Volume 4, Number 2—June 1998
Emergence of the M Phenotype of Erythromycin-Resistant Pneumococci in South Africa
- Dixon JMS. Pneumococcus resistant to erythromycin and lincomycin. Lancet. 1967;i:573.
- Jacobs MR, Koornhof HJ, Robins-Browne RM, Stevenson CM, Vermaak ZA, Freiman I, Emergence of multiply resistant pneumococci. N Engl J Med. 1978;299:735–40.
- Lai C-J, Weisblum B. Altered methylation of ribosomal RNA in an erythromycin-resistant strain of Staphylococcus aureus. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 1971;68:856.
- Weisblum B. Erythromycin resistance by ribosome modification. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1995;39:577–85.
- Trieu-Cuot P, Poyart-Salmeron C, Carlier C, Courvalin P. Nucleotide sequence of the erythromycin resistance gene of the conjugative transposon Tn1545. Nucleic Acids Res. 1990;18:3660.
- Horinouchi S, Byeon WH, Weisblum B. A complex attenuator regulates inducible resistance to macrolides, lincosamides, and streptogramin type B antibiotics in Streptococcus sanguis. J Bacteriol. 1983;154:1252–62.
- Sutcliffe J, Tait-Kamradt A, Wondrack L. Streptococcus pneumoniae and Streptococcus pyogenes resistant to macrolides but sensitive to clindamycin: a common resistance pattern mediated by an efflux system. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1996;40:1817–24.
- Tait-Kamradt A, Clancy J, Cronan M, Dib-Hajj F, Won-drack L, Yuan W, mefE is necessary for the erythro-mycin-resistant M phenotype in Streptococcus pneumoniae. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1997;41:2251–5.
- Fernandez-Muñoz R, Monro RE, Torres-Pinedo R, Vasquez D. Substrate- and antibiotic-binding sites at the peptidyl-transferase centre of Escherichia coli ribosomes. Studies on the chloramphenicol, lincomycin and erythromycin sites. Eur J Biochem. 1971;23:185–93.
- National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards. Performance standards for antimicrobial disc susceptibility tests. 6th ed. Wayne (PA): The Committee; 1997.
- Paton JC, Berry AM, Lock RA, Hansman D, Manning PA. Cloning and expression in Escherichia coli of the Streptococcus pneumoniae gene encoding pneumolysin. Infect Immun. 1986;54:50–5.
- Sutcliffe J, Grebe T, Tait-Kamradt A, Wondrack L. Detection of erythromycin-resistant determinants by PCR. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1996;40:2562–6.
- Robbins JB, Austrian R, Lee C-J, Rastogi SC, Schiffman G, Henrichsen J, Considerations for formulating the second generation pneumococcal capsular polysaccharide vaccine with emphasis on the cross-reactive types within groups. J Infect Dis. 1983;148:1136–59.
- Gray BM, Converse GM III, Dillon HC Jr. Epidemiologic studies of Streptococcus pneumoniae in infants: acquisition, carriage, and infection during the first 24 months of life. J Infect Dis. 1980;142:923–33.
- Friedland IR, Klugman KP. Failure of chloramphenicol therapy in penicillin-resistant pneumococcal meningitis. Lancet. 1992;339:405–8.
- Ednie LM, Spangler SK, Jacobs MR, Appelbaum PC. Susceptibilities of 228 penicillin- and erythromycin-susceptible and -resistant pneumococci to RU 64004, a new ketolide, compared with susceptibilities to 16 other agents. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1997;41:1033–6.
- Reichler MR, Rakovsky J, Sobotová A, Sláciková M, Hlavácová B, Hill B, Multiple antimicrobial resistance of pneumococci in children with otitis media, bacteremia, and meningitis in Slovakia. J Infect Dis. 1995;171:1491–6.
- Gür D, Ünal S, Akalin HE. Resistance patterns in Turkey. Int J Antimicrob Agents. 1995;6:23–6.
- Goldstein FW, Acar JF; The Alexander Project Collaborative Group. Antimicrobial resistance among lower respiratory tract isolates of Streptococcus pneumoniae: results of a 1992-93 Western Europe and USA collaborative study. J Antimicrob Chemother. 1996;38:71–84.
- Aszkenasy OM, George RC, Begg NT. Pneumococcal bacteraemia and meningitis in England and Wales 1982 to 1992. Commun Dis Rep CDR Rev. 1995;5:R45–50.
- Doern GV, Brueggemann AB, Holley HP Jr, Rauch AM. Antimicrobial resistance of Streptococcus pneumoniae recovered from outpatients in the United States during the winter months of 1994 to 1995: results of a 30-year national surveillance study. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1996;40:1208–13.
- Butler JC, Hofmann J, Cetron MS, Elliott JA, Facklam RR, Breiman RF, The continued emergence of drug-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae in the United States: an update from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention's Pneumococcal Surveillance System. J Infect Dis. 1996;174:986–93.
- Vaz Pato MV, Belo de Carvalho C, Tomasz A. the Multicenter Study Group. Antibiotic susceptibility of Streptococcus pneumoniae isolates in Portugal. A multicenter study between 1989 and 1993. Microb Drug Resist. 1995;1:59–69.
- Klugman KP, Koornhof HJ, Kuhnle V. Clinical and nasopharyngeal isolates of unusual multiply resistant pneumococci. Am J Dis Child. 1986;140:1186–90.
- Visalli MA, Jacobs MR, Appelbaum PC. Susceptibility of penicillin-susceptible and -resistant pneumococci to dirithromycin compared with susceptibilities to erythromycin, azithromycin, clarithromycin, roxithromycin, and clindamycin. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1997;41:1867–70.
- Pankuch GA, Lichtenberger C, Jacobs MR, Appelbaum PC. Antipneumococcal activities of RP 59500 (quinupristin-dalfopristin), penicillin G, erythromycin, and sparfloxacin determined by MIC and rapid time-kill methodologies. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1996;40:1653–6.
- Barry AL, Fuchs PC. In vitro activities of a streptogramin (RP59500), three macrolides, and an azalide against four respiratory tract pathogens. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1995;39:238–40.
- Burucoa C, Pasdeloup T, Chapon C, Fauchère JL, Robert R. Failure of pristinamycin treatment in a case of pneumococcal pneumonia. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 1995;14:341–2.
Page created: December 15, 2010
Page updated: December 15, 2010
Page reviewed: December 15, 2010
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.