Volume 28, Number 1—January 2022
Multistate Outbreak of SARS-CoV-2 Infections, Including Vaccine Breakthrough Infections, Associated with Large Public Gatherings, United States
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. COVID data tracker: variant proportions, August 2021 [cited 2021 Nov 6]. https://covid.cdc.gov/covid-data-tracker/#variant-proportions
- Tenforde MW, Patel MM, Ginde AA, Douin DJ, Talbot HK, Casey JD, et al.; Influenza and Other Viruses in the Acutely Ill (IVY) Network. Effectiveness of SARS-CoV-2 mRNA vaccines for preventing COVID-19 hospitalizations in the United States. Clin Infect Dis. 2021;•••:
ciab687; Epub ahead of print.
- Rosenberg ES, Holtgrave DR, Dorabawila V, Conroy M, Greene D, Lutterloh E, et al. New COVID-19 cases and hospitalizations among adults, by vaccination status—New York, May 3‒July 25, 2021. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2021;70:1150–5.
- Thompson MG, Burgess JL, Naleway AL, Tyner H, Yoon SK, Meece J, et al. Prevention and attenuation of COVID-19 with the BNT162b2 and mRNA-1273 vaccines. N Engl J Med. 2021;385:320–9.
- Fowlkes A, Gaglani M, Groover K, Thiese MS, Tyner H, Ellingson K; HEROES-RECOVER Cohorts. Effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines in preventing SARS-CoV-2 infection among frontline workers before and during B.1.617.2 (Delta) variant predominance—eight U.S. locations, December 2020‒August 2021. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2021;70:1167–9.
- Lopez Bernal J, Andrews N, Gower C, Gallagher E, Simmons R, Thelwall S, et al. Effectiveness of COVID-19 vaccines against the B.1.617.2 (Delta) variant. N Engl J Med. 2021;385:585–94.
- Sheikh A, McMenamin J, Taylor B, Robertson C; Public Health Scotland and the EAVE II Collaborators. SARS-CoV-2 Delta VOC in Scotland: demographics, risk of hospital admission, and vaccine effectiveness. Lancet. 2021;397:2461–2.
- Hacisuleyman E, Hale C, Saito Y, Blachere NE, Bergh M, Conlon EG, et al. Vaccine breakthrough infections with SARS-CoV-2 variants. N Engl J Med. 2021;384:2212–8.
- Kustin T, Harel N, Finkel U, Perchik S, Harari S, Tahor M, et al. Evidence for increased breakthrough rates of SARS-CoV-2 variants of concern in BNT162b2-mRNA-vaccinated individuals. Nat Med. 2021;27:1379–84.
- Brown CM, Vostok J, Johnson H, Burns M, Gharpure R, Sami S, et al. Outbreak of SARS-CoV-2 infections, including COVID-19 vaccine breakthrough infections, associated with large public gatherings—Barnstable County, Massachusetts, July 2021. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2021;70:1059–62.
- Griffin JB, Haddix M, Danza P, Fisher R, Koo TH, Traub E, et al. SARS-CoV-2 infections and hospitalizations among persons aged ≥16 years, by vaccination status—Los Angeles County, California, May 1‒July 25, 2021. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2021;70:1170–6.
- Singanayagam A, Hakki S, Dunning J, Madon KJ, Crone MA, Koycheva A, et al.; ATACCC Study Investigators. Community transmission and viral load kinetics of the SARS-CoV-2 delta (B.1.617.2) variant in vaccinated and unvaccinated individuals in the UK: a prospective, longitudinal, cohort study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2021;
- Harris RJ, Hall JA, Zaidi A, Andrews NJ, Dunbar JK, Dabrera G. Effect of vaccination on household transmission of SARS-CoV-2 in England. N Engl J Med. 2021;385:759–60.
- Shah ASV, Gribben C, Bishop J, Hanlon P, Caldwell D, Wood R, et al. Effect of vaccination on transmission of SARS-CoV-2. N Engl J Med. 2021;385:1718–20.
- Chau NVV, Ngoc NM, Nguyet LA, Quang VM, Ny NTH, Khoa DB, et al. An observational study of breakthrough SARS-CoV-2 Delta variant infections among vaccinated healthcare workers in Vietnam. EClinicalMedicine. 2021;41:
- Antonelli M, Penfold RS, Merino J, Sudre CH, Molteni E, Berry S, et al. Risk factors and disease profile of post-vaccination SARS-CoV-2 infection in UK users of the COVID Symptom Study app: a prospective, community-based, nested, case-control study. Lancet Infect Dis. 2021;•••:
S1473-3099(21)00460-6; Epub ahead of print.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. COVID: symptoms of COVID-19 [cited 2021 Nov 6]. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/symptoms-testing/symptoms.html
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. COVID-19: people with certain medical conditions, August 2021 [cited 2021 Nov 6]. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/need-extra-precautions/people-with-medical-conditions.html
- Elbe S, Buckland-Merrett G. Data, disease and diplomacy: GISAID’s innovative contribution to global health. Glob Chall. 2017;1:33–46.
- NCBI Resource Coordinators. Database resources of the National Center for Biotechnology Information. Nucleic Acids Res. 2016;44(D1):D7–19.
- Pung R, Mak TM, Kucharski AJ, Lee VJ; CMMID COVID-19 working group. Serial intervals in SARS-CoV-2 B.1.617.2 variant cases. Lancet. 2021;398:837–8.
- Zhang M, Xiao J, Deng A, Zhang Y, Zhuang Y, Hu T, et al. Transmission dynamics of an outbreak of the COVID-19 Delta variant B.1.617.2—Guangdong Province, China, May‒June 2021. China CDC Wkly. 2021;3:584–6.
- Casey-Bryars M, Griffin J, McAloon C, Byrne A, Madden J, Mc Evoy D, et al. Presymptomatic transmission of SARS-CoV-2 infection: a secondary analysis using published data. BMJ Open. 2021;11:
- Du Z, Xu X, Wu Y, Wang L, Cowling BJ, Meyers LA. Serial interval of COVID-19 among publicly reported confirmed cases. Emerg Infect Dis. 2020;26:1341–3.
- Christie A, Brooks JT, Hicks LA, Sauber-Schatz EK, Yoder JS, Honein MA; CDC COVID-19 Response Team. Guidance for implementing COVID-19 prevention strategies in the context of varying community transmission levels and vaccination coverage. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2021;70:1044–7.
- Liu Y, Rocklöv J. The reproductive number of the Delta variant of SARAS-CoV-2 is far higher compared to the ancestral SARS-CoV-2 virus. J Travel Med. 2021;28:taab124.
- Scobie HM, Johnson AG, Suthar AB, Severson R, Alden NB, Balter S, et al. Monitoring incidence of COVID-19 cases, hospitalizations, and deaths, by vaccination status—13 U.S. jurisdictions, April 4–July 17, 2021. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2021;70:1284–90.
- Tartof SY, Slezak JM, Fischer H, Hong V, Ackerson BK, Ranasinghe ON, et al. Effectiveness of mRNA BNT162b2 COVID-19 vaccine up to 6 months in a large integrated health system in the USA: a retrospective cohort study. Lancet. 2021;398:1407–16.
- World Health Organization. Guidance on conducting vaccine effectiveness evaluations in the setting of new SARS-CoV-2 variants: interim guidance, July 22, 2021 [cited 2021 Nov 6]. https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/WHO-2019-nCoV-vaccine_effectiveness-variants-2021.1
- Hetemäki I, Kääriäinen S, Alho P, Mikkola J, Savolainen-Kopra C, Ikonen N, et al. An outbreak caused by the SARS-CoV-2 Delta variant (B.1.617.2) in a secondary care hospital in Finland, May 2021. Euro Surveill. 2021;26:
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. COVID-19: interim public health recommendations for fully vaccinated people, September 2021 [cited 2021 Nov 6]. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/vaccines/fully-vaccinated-guidance.html
- Grannis SJ, Rowley EA, Ong TC, Stenehjem E, Klein NP, DeSilva MB, et al.; VISION Network. VISION Network. Interim estimates of COVID-19 vaccine effectiveness against COVID-19–associated emergency department or urgent care clinic encounters and hospitalizations among adults during SARS-CoV-2 B.1.617.2 (Delta) variant predominance—nine states, June–August 2021. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2021;70:1291–3.
- Bajema KL, Dahl RM, Prill MM, Meites E, Rodriguez-Barradas MC, Marconi VC, et al.; SUPERNOVA COVID-19; Surveillance Group; Surveillance Platform for Enteric and Respiratory Infectious Organisms at the VA (SUPERNOVA) COVID-19 Surveillance Group. SUPERNOVA COVID-19; Surveillance Group; Surveillance Platform for Enteric and Respiratory Infectious Organisms at the VA (SUPERNOVA) COVID-19 Surveillance Group. Effectiveness of COVID-19 mRNA vaccines against COVID-19–associated hospitalization—five veterans affairs medical centers, United States, February 1–August 6, 2021. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2021;70:1294–9.
- Cavanaugh AM, Spicer KB, Thoroughman D, Glick C, Winter K. Reduced risk of reinfection with SARS-CoV-2 after COVID-19 vaccination—Kentucky. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2021;70:1081–3.
1These authors contributed equally to this article.
2These senior authors contributed equally to this article.