Volume 22, Number 4—April 2016
Molecular Typing and Epidemiology of Human Listeriosis Cases, Denmark, 2002–20121
|Year(s)||No. cases||Time range for the cluster, d||Genetic lineage (PCR serogroup)||ST/CC||Pulsotype|
|Clusters with pulsotypes other than the 3 highly frequent types|
|Clusters with the 3 highly frequent pulsotypes|
*A cluster was defined as >3 cases with identical pulsotypes within 14 weeks. ST, sequence type; CC, clonal complex; ND not determined.
†This type only seen this 1 time during the study period.
‡This type only seen in 2005.
§Confirmed outbreak with meals-on-wheels food delivery as source of infection, described previously (15).
¶Cluster investigated but no common source identified.
#May be part of the former cluster (marked with ¶) with this pulsotype 3–23.The cluster included 5 pregnancy-associated cases. Cluster investigation could not determine a common source of infection, but smoked salmon was suspected based upon interview data.
- Smith B, Kemp M, Ethelberg S, Schiellerup P, Bruun BG, Gerner-Smidt P, Listeria monocytogenes: maternal-foetal infections in Denmark 1994–2005. Scand J Infect Dis. 2009;41:21–5.
- Cartwright EJ, Jackson KA, Johnson SD, Graves LM, Silk BJ, Mahon BE. Listeriosis outbreaks and associated food vehicles, United States, 1998–2008. Emerg Infect Dis. 2013;19:1–9.
- European Food Safety Authority, European Center for Disease Prevention and Control. The European Union summary report on trends and sources of zoonoses, zoonotic agents and food-borne outbreaks in 2013. EFSA J. 2015;13:3991.
- European Food Safety Authority, European Center for Disease Prevention and Control. The European Union summary report on trends and sources of zoonoses, zoonotic agents and food-borne outbreaks in 2010. EFSA J. 2012;10:1–442.
- Félix B, Niskanen T, Vingadassalon N, Dao TT, Asséré A, Lombard B, Pulsed-field gel electrophoresis proficiency testing trials: toward European harmonization of the typing of food and clinical strains of Listeria monocytogenes. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2013;10:873–81.
- Graves LM, Swaminathan B. PulseNet standardized protocol for subtyping Listeria monocytogenes by macrorestriction and pulsed-field gel electrophoresis. Int J Food Microbiol. 2001;65:55–62.
- Orsi RH, den Bakker HC, Wiedmann M. Listeria monocytogenes lineages: Genomics, evolution, ecology, and phenotypic characteristics. Int J Med Microbiol. 2011;301:79–96.
- Statens Serum Institut. Listeriosis 2006–2013. EPI-NEWS. 2014 [cited 2015 May 26]. http://www.ssi.dk/English/News/EPI-NEWS/2014/No%2018%20-%202014.aspx
- Kvistholm Jensen A, Ethelberg S, Smith B, Moller Nielsen E, Larsson J, Molbak K, Substantial increase in listeriosis, Denmark 2009. Euro Surveill. 2010;15:1–4 .
- European Commission. Commission decision of 28 April 2008 amending Decision 2002/253/EC laying down case definitions for reporting communicable diseases to the Community network under Decision No 2119/98/EC of the European Parliament and of the Council [cited 2015 May 26]. http://eur-lex.europa.eu/legal-content/EN/TXT/PDF/?uri=CELEX:32008D0426&qid=1433247163665&from=EN
- Doumith M, Jacquet C, Gerner-Smidt P, Graves LM, Loncarevic S, Mathisen T, Multicenter validation of a multiplex PCR assay for differentiating the major Listeria monocytogenes serovars 1/2a, 1/2b, 1/2c, and 4b: toward an international standard. J Food Prot. 2005;68:2648–50 .
- Ragon M, Wirth T, Hollandt F, Lavenir R, Lecuit M, Le Monnier A, A new perspective on Listeria monocytogenes evolution. PLoS Pathog. 2008;4:e1000146.
- Cantinelli T, Chenal-Francisque V, Diancourt L, Frezal L, Leclercq A, Wirth T, “Epidemic clones” of Listeria monocytogenes are widespread and ancient clonal groups. J Clin Microbiol. 2013;51:3770–9.
- Goulet V, Jacquet C, Martin P, Vaillant V, Laurent E, de Valk H. Surveillance of human listeriosis in France, 2001–2003. Euro Surveill. 2006;11:79–81 .
- Smith B, Larsson JT, Lisby M, Müller L, Madsen SB, Engberg J, Outbreak of listeriosis caused by infected beef meat from a meals-on-wheels delivery in Denmark 2009. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2011;17:50–2.
- Haase JK, Didelot X, Lecuit M, Korkeala H, Achtman M, Leclercq A, The ubiquitous nature of Listeria monocytogenes clones: A large-scale multilocus sequence typing study. Environ Microbiol. 2014;16:405–16.
- Althaus D, Lehner A, Brisse S, Maury M, Tasara T, Stephan R. Characterization of Listeria monocytogenes strains isolated during 2011–2013 from human infections in Switzerland. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2014;11:753–8.
- Knabel SJ, Reimer A, Verghese B, Lok M, Ziegler J, Farber J, Sequence typing confirms that a predominant Listeria monocytogenes clone caused human listeriosis cases and outbreaks in Canada from 1988 to 2010. J Clin Microbiol. 2012;50:1748–51 .
- Gilmour MW, Graham M, Van Domselaar G, Tyler S, Kent H, Trout-Yakel KM, High-throughput genome sequencing of two Listeria monocytogenes clinical isolates during a large foodborne outbreak. BMC Genomics. 2010;11:120.
- Verghese B, Lok M, Wen J, Alessandria V, Chen Y, Kathariou S, comK prophage junction fragments as markers for Listeria monocytogenes genotypes unique to individual meat and poultry processing plants and a model for rapid niche-specific adaptation, biofilm formation, and persistence. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2011;77:3279–92.
- Nakari UM, Rantala L, Pihlajasaari A, Toikkanen S, Johansson T, Hellsten C, Investigation of increased listeriosis revealed two fishery production plants with persistent Listeria contamination in Finland in 2010. Epidemiol Infect. 2014;142:2261–9.
- Miettinen H, Wirtanen G. Ecology of Listeria spp. in a fish farm and molecular typing of Listeria monocytogenes from fish farming and processing companies. Int J Food Microbiol. 2006;112:138–46.
- Katzav M, Hyvönen P, Muje P, Rantala L, Von Wright A. Pulsed-field gel electrophoresis typing of Listeria monocytogenes isolated in two Finnish fish farms. J Food Prot. 2006;69:1443–7 .
- European Food Safety Authority. Analysis of the baseline survey on the prevalence of Listeria monocytogenes in certain ready-to-eat foods in the EU, 2010–2011 Part A: Listeria monocytogenes prevalence estimates. EFSA J. 2013;11:3241.
- Lambertz ST, Ivarsson S, Lopez-Valladares G, Sidstedt M, Lindqvist R. Subtyping of Listeria monocytogenes isolates recovered from retail ready-to-eat foods, processing plants and listeriosis patients in Sweden 2010. Int J Food Microbiol. 2013;166:186–92.
- Lunestad BT, Truong TTT, Lindstedt BA. A multiple-locus variable-number tandem repeat analysis (MLVA) of Listeria monocytogenes isolated from Norwegian salmon-processing factories and from listeriosis patients. Epidemiol Infect. 2013;141:2101–10.
- Barrett TJ, Gerner-Smidt P, Swaminathan B. Interpretation of pulsed-field gel electrophoresis patterns in foodborne disease investigations and surveillance. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2006;3:20–31.
- Sauders BD, Schukken Y, Kornstein L, Reddy V, Bannerman T, Salehi E, Molecular epidemiology and cluster analysis of human listeriosis cases in three U.S. states. J Food Prot. 2006;69:1680–9 .
- Orsi RH, Borowsky ML, Lauer P, Young SK, Nusbaum C, Galagan JE, Short-term genome evolution of Listeria monocytogenes in a non-controlled environment. BMC Genomics. 2008;9:539.
- Kathariou S, Graves L, Buchrieser C, Glaser P, Siletzky RM, Swaminathan B. Involvement of closely related strains of a new clonal group of Listeria monocytogenes in the 1998–99 and 2002 multistate outbreaks of foodborne listeriosis in the United States. Foodborne Pathog Dis. 2006;3:292–302.
- Rychli K, Müller A, Zaiser A, Schoder D, Allerberger F, Wagner M, Genome sequencing of Listeria monocytogenes “Quargel” listeriosis outbreak strains reveals two different strains with distinct in vitro virulence potential. PLoS ONE. 2014;9:e89964.
- McCollum JT, Cronquist AB, Silk BJ, Jackson KA, O’Connor KA, Cosgrove S, Multistate outbreak of listeriosis associated with cantaloupe. N Engl J Med. 2013;369:944–53.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Vital signs: listeria illnesses, deaths, and outbreaks—United States, 2009–2011. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013;62:448–52 .
- Gillespie IA, McLauchlin J, Little CL, Penman C, Mook P, Grant K, Disease presentation in relation to infection foci for non-pregnancy-associated human listeriosis in England and Wales, 2001 to 2007. J Clin Microbiol. 2009;47:3301–7.
- Goulet V, Hedberg C, Le Monnier A, de Valk H. Increasing incidence of listeriosis in France and other European countries. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14:734–40.
- Mammina C, Parisi A, Guaita A, Aleo A, Bonura C, Nastasi A, Enhanced surveillance of invasive listeriosis in the Lombardy region, Italy, in the years 2006–2010 reveals major clones and an increase in serotype 1/2a. BMC Infect Dis. 2013;13:152.
- Gerner-Smidt P, Ethelberg S, Schiellerup P, Christensen JJ, Engberg J, Fussing V, Invasive listeriosis in Denmark 1994–2003: a review of 299 cases with special emphasis on risk factors for mortality. Clin Microbiol Infect. 2005;11:618–24.
- Chenal-Francisque V, Lopez J, Cantinelli T, Caro V, Tran C, Leclercq A, Worldwide distribution of major clones of Listeria monocytogenes. Emerg Infect Dis. 2011;17:1110–2.
1Preliminary results from this study were presented at the 18th International Symposium on Problems of Listeriosis (ISOPOL XVIII), September 19–22, 2013, Goa, India.