Volume 23, Supplement—December 2017
Global Health Security Supplement
Centers for Disease Control and Prevention Public Health Response to Humanitarian Emergencies, 2007–2016
|Disaster||A serious disruption of the functioning of a community or a society involving widespread human, material, economic, or environmental losses and impacts that exceeds the ability of the affected community or society to cope using its own resources|
|Natural disaster||A disaster brought about by natural hazards|
|Human-made disaster||A disaster brought about by human activities or events (4)|
|Humanitarian emergency||A disaster resulting in the need for international support (humanitarian assistance) to meet the basic needs of the affected population (4)|
|Complex emergency||A humanitarian emergency associated with fragile states or areas of conflict, in which a total or considerable breakdown of authority has occurred (4)|
|Global health security||A state of collective protection of health through ensuring all countries can effectively prevent, detect, and respond to public health emergencies (5)|
- United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Plan and budget 2016. 2016 [cited 2016 Oct 21]. https://docs.unocha.org/sites/dms/Documents/OCHAin2016.pdf
- UNHCR, the United Nations Refugee Agency. Glocal trends: forced displacement in 2015. 2016 [cited 2016 Oct 21]. http://www.unhcr.org/en-us/statistics/unhcrstats/576408cd7/unhcr-global-trends-2015.html
- Brennan RJ, Nandy R. Complex humanitarian emergencies: a major global health challenge. Emerg Med (Fremantle). 2001;13:147–56.
- Townes D, Anderson M, Gerber M, editors. Health in humanitarian emergencies: principles and practice for public health and healthcare practitioners. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press; 2017. In press.
- Heymann DL, Chen L, Takemi K, Fidler DP, Tappero JW, Thomas MJ, et al. Global health security: the wider lessons from the west African Ebola virus disease epidemic. Lancet. 2015;385:1884–901.
- Goma Epidemiology Group. Public health impact of Rwandan refugee crisis: what happened in Goma, Zaire, in July, 1994? Goma Epidemiology Group. Lancet. 1995;345:339–44.
- Toole MJ, Waldman RJ. Refugees and displaced persons. War, hunger, and public health. JAMA. 1993;270:600–5.
- Salama P, Spiegel P, Talley L, Waldman R. Lessons learned from complex emergencies over past decade. Lancet. 2004;364:1801–13.
- Spiegel PB, Checchi F, Colombo S, Paik E. Health-care needs of people affected by conflict: future trends and changing frameworks. Lancet. 2010;375:341–5.
- Toole MJ, Waldman RJ. The public health aspects of complex emergencies and refugee situations. Annu Rev Public Health. 1997;18:283–312.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). CDC’s 60th anniversary: director’s perspective—David J. Sencer, M.D., M.P.H., 1966-1977. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2006;55:745–9.
- Sommer A, Mosley WH. East Bengal cyclone of November, 1970. Epidemiological approach to disaster assessment. Lancet. 1972;1:1029–36.
- Allegra DT, Nieburg P, Grabe M, editors. Emergency refugee health care—a chronicle of the Khmer refugee-assistance operation, 1979–1980. Atlanta: Centers for Disease Control; 1983.
- Centers for Disease Control. Famine-affected, refugee, and displaced populations: recommendations for public health issues. MMWR Recomm Rep. 1992;41(RR-13):1–76.
- Toole MJ, Waldman RJ. Prevention of excess mortality in refugee and displaced populations in developing countries. JAMA. 1990;263:3296–302.
- Boss LP, Toole MJ, Yip R. Assessments of mortality, morbidity, and nutritional status in Somalia during the 1991-1992 famine. Recommendations for standardization of methods. JAMA. 1994;272:371–6.
- Toole MJ, Steketee RW, Waldman RJ, Nieburg P. Measles prevention and control in emergency settings. Bull World Health Organ. 1989;67:381–8.
- Noji EK, Toole MJ. The historical development of public health responses to disaster. Disasters. 1997;21:366–76.
- Spiegel PB, Salama P. War and mortality in Kosovo, 1998-99: an epidemiological testimony. Lancet. 2000;355:2204–9.
- Lopes Cardozo B, Vergara A, Agani F, Gotway CA. Mental health, social functioning, and attitudes of Kosovar Albanians following the war in Kosovo. JAMA. 2000;284:569–77.
- Lopes Cardozo B, Talley L, Burton A, Crawford C. Karenni refugees living in Thai-Burmese border camps: traumatic experiences, mental health outcomes, and social functioning. Soc Sci Med. 2004;58:2637–44.
- Cardozo BL, Bilukha OO, Crawford CA, Shaikh I, Wolfe MI, Gerber ML, et al. Mental health, social functioning, and disability in postwar Afghanistan. JAMA. 2004;292:575–84.
- Salama P, Spiegel P, Van Dyke M, Phelps L, Wilkinson C. Mental health and nutritional status among the adult Serbian minority in Kosovo. JAMA. 2000;284:578–84.
- Ager A, Pasha E, Yu G, Duke T, Eriksson C, Cardozo BL. Stress, mental health, and burnout in national humanitarian aid workers in Gulu, northern Uganda. J Trauma Stress. 2012;25:713–20.
- Eriksson CB, Lopes Cardozo B, Ghitis F, Sabin M, Gotway Crawford C, Zhu J, et al. Factors associated with adverse mental health outcomes in locally recruited aid workers assisting Iraqi refugees in Jordan. J Aggress Maltreat Trauma. 2013;22:660–80.
- Lopes Cardozo B, Gotway Crawford C, Eriksson C, Zhu J, Sabin M, Ager A, et al. Psychological distress, depression, anxiety, and burnout among international humanitarian aid workers: a longitudinal study. PLoS One. 2012;7:e44948.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Launching a national surveillance system after an earthquake—Haiti, 2010. [Erratum in: MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2010;59:993.]. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2010;59:933–8.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Rapid establishment of an internally displaced persons disease surveillance system after an earthquake --- Haiti, 2010. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2010;59:939–45.
- The Sphere Project. Sphere handbook: humanitarian charter and minimum standards in humanitarian response. Oxford: The Project; 2011.
- Tappero JW, Tauxe RV. Lessons learned during public health response to cholera epidemic in Haiti and the Dominican Republic. Emerg Infect Dis. 2011;17:2087–93.
- Gelting R, Bliss K, Patrick M, Lockhart G, Handzel T. Water, sanitation and hygiene in Haiti: past, present, and future. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2013;89:665–70.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Notes from the field: malnutrition and mortality—southern Somalia, July 2011. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2011;60:1026–7.
- Mahamud A, Burton A, Hassan M, Ahmed JA, Wagacha JB, Spiegel P, et al. Risk factors for measles mortality among hospitalized Somali refugees displaced by famine, Kenya, 2011. Clin Infect Dis. 2013;57:e160–6.
- Navarro-Colorado C, Mahamud A, Burton A, Haskew C, Maina GK, Wagacha JB, et al. Measles outbreak response among adolescent and adult Somali refugees displaced by famine in Kenya and Ethiopia, 2011. J Infect Dis. 2014;210:1863–70.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Notes from the field: mortality among refugees fleeing Somalia—Dadaab refugee camps, Kenya, July-August 2011. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2011;60:1133.
- Shahpar C, Talley L. Impact evaluation of BSFP during a nutrition emergency in Kenya. Field Exch. 2014;47:68.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Notes from the field: outbreak of poliomyelitis—Somalia and Kenya, May 2013. [Erratum in MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013;62:508.]]. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2013;62:484.
- United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs. Syria crisis bi-weekly situation report no. 15 (as of 17 October 2016). 2016 Oct 23 [cited 2016 Oct 30]. https://reliefweb.int/report/syrian-arab-republic/syria-crisis-bi-weekly-situation-report-no15-17-october-2016-enar
- Bilukha OO, Jayasekaran D, Burton A, Faender G, King’ori J, Amiri M, et al.; Division of Global Health Protection, Center for Global Health, CDC; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Nutritional status of women and child refugees from Syria-Jordan, April-May 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014;63:638–9.
- Krause S, Williams H, Onyango MA, Sami S, Doedens W, Giga N, et al. Reproductive health services for Syrian refugees in Zaatri Camp and Irbid City, Hashemite Kingdom of Jordan: an evaluation of the Minimum Initial Services Package. Confl Health. 2015;9(Suppl 1 Taking Stock of Reproductive Health in Humanitarian):S4.
- CMAM Report : a comprehensive monitoring and reporting package for Community-based Management of Acute Malnutrition. London: Save the Children; 2011 [cited 2017 Feb 15]. http://www.cmamreport.com/