Volume 28, Number 1—January 2022
Multistate Outbreak of SARS-CoV-2 Infections, Including Vaccine Breakthrough Infections, Associated with Large Public Gatherings, United States
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. COVID data tracker: variant proportions, August 2021 [cited 2021 Nov 6]. https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#variant-proportions
- Tenforde MW, Patel MM, Ginde AA, Douin DJ, Talbot HK, Casey JD, et al.; Influenza and Other Viruses in the Acutely Ill (IVY) Network. Effectiveness of SARS-CoV-2 mRNA vaccines for preventing COVID-19 hospitalizations in the United States. Clin Infect Dis. 2021;•••:
ciab687; Epub ahead of print.
- Rosenberg ES, Holtgrave DR, Dorabawila V, Conroy M, Greene D, Lutterloh E, et al. New COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations among adults, by vaccination status—New York, May 3‒July 25, 2021. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2021;70:1150–5.
- Thompson MG, Burgess JL, Naleway AL, Tyner H, Yoon SK, Meece J, et al. Prevention and attenuation of COVID-19 with the BNT162b2 and mRNA-1273 vaccines. N Engl J Med. 2021;385:320–9.
- Fowlkes A, Gaglani M, Groover K, Thiese MS, Tyner H, Ellingson K; HEROES-RECOVER Cohorts. Effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines in preventing SARS-CoV-2 infection among frontline workers before and during B.1.617.2 (Delta) variant predominance—eight U.S. locations, December 2020‒August 2021. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2021;70:1167–9.
- Lopez Bernal J, Andrews N, Gower C, Gallagher E, Simmons R, Thelwall S, et al. Effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines against the B.1.617.2 (Delta) variant. N Engl J Med. 2021;385:585–94.
- Sheikh A, McMenamin J, Taylor B, Robertson C; Public Health Scotland and the EAVE II Collaborators. SARS-CoV-2 Delta VOC in Scotland: demographics, risk of hospital admission, and vaccine effectiveness. Lancet. 2021;397:2461–2.
- Hacisuleyman E, Hale C, Saito Y, Blachere NE, Bergh M, Conlon EG, et al. Vaccine breakthrough infections with SARS-CoV-2 variants. N Engl J Med. 2021;384:2212–8.
- Kustin T, Harel N, Finkel U, Perchik S, Harari S, Tahor M, et al. Evidence for increased breakthrough rates of SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern in BNT162b2-mRNA-vaccinated individuals. Nat Med. 2021;27:1379–84.
- Brown CM, Vostok J, Johnson H, Burns M, Gharpure R, Sami S, et al. Outbreak of SARS-CoV-2 infections, including COVID-19 vaccine breakthrough infections, associated with large public gatherings—Barnstable County, Massachusetts, July 2021. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2021;70:1059–62.
- Griffin JB, Haddix M, Danza P, Fisher R, Koo TH, Traub E, et al. SARS-CoV-2 infections and hospitalizations among persons aged ≥16 years, by vaccination status—Los Angeles County, California, May 1‒July 25, 2021. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2021;70:1170–6.
- Singanayagam A, Hakki S, Dunning J, Madon KJ, Crone MA, Koycheva A, et al.; ATACCC Study Investigators. Community transmission and viral load kinetics of the SARS-CoV-2 delta (B.1.617.2) variant in vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals in the UK: a prospective, longitudinal, cohort study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2021;
- Harris RJ, Hall JA, Zaidi A, Andrews NJ, Dunbar JK, Dabrera G. Effect of vaccination on household transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in England. N Engl J Med. 2021;385:759–60.
- Shah ASV, Gribben C, Bishop J, Hanlon P, Caldwell D, Wood R, et al. Effect of vaccination on transmission of SARS-CoV-2. N Engl J Med. 2021;385:1718–20.
- Chau NVV, Ngoc NM, Nguyet LA, Quang VM, Ny NTH, Khoa DB, et al. An observational study of breakthrough SARS-CoV-2 Delta variant infections among vaccinated healthcare workers in Vietnam. EClinicalMedicine. 2021;41:
- Antonelli M, Penfold RS, Merino J, Sudre CH, Molteni E, Berry S, et al. Risk factors and disease profile of post-vaccination SARS-CoV-2 infection in UK users of the COVID Symptom Study app: a prospective, community-based, nested, case-control study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2021;•••:
S1473-3099(21)00460-6; Epub ahead of print.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. COVID: symptoms of COVID-19 [cited 2021 Nov 6]. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/symptoms.html
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. COVID-19: people with certain medical conditions, August 2021 [cited 2021 Nov 6]. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html
- Elbe S, Buckland-Merrett G. Data, disease and diplomacy: GISAID’s innovative contribution to global health. Glob Chall. 2017;1:33–46.
- NCBI Resource Coordinators. Database resources of the National Center for Biotechnology Information. Nucleic Acids Res. 2016;44(D1):D7–19.
- Pung R, Mak TM, Kucharski AJ, Lee VJ; CMMID COVID-19 working group. Serial intervals in SARS-CoV-2 B.1.617.2 variant cases. Lancet. 2021;398:837–8.
- Zhang M, Xiao J, Deng A, Zhang Y, Zhuang Y, Hu T, et al. Transmission dynamics of an outbreak of the COVID-19 Delta variant B.1.617.2—Guangdong Province, China, May‒June 2021. China CDC Wkly. 2021;3:584–6.
- Casey-Bryars M, Griffin J, McAloon C, Byrne A, Madden J, Mc Evoy D, et al. Presymptomatic transmission of SARS-CoV-2 infection: a secondary analysis using published data. BMJ Open. 2021;11:
- Du Z, Xu X, Wu Y, Wang L, Cowling BJ, Meyers LA. Serial interval of COVID-19 among publicly reported confirmed cases. Emerg Infect Dis. 2020;26:1341–3.
- Christie A, Brooks JT, Hicks LA, Sauber-Schatz EK, Yoder JS, Honein MA; CDC COVID-19 Response Team. Guidance for implementing COVID-19 prevention strategies in the context of varying community transmission levels and vaccination coverage. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2021;70:1044–7.
- Liu Y, Rocklöv J. The reproductive number of the Delta variant of SARAS-CoV-2 is far higher compared to the ancestral SARS-CoV-2 virus. J Travel Med. 2021;28:taab124.
- Scobie HM, Johnson AG, Suthar AB, Severson R, Alden NB, Balter S, et al. Monitoring incidence of COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations, and deaths, by vaccination status—13 U.S. jurisdictions, April 4–July 17, 2021. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2021;70:1284–90.
- Tartof SY, Slezak JM, Fischer H, Hong V, Ackerson BK, Ranasinghe ON, et al. Effectiveness of mRNA BNT162b2 COVID-19 vaccine up to 6 months in a large integrated health system in the USA: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet. 2021;398:1407–16.
- World Health Organization. Guidance on conducting vaccine effectiveness evaluations in the setting of new SARS-CoV-2 variants: interim guidance, July 22, 2021 [cited 2021 Nov 6]. https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/WHO-2019-nCoV-vaccine_effectiveness-variants-2021.1
- Hetemäki I, Kääriäinen S, Alho P, Mikkola J, Savolainen-Kopra C, Ikonen N, et al. An outbreak caused by the SARS-CoV-2 Delta variant (B.1.617.2) in a secondary care hospital in Finland, May 2021. Euro Surveill. 2021;26:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. COVID-19: interim public health recommendations for fully vaccinated people, September 2021 [cited 2021 Nov 6]. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated-guidance.html
- Grannis SJ, Rowley EA, Ong TC, Stenehjem E, Klein NP, DeSilva MB, et al.; VISION Network. VISION Network. Interim estimates of COVID-19 vaccine effectiveness against COVID-19–associated emergency department or urgent care clinic encounters and hospitalizations among adults during SARS-CoV-2 B.1.617.2 (Delta) variant predominance—nine states, June–August 2021. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2021;70:1291–3.
- Bajema KL, Dahl RM, Prill MM, Meites E, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, Marconi VC, et al.; SUPERNOVA COVID-19; Surveillance Group; Surveillance Platform for Enteric and Respiratory Infectious Organisms at the VA (SUPERNOVA) COVID-19 Surveillance Group. SUPERNOVA COVID-19; Surveillance Group; Surveillance Platform for Enteric and Respiratory Infectious Organisms at the VA (SUPERNOVA) COVID-19 Surveillance Group. Effectiveness of COVID-19 mRNA vaccines against COVID-19–associated hospitalization—five veterans affairs medical centers, United States, February 1–August 6, 2021. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2021;70:1294–9.
- Cavanaugh AM, Spicer KB, Thoroughman D, Glick C, Winter K. Reduced risk of reinfection with SARS-CoV-2 after COVID-19 vaccination—Kentucky. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2021;70:1081–3.
1These authors contributed equally to this article.
2These senior authors contributed equally to this article.
Page created: November 05, 2021
Page updated: December 20, 2021
Page reviewed: December 20, 2021
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.