Volume 24, Number 7—July 2018
Integrated Serologic Surveillance of Population Immunity and Disease Transmission
- Dowell SF, Blazes D, Desmond-Hellmann S. Four steps to precision public health. Nature. 2016;540:189–91.
- World Health Organization. Global vaccine action plan 2011-2020. Geneva: The Organization; 2013 [cited 2017 Nov 22]. http://www.who.int/immunization/global_vaccine_action_plan/GVAP_doc_2011_2020/en/
- World Health Organization. Global technical strategy for malaria 2016–2030. Geneva: The Organization; 2015 Nov 4 [cited 2017 Nov 22]. https://market.android.com/details?id=book-LV40DgAAQBAJ
- World Health Organization. Global health sector strategy on HIV 2016–2021. Report no. WHO/HIV/2016.05. Geneva: The Organization; 2016 [cited 2017 Nov 22]. http://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/246178/WHO-HIV-2016.05-eng.pdf
- Cutts FT, Izurieta HS, Rhoda DA. Measuring coverage in MNCH: design, implementation, and interpretation challenges associated with tracking vaccination coverage using household surveys. PLoS Med. 2013;10:e1001404.
- MacNeil A, Lee C-W, Dietz V. Issues and considerations in the use of serologic biomarkers for classifying vaccination history in household surveys. Vaccine. 2014;32:4893–900.
- Cutts FT, Hanson M. Seroepidemiology: an underused tool for designing and monitoring vaccination programmes in low- and middle-income countries. Trop Med Int Health. 2016;21:1086–98.
- Drakeley C, Cook J. Chapter 5. Potential contribution of sero-epidemiological analysis for monitoring malaria control and elimination: historical and current perspectives. Adv Parasitol. 2009;69:299–352.
- Simonsen J, Strid MA, Mølbak K, Krogfelt KA, Linneberg A, Teunis P. Sero-epidemiology as a tool to study the incidence of Salmonella infections in humans. Epidemiol Infect. 2008;136:895–902.
- Teunis PFM, Falkenhorst G, Ang CW, Strid MA, De Valk H, Sadkowska-Todys M, et al. Campylobacter seroconversion rates in selected countries in the European Union. Epidemiol Infect. 2013;141:2051–7.
- Exum NG, Pisanic N, Granger DA, Schwab KJ, Detrick B, Kosek M, et al. Use of pathogen-specific antibody biomarkers to estimate waterborne infections in population-based settings. Curr Environ Health Rep. 2016;3:322–34.
- Moss DM, Priest JW, Hamlin K, Derado G, Herbein J, Petri WA Jr, et al. Longitudinal evaluation of enteric protozoa in Haitian children by stool exam and multiplex serologic assay. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2014;90:653–60.
- Goodhew EB, Priest JW, Moss DM, Zhong G, Munoz B, Mkocha H, et al. CT694 and pgp3 as serological tools for monitoring trachoma programs. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2012;6:e1873.
- Hamlin KL, Moss DM, Priest JW, Roberts J, Kubofcik J, Gass K, et al. Longitudinal monitoring of the development of antifilarial antibodies and acquisition of Wuchereria bancrofti in a highly endemic area of Haiti. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2012;6:e1941.
- Lammie PJ, Moss DM, Brook Goodhew E, Hamlin K, Krolewiecki A, West SK, et al. Development of a new platform for neglected tropical disease surveillance. Int J Parasitol. 2012;42:797–800.
- Poirier MJP, Moss DM, Feeser KR, Streit TG, Chang G-JJ, Whitney M, et al. Measuring Haitian children’s exposure to chikungunya, dengue and malaria. Bull World Health Organ. 2016;94:817–825A.
- Feeser KR, Cama V, Priest JW, Thiele EA, Wiegand RE, Lakwo T, et al. Characterizing reactivity to Onchocerca volvulus antigens in multiplex bead assays. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;97:666–72.
- Curtis KA, Kennedy MS, Charurat M, Nasidi A, Delaney K, Spira TJ, et al. Development and characterization of a bead-based, multiplex assay for estimation of recent HIV type 1 infection. AIDS Res Hum Retroviruses. 2012;28:188–97.
- Metcalf CJE, Farrar J, Cutts FT, Basta NE, Graham AL, Lessler J, et al. Use of serological surveys to generate key insights into the changing global landscape of infectious disease. Lancet. 2016;388:728–30.
- Hens N, Shkedy Z, Aerts M, Damme CFPV, Beutels P. Modeling infectious disease parameters based on serological and social contact data: a modern statistical perspective. New York: Springer-Verlag New York; 2012.
- Solomon AW, Engels D, Bailey RL, Blake IM, Brooker S, Chen J-X, et al. A diagnostics platform for the integrated mapping, monitoring, and surveillance of neglected tropical diseases: rationale and target product profiles. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2012;6:e1746.
- van Gageldonk PGM, van Schaijk FG, van der Klis FR, Berbers GAM. Development and validation of a multiplex immunoassay for the simultaneous determination of serum antibodies to Bordetella pertussis, diphtheria and tetanus. J Immunol Methods. 2008;335:79–89.
- Scobie HM, Mao B, Buth S, Wannemuehler KA, Sørensen C, Kannarath C, et al. Tetanus immunity among women aged 15 to 39 years in Cambodia: a national population-based serosurvey, 2012. Clin Vaccine Immunol. 2016;23:546–54.
- Arnold BF, van der Laan MJ, Hubbard AE, Steel C, Kubofcik J, Hamlin KL, et al. Measuring changes in transmission of neglected tropical diseases, malaria, and enteric pathogens from quantitative antibody levels. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2017;11:e0005616.
- Priest JW, Jenks MH, Moss DM, Mao B, Buth S, Wannemuehler K, et al. Integration of multiplex bead assays for parasitic diseases into a national, population-based serosurvey of women 15-39 years of age in Cambodia. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2016;10:e0004699.
- Frenk J. The global health system: strengthening national health systems as the next step for global progress. PLoS Med. 2010;7:e1000089.
- Sturrock HJW, Bennett AF, Midekisa A, Gosling RD, Gething PW, Greenhouse B. Mapping malaria risk in low transmission settings: challenges and opportunities. Trends Parasitol. 2016;32:635–45.
- Zhou X-N, Bergquist R, Tanner M. Elimination of tropical disease through surveillance and response. Infect Dis Poverty. 2013;2:1.
- United Nations. Sustainable development goals [cited 2017 Feb 14]. http://www.un.org/sustainabledevelopment
- Woolhouse ME, Hagan P. Seeking the ghost of worms past. Nat Med. 1999;5:1225–7.
- Hotez PJ, Alvarado M, Basáñez M-G, Bolliger I, Bourne R, Boussinesq M, et al. The global burden of disease study 2010: interpretation and implications for the neglected tropical diseases. PLoS Negl Trop Dis. 2014;8:e2865.
- Kroidl I, Saathoff E, Maganga L, Makunde WH, Hoerauf A, Geldmacher C, et al. Effect of Wuchereria bancrofti infection on HIV incidence in southwest Tanzania: a prospective cohort study. Lancet. 2016;388:1912–20.
- Salgame P, Yap GS, Gause WC. Effect of helminth-induced immunity on infections with microbial pathogens. Nat Immunol. 2013;14:1118–26.
- Blackwell AD, Tamayo MA, Beheim B, Trumble BC, Stieglitz J, Hooper PL, et al. Helminth infection, fecundity, and age of first pregnancy in women. Science. 2015;350:970–2.
- Moore SM, Azman AS, Zaitchik BF, Mintz ED, Brunkard J, Legros D, et al. El Niño and the shifting geography of cholera in Africa. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2017;114:4436–41.
- Kovats RS, Bouma MJ, Hajat S, Worrall E, Haines A. El Niño and health. Lancet. 2003;362:1481–9.
- Scobie HM, Patel M, Martin D, Mkocha H, Njenga SM, Odiere MR, et al. Tetanus immunity gaps in children 5–14 years and men >15 years of age revealed by integrated disease serosurveillance in Kenya, Tanzania, and Mozambique. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2017;96:415–20.
- Mulders MN, Serhan F, Goodson JL, Icenogle J, Johnson BW, Rota PA. Expansion of Surveillance for Vaccine-preventable Diseases: Building on the Global Polio Laboratory Network and the Global Measles and Rubella Laboratory Network Platforms. J Infect Dis. 2017;216(suppl_1):S324–30.
- Corran P, Coleman P, Riley E, Drakeley C. Serology: a robust indicator of malaria transmission intensity? Trends Parasitol. 2007;23:575–82.
- Masson J, Douglass J, Roineau M, Aye KS, Htwe K, Warner J, et al. Concordance between plasma and filter paper sampling techniques for the lymphatic filariasis bm14 antibody ELISA. Trop Med Infect Dis. 2017;2:6.
- Formenti F, Buonfrate D, Prandi R, Marquez M, Caicedo C, Rizzi E, et al. Comparison of S. stercoralis serology performed on dried blood spots and on conventional serum samples. Front Microbiol. 2016;7:1778.
- Snijdewind IJM, van Kampen JJA, Fraaij PLA, van der Ende ME, Osterhaus ADME, Gruters RA. Current and future applications of dried blood spots in viral disease management. Antiviral Res. 2012;93:309–21.
- Jacobson JO, Cueto C, Smith JL, Hwang J, Gosling R, Bennett A. Surveillance and response for high-risk populations: what can malaria elimination programmes learn from the experience of HIV? Malar J. 2017;16:33.
- Chipeta MG, Terlouw DJ, Phiri KS, Diggle PJ. Adaptive geostatistical design and analysis for prevalence surveys. Spat Stat. 2016;15:70–84.
- Helb DA, Tetteh KKA, Felgner PL, Skinner J, Hubbard A, Arinaitwe E, et al. Novel serologic biomarkers provide accurate estimates of recent Plasmodium falciparum exposure for individuals and communities. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2015;112:E4438–47.
- Osgood-Zimmerman A, Millear AI, Stubbs RW, Shields C, Pickering BV, Earl L, et al. Mapping child growth failure in Africa between 2000 and 2015. Nature. 2018;555:41–7.
- Takahashi S, Metcalf CJE, Ferrari MJ, Tatem AJ, Lessler J. The geography of measles vaccination in the African Great Lakes region. Nat Commun. 2017;8:15585.
- Gething PW, Casey DC, Weiss DJ, Bisanzio D, Bhatt S, Cameron E, et al. Mapping Plasmodium falciparum mortality in Africa between 1990 and 2015. N Engl J Med. 2016;375:2435–45.
- Solomon AW, Pavluck AL, Courtright P, Aboe A, Adamu L, Alemayehu W, et al. The Global Trachoma Mapping Project: methodology of a 34-country population-based study. Ophthalmic Epidemiol. 2015;22:214–25.
- Moyes CL, Temperley WH, Henry AJ, Burgert CR, Hay SI. Providing open access data online to advance malaria research and control. Malar J. 2013;12:161.
Page created: June 18, 2018
Page updated: June 18, 2018
Page reviewed: June 18, 2018
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.