Volume 22, Number 4—April 2016
Exportations of Symptomatic Cases of MERS-CoV Infection to Countries outside the Middle East
|Country of destination
||Observed no. symptomatic cases exported
||No. cases exported from source countries (95% CI); % likelihood for >1 exportation†
|Italy‡||0||0 (0–4); 1||0 (0–4); 18||NA||0 (0–4); 8|
|Malaysia§||0||0 (0–4); 0||0 (0–4); 33||0 (0–4); 1||0 (0–4); 2|
|Tunisia‡||0||0 (0–4); 0||0 (0–4); 2||0 (0–4); 0||0 (0–4); 0|
|United Kingdom§||0||0 (0–4); 0||0 (0–4); 35||0 (0–4); 3||0 (0–4); 25|
|United States§||2 from KSA||0 (0–4); 0||1 (0–5); 51||0 (0–4); 2||0 (0–4); 8|
*The incubation period considered was 5.5 days (95% CI 3.6–10.2 days) (8). MERS-CoV, Middle Eastern respiratory syndrome coronavirus; KSA, Kingdom of Saudi Arabia; UAE, United Arab Emirates; NA, not available.
†Information on Middle Eastern visitors to France, Netherlands, and Greece was not available. Number of Middle Eastern residents visiting Algeria and Austria was not available by country of residence.
‡Number of Middle Eastern visitors traveling to Italy and Tunisia corresponds to persons whose nationality is that of Middle Eastern source countries.
§Number of Middle Eastern visitors traveling to Malaysia, the United Kingdom, and the United States corresponds to residents in the Middle East.
- van Boheemen S, de Graaf M, Lauber C, Bestebroer TM, Raj VS, Zaki AM, Genomic characterization of a newly discovered coronavirus associated with acute respiratory distress syndrome in humans. MBio. 2012;3:e00473–12 .
- Zumla A, Hui DS, Perlman S. Middle East respiratory syndrome. Lancet. 2015;386:995–1007.
- Drosten C, Kellam P, Memish ZA. Evidence for camel-to-human transmission of MERS coronavirus. N Engl J Med. 2014;371:1359–60.
- Assiri A, McGeer A, Perl TM, Price CS, Al Rabeeah AA, Cummings DA, Hospital outbreak of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus. N Engl J Med. 2013;369:407–16.
- Memish ZA, Zumla AI, Al-Hakeem RF, Al-Rabeeah AA, Stephens GM. Family cluster of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus infections. N Engl J Med. 2013;368:2487–94 .
- Perlman S, McCray PB Jr. Person-to-person spread of the MERS coronavirus—an evolving picture. N Engl J Med. 2013;369:466–7.
- Bialek SR, Allen D, Alvarado-Ramy F, Arthur R, Balajee A, Bell D, First confirmed cases of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus (MERS-CoV) infection in the United States, updated information on the epidemiology of MERS-CoV infection, and guidance for the public, clinicians, and public health authorities—May 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014;63:431–6 .
- Cauchemez S, Fraser C, Van Kerkhove MD, Donnelly CA, Riley S, Rambaut A, Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus: quantification of the extent of the epidemic, surveillance biases, and transmissibility. Lancet Infect Dis. 2014;14:50–6.
- Fraser C, Donnelly CA, Cauchemez S, Hanage WP, Van Kerkhove MD, Hollingsworth TD, Pandemic potential of a strain of influenza A (H1N1): early findings. Science. 2009;324:1557–61 .
- Balcan D, Gonçalves B, Hu H, Ramasco JJ, Colizza V, Vespignani A. Modeling the spatial spread of infectious diseases: the Global Epidemic and Mobility computational model. J Comput Sci. 2010;1:132–45.
- Daniel WB, Hengartner NW, Rivera MK, Powell DR, McPherson TN. An epidemiological model of spatial coupling for trips longer than the infectious period. Math Biosci. 2013;242:1–8.
- Khan K, Sears J, Hu VW, Brownstein JS, Hay S, Kossowsky D, Potential for the international spread of Middle East respiratory syndrome in association with mass gatherings in Saudi Arabia. PLoS Curr. 2013;5:pii:ecurrents.outbreaks.a7b70897ac2fa4f79b59f90d24c860b8.
- Lessler J, Rodriguez-Barraquer I, Cummings DA, Garske T, Van Kerkhove M, Mills H, Estimating potential incidence of MERS-CoV associated with Hajj pilgrims to Saudi Arabia, 2014. PLoS Curr. 2014;6:pii:ecurrents.outbreaks.c5c9c9abd636164a9b6fd4dbda974369.
- Müller MA, Meyer B, Corman VM, Al-Masri M, Turkestani A, Ritz D, Presence of Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus antibodies in Saudi Arabia: a nationwide, cross-sectional, serological study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2015;15:559–64.
- Korea Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Middle East respiratory syndrome coronavirus outbreak in the Republic of Korea, 2015. Osong Public Health Res Perspect. 2015;6:269–78.