Volume 25, Number 7—July 2019
Respiratory Syncytial Virus Infection in Homeless Populations, Washington, USA
- Falsey AR, Hennessey PA, Formica MA, Cox C, Walsh EE. Respiratory syncytial virus infection in elderly and high-risk adults. N Engl J Med. 2005;352:1749–59.
- Falloon J, Yu J, Esser MT, Villafana T, Yu L, Dubovsky F, et al. An adjuvanted, postfusion F protein-based vaccine did not prevent respiratory syncytial virus illness in older adults. J Infect Dis. 2017;216:1362–70.
- Higgins D, Trujillo C, Keech C. Advances in RSV vaccine research and development - A global agenda. Vaccine. 2016;34:2870–5.
- Coleman V. Annual homeless count reveals more people sleeping outside than ever before. The Seattle Times. May 31, 2018 [cited 2018 May 31]. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/homeless/new-homeless-count-in-king-county-shows-spike-in-number-of-people-sleeping-outside
- Raoult D, Foucault C, Brouqui P. Infections in the homeless. Lancet Infect Dis. 2001;1:77–84.
- Hadler SC, Castro KG, Dowdle W, Hicks L, Noble G, Ridzon R. Epidemic Intelligence Service investigations of respiratory illness, 1946-2005. Am J Epidemiol. 2011;174(Suppl):S36–46.
- Rose EB, Wheatley A, Langley G, Gerber S, Haynes A. Respiratory syncytial virus seasonality—United States, 2014–2017. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2018;67:71–6.
- Haynes AK, Prill MM, Iwane MK, Gerber SI; Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Respiratory syncytial virus—United States, July 2012-June 2014. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2014;63:1133–6.
- Donovan S, Shinseki EK. Homelessness is a public health issue. Am J Public Health. 2013;103(Suppl 2):S180.
- Greenstone S. Seattle’s homeless crisis the worst in the country? The Seattle Times. January 16, 2018 [cited 2019 Apr 3]. https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle-news/homeless/is-seattles-homeless-crisis-the-worst-in-the-country
- Hall CB. The nosocomial spread of respiratory syncytial viral infections. Annu Rev Med. 1983;34:311–9.
- Jasti H, Mortensen EM, Obrosky DS, Kapoor WN, Fine MJ. Causes and risk factors for rehospitalization of patients hospitalized with community-acquired pneumonia. Clin Infect Dis. 2008;46:550–6.
- Ackerson B, Tseng HF, Sy LS, Solano Z, Slezak J, Luo Y, et al. Severe morbidity and mortality associated with respiratory syncytial virus versus influenza infection in hospitalized older adults. Clin Infect Dis. 2018; Epub ahead of print.
- Chu HY, Englund JA, Huang D, Scott E, Chan JD, Jain R, et al. Impact of rapid influenza PCR testing on hospitalization and antiviral use: A retrospective cohort study. J Med Virol. 2015;87:2021–6.
- Colosia AD, Yang J, Hillson E, Mauskopf J, Copley-Merriman C, Shinde V, et al. The epidemiology of medically attended respiratory syncytial virus in older adults in the United States: A systematic review. PLoS One. 2017;12:
1These authors contributed equally to this article.
Page created: June 17, 2019
Page updated: June 17, 2019
Page reviewed: June 17, 2019
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.