Volume 28, Number 3—March 2022
Treatment Outcomes of Childhood Tuberculous Meningitis in a Real-World Retrospective Cohort, Bandung, Indonesia
|Variable||Total||Stage I†||Stage II†||Stage III†|
|Outcome of hospitalization‡|
|Recovered||231 (81.6)||54 (94.7)||111 (84.7)||66 (69.5)|
|Not recovered||8 (2.8)||1 (1.8)||5 (3.8)||2 (2.1)|
|Length of hospital stay, d, median (IQR)
|Time to death, d, median (IQR)
|Outcome at treatment completion‡#|
|Completed treatment||91 (33.5)||22 (39.3)||45 (36.9)||24 (25.5)|
|Without neurologic sequelae**||58 (63.7)||17 (77.3)||31 (68.9)||10 (41.7)|
|With neurologic sequelae**||33 (36.3)||5 (22.7)||14 (31.1)||14 (58.3)|
|Died||62 (22.8)||2 (3.6)||22 (18.0)||38 (40.4)|
|Died after hospital discharge||18 (6.6)||0 (0.0)||7 (5.7)||11 (11.7)|
|Lost to follow-up||1 (0.4)||0 (0.0)||1 (0.8)||0 (0.0)|
|Unknown treatment outcome||118 (43.4)||32 (57.1)||54 (44.3)||32 (34.0)|
*Values are no. (%) except as indicated. IQR, interquartile rage. †Stage I was defined as Glasgow Coma Scale (GCS) of 15 with no focal neurologic signs, stage II as GCS of 11–14 or 15 with focal neurologic signs, and stage III as GCS ≤10 (20). ‡On hospital discharge, recovering patients were those who had clinical improvement (with or without disability), whereas non-recovering patients were those who had persistent vegetative state or discharged against medical advice. Treatment completion included patients who completed 12 mo of TBM therapy. Lost to follow-up included patients who stopped treatment for two consecutive months or more. Unknown treatment outcome included patients who were transferred back to regional public hospitals or community health clinics for follow-up after discharge. Neurologic sequelae were defined as any motor, hearing, visual, or neurodevelopmental impairment that appeared during the illness and persisted through treatment completion. §The causes of death in two patients with stage I TBM were hospital acquired pneumonia + thalassemia major (n = 1), and intracranial metastases of Burkitt lymphoma + increased intracranial pressure (n = 1). ¶Minimum–maximum range. #Excluding 11 patients who were still in ongoing treatment. **Percentages were calculated only in patients who completed 12 mo of treatment.
- World Health Organization. Global tuberculosis report 2020. 2020 [cited 2021 Dec 28]. https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/9789240013131
- Chiang SS, Khan FA, Milstein MB, Tolman AW, Benedetti A, Starke JR, et al. Treatment outcomes of childhood tuberculous meningitis: a systematic review and meta-analysis. Lancet Infect Dis. 2014;14:947–57.
- Marais BJ, Gie RP, Schaaf HS, Hesseling AC, Obihara CC, Starke JJ, et al. The natural history of childhood intrathoracic tuberculosis—a critical review of the pre-chemotherapy literature. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2004;8:392–402.
- García-Basteiro AL, Schaaf HS, Diel R, Migliori GB. Adolescents and young adults: a neglected population group for tuberculosis surveillance. Eur Respir J. 2018;51:
- Marais BJ, Amanullah F, Gupta A, Becerra MC, Snow K, Ngadaya E, et al. Tuberculosis in children, adolescents, and women. Lancet Respir Med. 2020;8:335–7.
- World Health Organization. Roadmap towards ending TB in children and adolescents, second edition [cited 2021 Dec 28]. https://apps.who.int/iris/bitstream/handle/10665/274374/9789241514668-eng.pdf
- Wilkinson RJ, Rohlwink U, Misra UK, van Crevel R, Mai NTH, Dooley KE, et al.; Tuberculous Meningitis International Research Consortium. Tuberculous meningitis. Nat Rev Neurol. 2017;13:581–98.
- van Toorn R, Solomons R. Update on the diagnosis and management of tuberculous meningitis in children. Semin Pediatr Neurol. 2014;21:12–8.
- Hill J, Marais B. Improved treatment for children with tuberculous meningitis: acting on what we know. Arch Dis Child. 2022;107:68–9.
- Huynh J, Thwaites G, Marais BJ, Schaaf HS. Tuberculosis treatment in children: The changing landscape. Paediatr Respir Rev. 2020;36:33–43.
- van Well GTJ, Paes BF, Terwee CB, Springer P, Roord JJ, Donald PR, et al. Twenty years of pediatric tuberculous meningitis: a retrospective cohort study in the western cape of South Africa. Pediatrics. 2009;123:e1–8.
- van Toorn R, Schaaf HS, Laubscher JA, van Elsland SL, Donald PR, Schoeman JF. Short intensified treatment in children with drug-susceptible tuberculous meningitis. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2014;33:248–52.
- Yaramiş A, Gurkan F, Elevli M, Söker M, Haspolat K, Kirbaş G, et al. Central nervous system tuberculosis in children: a review of 214 cases. Pediatrics. 1998;102:
- Nataprawira HM, Ruslianti V, Solek P, Hawani D, Milanti M, Anggraeni R, et al. Outcome of tuberculous meningitis in children: the first comprehensive retrospective cohort study in Indonesia. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2016;20:909–14.
- Faried A, Ramdan A, Arifin MZ, Nataprawira HM. Characteristics and surgical outcomes of tuberculous meningitis and of tuberculous spondylitis in pediatric patients at Dr. Hasan Sadikin Hospital, Bandung: a single center experience. Interdiscip Neurosurg Adv Tech Case Manag. 2018;11:37–40.
- Faried A, Putra SPS, Suradji EW, Trianto , Akbar RR, Nugraheni NK, et al. Characteristics and outcomes of pediatric tuberculous meningitis patients with complicated by hydrocephalus with or without tuberculoma at Regional Public Hospital Teluk Bintuni, West Papua, Indonesia. Interdiscip Neurosurg. 2020;19:
- Rahajoe NN, Nawas A, Setyanto DB, Kaswandani N, Triasih R, Indawati W, et al. Buku petunjuk teknis manajemen dan tatalaksana TB anak [National guideline on the management of tuberculosis in children]. Ministry of Health of the Republic of Indonesia. Jakarta (Indonesia): Ministry of Health of the Republic of Indonesia; 2016.
- Marais S, Thwaites G, Schoeman JF, Török ME, Misra UK, Prasad K, et al. Tuberculous meningitis: a uniform case definition for use in clinical research. Lancet Infect Dis. 2010;10:803–12.
- World Health Organization. Guidance for national tuberculosis programmes on the management of tuberculosis in children (2nd edition). World Health Organization; 2014 [cited 2022 Feb 5]. https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/9789241548748
- Thwaites GE, Nguyen DB, Nguyen HD, Hoang TQ, Do TTO, Nguyen TCT, et al. Dexamethasone for the treatment of tuberculous meningitis in adolescents and adults. N Engl J Med. 2004;351:1741–51.
- Donald PR. The chemotherapy of tuberculous meningitis in children and adults. Tuberculosis (Edinb). 2010;90:375–92.
- Gafar F, Van’t Boveneind-Vrubleuskaya N, Akkerman OW, Wilffert B, Alffenaar JC. Nationwide analysis of treatment outcomes in children and adolescents routinely treated for tuberculosis in the Netherlands. Eur Respir J. 2019;54:
- Kalita J, Prasad S, Misra UK. Predictors of paradoxical tuberculoma in tuberculous meningitis. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 2014;18:486–91.
- Chidambaram V, Tun NL, Majella MG, Ruelas Castillo J, Ayeh SK, Kumar A, et al. Male sex is associated with worse microbiological and clinical outcomes following tuberculosis treatment: a retrospective cohort study, a systematic review of the literature, and meta-analysis. Clin Infect Dis. 2021;73:1580–8.
- Basu Roy R, Bakeera-Kitaka S, Chabala C, Gibb DM, Huynh J, Mujuru H, et al. Defeating paediatric tuberculous meningitis: applying the WHO “defeating meningitis by 2030: global roadmap.”. Microorganisms. 2021;9:857.
- Maree F, Hesseling AC, Schaaf HS, Marais BJ, Beyers N, van Helden P, et al. Absence of an association between Mycobacterium tuberculosis genotype and clinical features in children with tuberculous meningitis. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2007;26:13–8.
- Rohlwink UK, Donald K, Gavine B, Padayachy L, Wilmshurst JM, Fieggen GA, et al. Clinical characteristics and neurodevelopmental outcomes of children with tuberculous meningitis and hydrocephalus. Dev Med Child Neurol. 2016;58:461–8.
- Basu Roy R, Thee S, Blázquez-Gamero D, Falcón-Neyra L, Neth O, Noguera-Julian A, et al.; ptbnet TB Meningitis Study Group. Performance of immune-based and microbiological tests in children with tuberculosis meningitis in Europe: a multicentre Paediatric Tuberculosis Network European Trials Group (ptbnet) study. Eur Respir J. 2020;56:
- Abubakar I, Pimpin L, Ariti C, Beynon R, Mangtani P, Sterne JA, et al. Systematic review and meta-analysis of the current evidence on the duration of protection by bacillus Calmette-Guérin vaccination against tuberculosis. [v–vi.] [v–vi.]. Health Technol Assess. 2013;17:1–372, v–vi.
- Gafar F, Ochi T, Van’t Boveneind-Vrubleuskaya N, Akkerman OW, Erkens C, van den Hof S, et al. Towards elimination of childhood and adolescent tuberculosis in the Netherlands: an epidemiological time-series analysis of national surveillance data. Eur Respir J. 2020;56:
- Trunz BB, Fine P, Dye C. Effect of BCG vaccination on childhood tuberculous meningitis and miliary tuberculosis worldwide: a meta-analysis and assessment of cost-effectiveness. Lancet. 2006;367:1173–80.
- Cernuschi T, Malvolti S, Nickels E, Friede M. Bacillus Calmette-Guérin (BCG) vaccine: A global assessment of demand and supply balance. Vaccine. 2018;36:498–506.
- du Preez K, Seddon JA, Schaaf HS, Hesseling AC, Starke JR, Osman M, et al. Global shortages of BCG vaccine and tuberculous meningitis in children. Lancet Glob Health. 2019;7:e28–9.
- World Health Organization. Immunization Indonesia 2021 country profile. 2021 [cited 2021 Dec 28]. https://www.who.int/immunization/monitoring_surveillance/data/idn.pdf
- Martinez L, Cords O, Horsburgh CR, Andrews JR, Acuna-Villaorduna C, Ahuja SD, et al.; Pediatric TB Contact Studies Consortium. The risk of tuberculosis in children after close exposure: a systematic review and individual-participant meta-analysis. Lancet. 2020;395:973–84.
- Bang ND, Caws M, Truc TT, Duong TN, Dung NH, Ha DTM, et al. Clinical presentations, diagnosis, mortality and prognostic markers of tuberculous meningitis in Vietnamese children: a prospective descriptive study. BMC Infect Dis. 2016;16:573.
- Thee S, Basu Roy R, Blázquez-Gamero D, Falcón-Neyra L, Neth O, Noguera-Julian A, et al.; ptbnet TB Meningitis Study Group. Treatment and outcome in children with tuberculous meningitis - a multi-centre Paediatric Tuberculosis Network European Trials Group study. Clin Infect Dis. 2021;
ciab982; Epub ahead of print.
- Boyles TH, Lynen L, Seddon JA; Tuberculous Meningitis International Research Consortium. Decision-making in the diagnosis of tuberculous meningitis. Wellcome Open Res. 2020;5:11.
- Cresswell FV, Te Brake L, Atherton R, Ruslami R, Dooley KE, Aarnoutse R, et al. Intensified antibiotic treatment of tuberculosis meningitis. Expert Rev Clin Pharmacol. 2019;12:267–88.
- Donald PR, Schoeman JF, Van Zyl LE, De Villiers JN, Pretorius M, Springer P. Intensive short course chemotherapy in the management of tuberculous meningitis. Int J Tuberc Lung Dis. 1998;2:704–11.
- World Health Organization. Rapid communication on updated guidance on the management of tuberculosis in children and adolescents [cited 2021 Dec 28]. https://www.who.int/publications/i/item/9789240033450
- Ruslami R, Gafar F, Yunivita V, Parwati I, Ganiem AR, Aarnoutse RE, et al. Pharmacokinetics and safety/tolerability of isoniazid, rifampicin and pyrazinamide in children and adolescents treated for tuberculous meningitis. Arch Dis Child. 2022;107:70–7.
- Panjasawatwong N, Wattanakul T, Hoglund RM, Bang ND, Pouplin T, Nosoongnoen W, et al. Population pharmacokinetic properties of antituberculosis drugs in Vietnamese children with tuberculous meningitis. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2020;65:e00487–20.
- van Toorn R, Zaharie S-D, Seddon JA, van der Kuip M, Marceline van Furth A, Schoeman JF, et al. The use of thalidomide to treat children with tuberculosis meningitis: A review. Tuberculosis (Edinb). 2021;130:
- Abo YN, Curtis N, Osowicki J, Haeusler G, Purcell R, Kadambari S, et al. Infliximab for paradoxical reactions in pediatric central nervous system tuberculosis. J Pediatric Infect Dis Soc. 2021 Oct 5;piab094.
- Gafar F, Marais BJ, Nataprawira HM, Alffenaar JC. Optimizing antimicrobial and host-directed therapies to improve clinical outcomes of childhood tuberculous meningitis. Clin Infect Dis. 2021;
ciab1036; Epub ahead of print.
- Schoeman JF, Van Zyl LE, Laubscher JA, Donald PR. Effect of corticosteroids on intracranial pressure, computed tomographic findings, and clinical outcome in young children with tuberculous meningitis. Pediatrics. 1997;99:226–31.
- Rohlwink UK, Figaji A, Wilkinson KA, Horswell S, Sesay AK, Deffur A, et al. Tuberculous meningitis in children is characterized by compartmentalized immune responses and neural excitotoxicity. Nat Commun. 2019;10:3767.
- Rohlwink UK, Mauff K, Wilkinson KA, Enslin N, Wegoye E, Wilkinson RJ, et al. Biomarkers of cerebral injury and inflammation in pediatric tuberculous meningitis. Clin Infect Dis. 2017;65:1298–307.
- Marais BJ, Heemskerk AD, Marais SS, van Crevel R, Rohlwink U, Caws M, et al.; Tuberculous Meningitis International Research Consortium. Standardized methods for enhanced quality and comparability of tuberculous meningitis studies. Clin Infect Dis. 2017;64:501–9.
1These first authors contributed equally to this article.