Volume 22, Number 8—August 2016
Increase in Eyeworm Infections in Eastern Europe
|Country||Host||No. infected hosts||Reference|
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||Fox||51||(5)|
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||Dog||4||(5)|
|Bosnia and Herzegovina||Cat||1||(5)|
- Hotez PJ, Gurwith M. Europe’s neglected infections of poverty. Int J Infect Dis. 2011;15:e611–9.
- Máca J, Otranto D. Drosophilidae feeding on animals and the inherent mystery of their parasitism. Parasit Vectors. 2014;7:516.
- Otranto D, Cantacessi C, Dantas-Torres F, Brianti E, Pfeffer M, Genchi C, The role of wild canids and felids in spreading parasites to dogs and cats in Europe. Part II: helminths and arthropods. Vet Parasitol. 2015;213:24–37.
- Gajić B, Bogunović D, Stevanović J, Kulišić Z, Simeunović P, Stanimirović Z. Canine and feline thelaziosis caused by Thelazia callipaeda in Serbia. Acta Vet (Beogr). 2014;64:447–55.
- Hodžić A, Latrofa MS, Annoscia G, Alić A, Beck R, Lia RP, The spread of zoonotic Thelazia callipaeda in the Balkan area. Parasit Vectors. 2014;7:352.
- Mihalca AD, D’Amico G, Scurtu I, Chirilă R, Matei IA, Ionică AM. Further spreading of canine oriental eyeworm in Europe: first report of Thelazia callipaeda in Romania. Parasit Vectors. 2015;8:48.
- Tasić-Otašević S, Gabrielli S, Trenkić-Božinović M, Petrović A, Gajić B, Colella V, Eyeworm infections in dogs and in a human patient in Serbia: a One Health approach is needed. Comp Immunol Microbiol Infect Dis. 2016;45:20–2.
- Paradžik MT, Samardžić K, Živičnjak T, Martinković F, Janjetović Ž, Miletić-Medved M. Thelazia callipaeda: first human case of thelaziosis in Croatia. Wien Klin Wochenschr. 2016;128:221–3.
- Otranto D, Lia RP, Traversa D, Giannetto S. Thelazia callipaeda (Spirurida, Thelaziidae) of carnivores and humans: morphological study by light and scanning electron microscopy. Parassitologia. 2003;45:125–33.
- Otranto D, Testini G, Deluca F, Hu M, Shamsi S, Gasser RB. Analysis of genetic variability within Thelazia callipaeda (Nematoda: Thelazioidea) from Europe and Asia by sequencing and mutation scanning of mitochondrial cytochrome c oxidase subunit 1. Mol Cell Probes. 2005;19:306–13.
Page created: July 15, 2016
Page updated: July 15, 2016
Page reviewed: July 15, 2016
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.