Volume 25, Number 4—April 2019
Cost-effectiveness of Latent Tuberculosis Infection Screening before Immigration to Low-Incidence Countries
|Parameter||Estimate, $||Range evaluated in PSA||PSA distribution||References|
|Full INH treatment||992||804–1179||Triangular, 804–1179||BCCDC, (33,36)|
|Nurse and clinician costs||741|
|Follow-up chest radiograph||42|
|Full RIF treatment||575||464–686||Triangular, 464–686||BCCDC, (33,36)|
|Nurse and clinician costs||421|
|Follow-up chest radiograph||42|
|Partial INH||462||174–804||Triangular, 174–804||BCCDC, (33,36)|
|Partial RIF||319||178–464||Triangular, 178–464||BCCDC, (33,36)|
|Complete TST||31||24–38||Triangular, 24–38||BCCDC, (33,36)|
|Nurse costs (2 visits)||20|
|Incomplete TST||21||17–25||Triangular, 17–25||BCCDC, (33,36)|
|IGRA||54||31–62||Triangular, 31–62||BCCDC, (33,36)|
|Kit and technician cost||47|
|Chest radiograph||42||32–52||Triangular, 32–52||BCCDC, (33,36)|
|Cost per radiograph||35|
|TB||20,532||7141–39,525||Gamma(4.1064,5,000)||Expert opinion, (33,34)|
|LTBI adverse event||732||549–916||Triangular, 549–916||(33)|
|Adverse event disutility||0.2||0.15–0.25||Triangular, ±25%||(30,33)|
*All costs are in 2016 Can $. BCCDC, British Columbia Centre for Disease Control; IGRA, interferon-gamma release assay; INH, isoniazid; LTBI, latent tuberculosis infection; PSA, probabilistic sensitivity analysis; RIF, rifampin; TB, tuberculosis; TST, tuberculin skin test.
†Sampled as a percent decrement compared to healthy QALY.
- World Health Organization. Framework towards tuberculosis elimination in low-incidence countries. Geneva: The Organization; 2014 [cited 2018 Mar 7]. http://www.who.int/tb/publications/elimination_framework/en/
- Pareek M, Greenaway C, Noori T, Munoz J, Zenner D. The impact of migration on tuberculosis epidemiology and control in high-income countries: a review. BMC Med. 2016;14:48.
- Public Health Agency of Canada. Canadian tuberculosis standards, 7th ed. Ottawa (ON): Government of Canada; 2014 [cited 2018 Mar 7]. https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/infectious-diseases/canadian-tuberculosis-standards-7th-edition.html
- Taylor Z, Nolan CM, Blumberg HM; American Thoracic Society; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention; Infectious Diseases Society of America. Controlling tuberculosis in the United States. Recommendations from the American Thoracic Society, CDC, and the Infectious Diseases Society of America. MMWR Recomm Rep. 2005;54(RR-12):1–81.
- Alsdurf H, Hill PC, Matteelli A, Getahun H, Menzies D. The cascade of care in diagnosis and treatment of latent tuberculosis infection: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Infect Dis. 2016;16:1269–78.
- Campbell J, Marra F, Cook V, Johnston J. Screening immigrants for latent tuberculosis: do we have the resources? CMAJ. 2014;186:246–7.
- Campbell JR, Sasitharan T, Marra F. A systematic review of studies evaluating the cost utility of screening high-risk populations for latent tuberculosis infection. Appl Health Econ Health Policy. 2015;13:325–40.
- Pareek M, Baussano I, Abubakar I, Dye C, Lalvani A. Evaluation of immigrant tuberculosis screening in industrialized countries. Emerg Infect Dis. 2012;18:1422–9.
- Institute of Medicine (US) Committee on the Elimination of Tuberculosis in the United States. Ending neglect: the elimination of tuberculosis in the United States. Geiter L, editor. Washington (DC): National Academies Press; 2000.
- Coker R, van Weezenbeek KL. Mandatory screening and treatment of immigrants for latent tuberculosis in the USA: just restraint? Lancet Infect Dis. 2001;1:270–6.
- Karnon J, Stahl J, Brennan A, Caro JJ, Mar J, Möller J; ISPOR-SMDM Modeling Good Research Practices Task Force. Modeling using discrete event simulation: a report of the ISPOR-SMDM Modeling Good Research Practices Task Force—4. Value Health. 2012;15:821–7.
- Statistics Canada. Report on the demographic situation in Canada: permanent and temporary immigration to Canada from 2012 to 2014. Ottawa (ON): Government of Canada; 2016 [cited 2018 Mar 7]. http://www.statcan.gc.ca/pub/91-209-x/2016001/article/14615-eng.htm
- Badar S, Araújo T, Zwerling A, Pai M. BCG world atlas. 2nd edition. 2017 [cited 2018 Mar 7]. http://www.bcgatlas.org/index.php
- World Health Organization. UNICEF. WHO-UNICEF estimates of BCG coverage. Geneva: World Health Organization; 2017 [cited 2018 Mar 7]. http://apps.who.int/immunization_monitoring/globalsummary/timeseries/tswucoveragebcg.html
- Khan K, Hirji MM, Miniota J, Hu W, Wang J, Gardam M, et al. Domestic impact of tuberculosis screening among new immigrants to Ontario, Canada. CMAJ. 2015;187:E473–81.
- Campbell JR, Chen W, Johnston J, Cook V, Elwood K, Krot J, et al. Latent tuberculosis infection screening in immigrants to low-incidence countries: a meta-analysis. Mol Diagn Ther. 2015;19:107–17.
- Shea KM, Kammerer JS, Winston CA, Navin TR, Horsburgh CR Jr. Estimated rate of reactivation of latent tuberculosis infection in the United States, overall and by population subgroup. Am J Epidemiol. 2014;179:216–25.
- Walter ND, Painter J, Parker M, Lowenthal P, Flood J, Fu Y, et al.; Tuberculosis Epidemiologic Studies Consortium. Persistent latent tuberculosis reactivation risk in United States immigrants. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2014;189:88–95.
- Campbell JR, Krot J, Elwood K, Cook V, Marra F. A systematic review on TST and IGRA tests used for diagnosis of LTBI in immigrants. Mol Diagn Ther. 2015;19:9–24.
- Menzies D, Pai M, Comstock G. Meta-analysis: new tests for the diagnosis of latent tuberculosis infection: areas of uncertainty and recommendations for research. Ann Intern Med. 2007;146:340–54.
- Pai M, Zwerling A, Menzies D. Systematic review: T-cell-based assays for the diagnosis of latent tuberculosis infection: an update. Ann Intern Med. 2008;149:177–84.
- Chan IHY, Kaushik N, Dobler CC. Post-migration follow-up of migrants identified to be at increased risk of developing tuberculosis at pre-migration screening: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Infect Dis. 2017;17:770–9.
- Sanders GD, Neumann PJ, Basu A, Brock DW, Feeny D, Krahn M, et al. Recommendations for conduct, methodological practices, and reporting of cost-effectiveness analyses. JAMA. 2016;316:1093–103.
- Menzies D, Adjobimey M, Ruslami R, Trajman A, Sow O, Kim H, et al. Four months of rifampin or nine months of isoniazid for latent tuberculosis in adults. N Engl J Med. 2018;379:440–53.
- Campbell JR, Johnston JC, Sadatsafavi M, Cook VJ, Elwood RK, Marra F. Cost-effectiveness of post-landing latent tuberculosis infection control strategies in new migrants to Canada. PLoS One. 2017;12:e0186778.
- Salpeter SR. Fatal isoniazid-induced hepatitis. Its risk during chemoprophylaxis. West J Med. 1993;159:560–4.
- International Union Against Tuberculosis Committee on Prophylaxis. Efficacy of various durations of isoniazid preventive therapy for tuberculosis: five years of follow-up in the IUAT trial. Bull World Health Organ. 1982;60:555–64.
- Reichman LB, Lardizabal A, Hayden CH. Considering the role of four months of rifampin in the treatment of latent tuberculosis infection. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2004;170:832–5.
- Aldridge RW, Zenner D, White PJ, Williamson EJ, Muzyamba MC, Dhavan P, et al. Tuberculosis in migrants moving from high-incidence to low-incidence countries: a population-based cohort study of 519 955 migrants screened before entry to England, Wales, and Northern Ireland. Lancet. 2016;388:2510–8.
- Holland DP, Sanders GD, Hamilton CD, Stout JE. Costs and cost-effectiveness of four treatment regimens for latent tuberculosis infection. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2009;179:1055–60.
- Jasmer RM, Bozeman L, Schwartzman K, Cave MD, Saukkonen JJ, Metchock B, et al.; Tuberculosis Trials Consortium. Recurrent tuberculosis in the United States and Canada: relapse or reinfection? Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2004;170:1360–6.
- Statistics Canada. Life tables, Canada, provinces, and territories. 2016 [cited 2018 Mar 7]. http://www5.statcan.gc.ca/olc-cel/olc.action?objId=84-537-X&objType=2&lang=en&limit=0
- Marra F, Marra CA, Sadatsafavi M, Morán-Mendoza O, Cook V, Elwood RK, et al. Cost-effectiveness of a new interferon-based blood assay, QuantiFERON-TB Gold, in screening tuberculosis contacts. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2008;12:1414–24.
- Menzies D, Lewis M, Oxlade O. Costs for tuberculosis care in Canada. Can J Public Health. 2008;99:391–6.
- Statistics Canada. Consumer price index, annual average, not seasonally adjusted. 2019 [cited 2018 Mar 7]. https://www150.statcan.gc.ca/t1/tbl1/en/tv.action?pid=1810000501
- Tan MC, Marra CA, Sadatsafavi M, Marra F, Morán-Mendoza O, Moadebi S, et al. Cost-effectiveness of LTBI treatment for TB contacts in British Columbia. Value Health. 2008;11:842–52.
- Fassbender K, Fainsinger RL, Carson M, Finegan BA. Cost trajectories at the end of life: the Canadian experience. J Pain Symptom Manage. 2009;38:75–80.
- Bauer M, Ahmed S, Benedetti A, Greenaway C, Lalli M, Leavens A, et al. The impact of tuberculosis on health utility: a longitudinal cohort study. Qual Life Res. 2015;24:1337–49.
- Tagmouti S, Slater M, Benedetti A, Kik SV, Banaei N, Cattamanchi A, et al. Reproducibility of interferon gamma (IFN-γ) release Assays. A systematic review. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2014;11:1267–76.
- Pouchot J, Grasland A, Collet C, Coste J, Esdaile JM, Vinceneux P. Reliability of tuberculin skin test measurement. Ann Intern Med. 1997;126:210–4.
- Douglas P, Posey DL, Zenner D, Robson J, Abubakar I, Giovinazzo G. Capacity strengthening through pre-migration tuberculosis screening programmes: IRHWG experiences. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2017;21:737–45.
- Schwartzman K, Menzies D. Tuberculosis screening of immigrants to low-prevalence countries. A cost-effectiveness analysis. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2000;161:780–9.
- Schwartzman K, Oxlade O, Barr RG, Grimard F, Acosta I, Baez J, et al. Domestic returns from investment in the control of tuberculosis in other countries. N Engl J Med. 2005;353:1008–20.
- Sterling TR, Villarino ME, Borisov AS, Shang N, Gordin F, Bliven-Sizemore E, et al.; TB Trials Consortium PREVENT TB Study Team. Three months of rifapentine and isoniazid for latent tuberculosis infection. N Engl J Med. 2011;365:2155–66.
- Byford S, Raftery J. Perspectives in economic evaluation. BMJ. 1998;316:1529–30.
- Comstock GW. Frost revisited: the modern epidemiology of tuberculosis. Am J Epidemiol. 1975;101:363–82.