Volume 22, Number 6—June 2016
Human Adenovirus Associated with Severe Respiratory Infection, Oregon, USA, 2013–2014
- Ison MG. Adenovirus infections in transplant recipients. Clin Infect Dis. 2006;43:331–9.
- Lee J, Choi EH, Lee HJ. Clinical severity of respiratory adenoviral infection by serotypes in Korean children over 17 consecutive years (1991–2007). J Clin Virol. 2010;49:115–20 .
- Kandel R, Srinivasan A, D’Agata EMC, Lu X, Erdman D, Jhung M. Outbreak of adenovirus type 4 infection in a long-term care facility for the elderly. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2010;31:755–7.
- Moura PO, Roberto AF, Hein N, Baldacci E, Vieira SE, Ejzenberg B, Molecular epidemiology of human adenovirus isolated from children hospitalized with acute respiratory infection in São Paulo, Brazil. J Med Virol. 2007;79:174–81.
- Gerber SI, Erdman DD, Pur SL, Diaz PS, Segreti J, Kajon AE, Outbreak of adenovirus genome type 7d2 infection in a pediatric chronic-care facility and tertiary-care hospital. Clin Infect Dis. 2001;32:694–700.
- Lessa FC, Gould PL, Pascoe N, Erdman DD, Lu X, Bunning ML, Health care transmission of a newly emergent adenovirus serotype in health care personnel at a military hospital in Texas, 2007. J Infect Dis. 2009;200:1759–65.
- Lewis PF, Schmidt MA, Lu X, Erdman DD, Campbell M, Thomas A, A community-based outbreak of severe respiratory illness caused by human adenovirus serotype 14. J Infect Dis. 2009;199:1427–34.
- Calder JA, Erdman DD, Ackelsberg J, Cato SW, Deutsch VJ, Lechich AJ, Adenovirus type 7 genomic-type variant, New York City, 1999. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004;10:149–52.
- Heim A, Ebnet C, Harste G, Pring-Åkerblom P. Rapid and quantitative detection of human adenovirus DNA by real-time PCR. J Med Virol. 2003;70:228–39.
- Lion T. Adenovirus infections in immunocompetent and immunocompromised patients. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2014;27:441–62.
- Metzgar D, Osuna M, Kajon AE, Hawksworth AW, Irvine M, Russell KL. Abrupt emergence of diverse species B adenoviruses at US military recruit training centers. J Infect Dis. 2007;196:1465–73.
- Lebeck MG, McCarthy TA, Capuano AW, Schnurr DP, Landry ML, Setterquist SF, Emergent US adenovirus 3 strains associated with an epidemic and serious disease. J Clin Virol. 2009;46:331–6.
- Abbas KZ, Lombos E, Duvvuri VR, Olsha R, Higgins RR, Gubbay JB. Temporal changes in respiratory adenovirus serotypes circulating in the greater Toronto area, Ontario, during December 2008 to April 2010. Virol J. 2013;10:15.
- Ng OT, Thoon KC, Chua HY, Tan NW, Chong CY, Tee NW, Severe pediatric adenovirus 7 disease in Singapore linked to recent outbreaks across Asia. Emerg Infect Dis. 2015;21:1192–6.
- Zhao S, Wan C, Ke C, Seto J, Dehghan S, Zou L, Re-emergent human adenovirus genome type 7d caused an acute respiratory disease outbreak in Southern China after a twenty-one year absence. Sci Rep. 2014;4:7365.
- Tsou TP, Tan BF, Chang HY, Chen WC, Huang YP, Lai CY, Community outbreak of adenovirus, Taiwan, 2011. Emerg Infect Dis. 2012;18:1825–32.
- Gray GC, McCarthy T, Lebeck MG, Schnurr DP, Russell KL, Kajon AE, Genotype prevalence and risk factors for severe clinical adenovirus infection, United States 2004–2006. Clin Infect Dis. 2007;45:1120–31.
- Selvaraju SB, Kovac M, Dickson LM, Kajon AE, Selvarangan R. Molecular epidemiology and clinical presentation of human adenovirus infections in Kansas City children. J Clin Virol. 2011;51:126–31.
- Lu X, Trujillo-Lopez E, Lott L, Erdman DD. Quantitative real-time PCR assay panel for detection and type-specific identification of epidemic respiratory human adenoviruses. J Clin Microbiol. 2013;51:1089–93.
- Lu X, Erdman DD. Molecular typing of human adenoviruses by PCR and sequencing of a partial region of the hexon gene. Arch Virol. 2006;151:1587–602.
- Vincze T, Posfai J, Roberts RJ. NEBcutter: a program to cleave DNA with restriction enzymes. Nucleic Acids Res. 2003;31:3688–91.
- Li QG, Zheng QJ, Liu YH, Wadell G. Molecular epidemiology of adenovirus types 3 and 7 isolated from children with pneumonia in Beijing. J Med Virol. 1996;49:170–7 and .
- Hall TA. BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acids Symp Ser. 1999;41:95–8 [cited 2016 Mar 18]. http://www.researchgate.net/publication/200038090_BioEdit_A_user-friendly_biological_sequence_alignment_program_for_Windows_9598NT
- Tamura K, Stecher G, Peterson D, Filipski A, Kumar S. MEGA6: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis version 6.0. Mol Biol Evol. 2013;30:2725–9.
- Hong JY, Lee HJ, Piedra PA, Choi EH, Park KH, Koh YY, Lower respiratory tract infections due to adenovirus in hospitalized Korean children: epidemiology, clinical features, and prognosis. Clin Infect Dis. 2001;32:1423–9.
- Ryan MAK, Gray GC, Smith B, McKeehan JA, Hawksworth AW, Malasig MD. Large epidemic of respiratory illness due to adenovirus types 7 and 3 in healthy young adults. Clin Infect Dis. 2002;34:577–82.
- Yu P, Ma C, Nawaz M, Han L, Zhang J, Du Q, Outbreak of acute respiratory disease caused by human adenovirus type 7 in a military training camp in Shaanxi, China. Microbiol Immunol. 2013;57:553–60.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Acute respiratory disease associated with adenovirus serotype 14—four states, 2006–2007. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2007;56:1181–4 .
- Gu L, Liu Z, Li X, Qu J, Guan W, Liu Y, Severe community-acquired pneumonia caused by adenovirus type 11 in immunocompetent adults in Beijing. J Clin Virol. 2012;54:295–301.
- Carballal G, Videla C, Misirlian A, Requeijo PV, Aguilar MC. Adenovirus type 7 associated with severe and fatal acute lower respiratory infections in Argentine children. BMC Pediatr. 2002;2:6.
- Cui X, Wen L, Wu Z, Liu N, Yang C, Liu W, Human adenovirus type 7 infection associated with severe and fatal acute lower respiratory illness and nosocomial transmission. J Clin Microbiol. 2015;53:746–9.
- Mitchell LS, Taylor B, Reimels W, Barrett FF, Devincenzo JP. Adenovirus 7a: a community-acquired outbreak in a children’s hospital. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2000;19:996–1000.
- Kajon AE, Ison MG. Severe infections with adenovirus 7d in 2 adults in family, Illinois, USA, 2014. Emerg Infect Dis. 2016;22:730–3.
- Top FH Jr, Dudding BA, Russell PK, Buescher EL. Control of respiratory disease in recruits with types 4 and 7 adenovirus vaccines. Am J Epidemiol. 1971;94:142–6 .
- Radin JM, Hawksworth AW, Blair PJ, Faix DJ, Raman R, Russell KL, Dramatic decline of respiratory illness among US military recruits after the renewed use of adenovirus vaccines. Clin Infect Dis. 2014;59:962–8.
- Gray GC. Adenovirus vaccines. In: Plotkin SA, Orenstein WA, Offit PA, editors. Vaccines. 6th ed. London: WB Saunders; 2013. p. 113–126.
- Garnett CT, Erdman D, Xu W, Gooding LR. Prevalence and quantitation of species C adenovirus DNA in human mucosal lymphocytes. J Virol. 2002;76:10608–16.
- Alkhalaf MA, Guiver M, Cooper RJ. Prevalence and quantitation of adenovirus DNA from human tonsil and adenoid tissues. J Med Virol. 2013;85:1947–54.
- Neumann R, Genersch E, Eggers HJ. Detection of adenovirus nucleic acid sequences in human tonsils in the absence of infectious virus. Virus Res. 1987;7:93–7.
Page created: May 16, 2016
Page updated: May 16, 2016
Page reviewed: May 16, 2016
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.