Volume 22, Number 8—August 2016
Artemisinin-Resistant Plasmodium falciparum K13 Mutant Alleles, Thailand–Myanmar Border
- Takala-Harrison S, Jacob CG, Arze C, Cummings MP, Silva JC, Dondorp AM, Independent emergence of artemisinin resistance mutations among Plasmodium falciparum in Southeast Asia. J Infect Dis. 2015;211:670–9.
- Fairhurst RM. Understanding artemisinin-resistant malaria: what a difference a year makes. Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2015;28:417–25.
- World Health Organization. Status report on artemisinin and ACT resistance—September 2015 [cited 2015 Dec 12]. http://www.who.int/malaria/publications/atoz/status-rep-artemisinin-resistance-sept2015.pdf
- Phyo AP, Nkhoma S, Stepniewska K, Ashley EA, Nair S, McGready R, Emergence of artemisinin-resistant malaria on the western border of Thailand: a longitudinal study. Lancet. 2012;379:1960–6.
- Ashley EA, Dhorda M, Fairhurst RM, Amaratunga C, Lim P, Suon S, Spread of artemisinin resistance in Plasmodium falciparum malaria. N Engl J Med. 2014;371:411–23.
- White LJ, Flegg JA, Phyo AP, Wiladpai-ngern JH, Bethell D, Plowe C, Defining the in vivo phenotype of artemisinin-resistant falciparum malaria: a modelling approach. PLoS Med. 2015;12:••• .
- Witkowski B, Amaratunga C, Khim N, Sreng S, Chim P, Kim S, Novel phenotypic assays for the detection of artemisinin-resistant Plasmodium falciparum malaria in Cambodia: in-vitro and ex-vivo drug-response studies. Lancet Infect Dis. 2013;13:1043–9.
- Ariey F, Witkowski B, Amaratunga C, Beghain J, Langlois AC, Khim N, A molecular marker of artemisinin-resistant Plasmodium falciparum malaria. Nature. 2013;505:50–5.
- Straimer J, Gnadig NF, Witkowski B, Amaratunga C, Duru V, Ramadani AP, Drug resistance. K13-propeller mutations confer artemisinin resistance in Plasmodium falciparum clinical isolates. Science. 2015;347:428–31.
- Wang Z, Wang Y, Cabrera M, Zhang Y, Gupta B, Wu Y, Artemisinin resistance at the China-Myanmar border and association with mutations in the K13 propeller gene. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2015;•••:6952–9.
1These authors contributed equally to this article.
Page created: June 24, 2016
Page updated: July 15, 2016
Page reviewed: July 15, 2016
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.