Volume 23, Supplement—December 2017
Global Health Security Supplement
Joint External Evaluation—Development and Scale-Up of Global Multisectoral Health Capacity Evaluation Process
|Element and technical areas
|1. National legislation, policy, and financing|
|2. IHR 2005 coordination, communication, and advocacy|
|3. Antimicrobial resistance in zoonotic disease|
|4. Food safety|
|5. Biosafety and biosecurity|
|8. National laboratory system|
|9. Real-time surveillance|
|11. Workforce development
|13. Emergency Operations Centers|
|14. Linking public health and security authorities|
|15. Medical countermeasures and personnel deployment|
|16. Risk communication
|17. Points of entry|
|18. Chemical events|
|19. Radiation emergencies|
*The JEE tool incorporates all elements of the IHR 2005 (2) and the Global Health Security Agenda (https://www.ghsagenda.org/) assessment tool to evaluate a country’s capacity to prevent, detect, and respond to public health risks across 19 technical areas. JEE, Joint External Evaluation; IHR 2005, International Health Regulations 2005.
- Peiris JS, Yuen KY, Osterhaus AD, Stöhr K. The severe acute respiratory syndrome. N Engl J Med. 2003;349:2431–41.
- World Health Organization. International Health Regulations (2005). 3rd ed. [cited 2017 Oct 6]. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/246107/1/9789241580496-eng.pdf
- Rodier G, Greenspan AL, Hughes JM, Heymann DL. Global public health security. Emerg Infect Dis. 2007;13:1447–52.
- Gostin LO, Katz R. The International Health Regulations: the governing framework for global health security. Milbank Q. 2016;94:264–313.
- World Health Organization. Implementation of the International Health Regulations (2005). Report of the Review Committee on Second Extensions for Establishing National Public Health Capacities and on IHR Implementation [cited 2017 Oct 6]. http://apps.who.int/gb/ebwha/pdf_files/WHA68/A68_22Add1-en.pdf
- World Health Organization. Development, monitoring and evaluation of functional core capacity for implementing the International Health Regulations (2005): concept note [cited 2017 Oct 6]. http://www.who.int/ihr/publications/concept_note_201507/en/
- Frieden TR, Tappero JW, Dowell SF, Hien NT, Guillaume FD, Aceng JR. Safer countries through global health security. Lancet. 2014;383:764–6.
- World Health Organization, Regional Committee for the Eastern Mediterranean. Global health security—challenges and opportunities with special emphasis on the International Health Regulations (2005) [cited 2017 Oct 6]. http://applications.emro.who.int/docs/RC61_Resolutions_2014_R2_15554_EN.pdf?ua=1
- Vong S, Samuel R, Gould P, El Sakka H, Rana BJ, Pinyowiwat V, et al. Assessment of Ebola virus disease preparedness in the WHO South-East Asia Region. Bull World Health Organ. 2016;94:913–24.
- World Health Organization. Joint External Evaluation tool: International Health Regulations (2005) [cited 2017 Oct 6]. http://www.who.int/iris/handle/10665/204368
- International Working Group on Financing Preparedness. From panic and neglect to investing in health security: financing pandemic preparedness at a national level [cited 2017 Oct 6]. http://documents.worldbank.org/curated/en/979591495652724770/text/115271-REVISED-IWG-Report-Conference-Edition-5-25-2017-1-1-optimized-low.txt
- World Health Organization. Strategic Partnership Portal. April 2017 [cited 2017 Oct 6]. https://extranet.who.int/spp/about-strategic-partnership-portal
- World Health Organization, Regional Committee for the Eastern Mediterranean. Assessment and monitoring of the implementation of the International Health Regulations (2005) EM/RC62/8, September 2015 [cited 2017 Oct 6]. http://applications.emro.who.int/docs/RC_technical_papers_2016_inf_doc_4_19016_EN.pdf
- World Health Organization. International Health Regulations (2005). IHR core capacity monitoring framework: checklist and indicators for monitoring progress in the development of IHR core capacities in states parties. April 2013 [cited 2017 Oct 6]. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/10665/84933/1/WHO_HSE_GCR_2013.2_eng.pdf
- World Health Organization. Strategic Partnership Portal. IHR monitoring and evaluation framework [cited 2017 Oct 6]. https://extranet.who.int/spp/ihrmef
1Additional members who contributed data are listed at the end of this article.