Volume 22, Number 3—March 2016
Mycobacterium orygis–Associated Tuberculosis in Free-Ranging Rhinoceros, Nepal, 2015
- van Ingen J, Rahim Z, Mulder A, Boeree MJ, Simeone R, Brosch R, Characterization of Mycobacterium orygis as M. tuberculosis complex subspecies. Emerg Infect Dis. 2012;18:653–5 .
- Thapa J, Nakajima C, Maharjan B, Poudel A, Suzuki Y. Molecular characterization of Mycobacterium orygis isolates from wild animals of Nepal. Jpn J Vet Res. 2015;63:151–8 .
- Government of Nepal, Ministry of Forests and Soil Conservation, Department of National Parks and Wildlife Conservation. Protected species. Mammals [cited 2015 Oct 30]. http://www.dnpwc.gov.np/protected_species/species/mammals
- World Wildlife Fund. Greater one-horned rhino [cited 2015 Oct 30]. http://wwf.panda.org/what_we_do/endangered_species/rhinoceros/asian_rhinos/indian_rhinoceros/
- National Trust for Nature Conservation. National rhino count 2015: 645 individual rhinos in Nepal [cited 2015 Oct 30]. http://www.ntnc.org.np/news/national-rhino-count-2015-645-individual-rhinos-nepal
- Kamerbeek J, Schouls L, Kolk L, van Agterveld M, van Soolingen D, Kuijper S, Simultaneous detection and strain differentiation of Mycobacterium tuberculosis for diagnosis and epidemiology. J Clin Microbiol. 1997;35:907–14 .
- Supply P, Allix C, Lesjean S, Cardoso-Oelemann M, Rusch-Gerdes S, Willery E, Proposal for standardization of optimized mycobacterial interspersed repetitive unit–variable-number tandem repeat typing of Mycobacterium tuberculosis. J Clin Microbiol. 2006;44:4498–510.
- Gey van Pittius NC, Perrett KD, Michel AL, Keet DF, Hlokwe T, Streicher EM, Infection of African buffalo (Syncerus caffer) by oryx bacillus, a rare member of the antelope clade of the Mycobacterium tuberculosis complex. J Wildl Dis. 2012;48:849–57.
- Dawson KL, Bell A, Kawakami RP, Coley K, Yates G, Collins DM. Transmission of Mycobacterium orygis (M. tuberculosis complex species) from a tuberculosis patient to a dairy cow in New Zealand. J Clin Microbiol. 2012;50:3136–8.
- Subedi N, Jnawali SR, Dhakal M, Pradhan NMB, Lamichhane BR, Malla S, Population status, structure and distribution of the greater one-horned rhinoceros Rhinoceros unicornis in Nepal. Oryx. 2013;47:352–60.
1These first authors contributed equally to this article.
Page created: February 18, 2016
Page updated: February 18, 2016
Page reviewed: February 18, 2016
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.