page created: September 26, 2016
Page updated: September 26, 2016
Page reviewed: September 26, 2016
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.