Volume 27, Number 6—June 2021
Molecular Characterization and Antimicrobial Resistance in Neisseria gonorrhoeae, Nunavut Region of Inuit Nunangat, Canada, 2018–2019
- Choudhri Y, Miller J, Sandhu J, Leon A, Aho J. Gonorrhea in Canada, 2010-2015. Can Commun Dis Rep. 2018;44:37–42.
- Unemo M, Seifert HS, Hook EW III, Hawkes S, Ndowa F, Dillon JR. Gonorrhoea. Nat Rev Dis Primers. 2019;5:79.
- World Health Organization, Department of Reproductive Health and Research. Global action plan to control the spread and impact of antimicrobial resistance in Neisseria gonorrhoeae. 2012 [cited 2021 Apr 21]. https://www.who.int/reproductivehealth/publications/rtis/9789241503501/en
- Public Health Agency of Canada, National Microbiology Laboratory. 2020. National surveillance of antimicrobial susceptibilities of Neisseria gonorrhoeae annual summary 2018 [cited 2021 Apr 21]. https://www.canada.ca/en/public-health/services/publications/drugs-health-products/national-surveillance-antimicrobial-susceptibilities-neisseria-gonorrhoeae-annual-summary-2018.html
- Statistics Canada. Population and dwelling count highlight tables, 2016 census [cited 2021 Apr 21]. https://www12.statcan.gc.ca/census-recensement/2016/dp-pd/hlt-fst/pd-pl/Table.cfm?Lang=Eng&T=101&SR=1&S=3&O=D#tPopDwell
- Nunavut Tunngavik Incorporated. Annual report on the state of Inuit culture and society, 2007–8 [cited 2021 Apr 21]. https://www.tunngavik.com/publications/annual-report-on-the-state-of-inuit-culture-and-society-2007-2008
- Kanatami IT. National Inuit strategy on research, 2018 [cited 2021 Apr 21]. https://www.itk.ca/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/ITK_NISR-Report_English_low_res.pdf
- Martin IM, Ison CA, Aanensen DM, Fenton KA, Spratt BG. Rapid sequence-based identification of gonococcal transmission clusters in a large metropolitan area. J Infect Dis. 2004;189:1497–505.
- Peterson S, Martin I, Demczuk W, Barairo N, Naidu P, Lefebvre B, et al. Multiplex real-time polymerase chain reaction assays for the prediction of cephalosporin, ciprofloxacin, and azithromycin antimicrobial susceptibility of positive Neisseria gonorrhoeae nucleic acid amplification test samples. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2020;75:3485–90.
- Trembizki E, Buckley C, Donovan B, Chen M, Guy R, Kaldor J, et al. Direct real-time PCR-based detection of Neisseria gonorrhoeae 23S rRNA mutations associated with azithromycin resistance. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2015;70:3244–9.
- Tamura K, Nei M. Estimation of the number of nucleotide substitutions in the control region of mitochondrial DNA in humans and chimpanzees. Mol Biol Evol. 1993;10:512–26.
- Kumar S, Stecher G, Li M, Knyaz C, Tamura K. MEGA X: molecular evolutionary genetics analysis across computing platforms. Mol Biol Evol. 2018;35:1547–9.
- Gonorrhea public health protocol. Nunavut communicable disease and surveillance manual. Iqaluit (Canada): Nunavut Department of Health. 2018.
- Didelot X, Dordel J, Whittles LK, Collins C, Bilek N, Bishop CJ, et al. Genomic analysis and comparison of two gonorrhea outbreaks. MBio. 2016;7:e00525–16.
- Ota KV, Fisman DN, Tamari IE, Smieja M, Ng L-K, Jones KE, et al. Incidence and treatment outcomes of pharyngeal Neisseria gonorrhoeae and Chlamydia trachomatis infections in men who have sex with men: a 13-year retrospective cohort study. Clin Infect Dis. 2009;48:1237–43.
Page created: February 24, 2021
Page updated: May 18, 2021
Page reviewed: May 18, 2021
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.