Volume 5, Number 3—June 1999
Use of Antimicrobial Growth Promoters in Food Animals and Enterococcus faecium Resistance to Therapeutic Antimicrobial Drugs in Europe
- Edmond MB, Ober JF, Weinbaum DL, Pfaller MA, Hwang T, Sanford MD, Vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium bacteremia: risk factors for infection. Clin Infect Dis. 1995;20:1126–33.
- Leclerq R, Derlot E, Duval J, Courvalin P. Plasmid mediated resistance to vancomycin and teicoplanin in Enterococccus faecium. N Engl J Med. 1988;319:157–61.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Summary of Notifiable Diseases—United States, 1997. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1998;46:1–87.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Recommendations for preventing the spread of vancomycin resistance. Recommendations of the Hospital Infection Control Practices Advisory Committee (HICPAC). MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1995;44:RR12.
- House of Lords Select Committee on Science and Technology. Resistance to antibiotics and other antimicrobial agents. 1998. London: The Stationary Office; 1998.
- Bates J, Jordens J, Griffith DT. Farm animals as a putative reservoir for vancomycin resistant enterococcal infections in man. J Antimicrob Chemother. 1994;34:507–16.
- Klare I, Heier H, Claus H, Reissbrodt R, Van Witte W. A-mediated high-level glycopeptide resistance in Enterococcus faecium from animal husbandry. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1995;125:165–72.
- Jensen BB. The impact of feed additives on the microbial ecology of young pigs. J Anim Feed Sci. 1998;7:45–64.
- McDonald CL, Kuehnert MJ, Tenover FC, Jarvis WR. Vancomycin-resistant enterococci outside the health care setting: prevalence, sources, and public health. Emerg Infect Dis. 1997;3:311–7.
- Wegener HC. Historical usage of glycopeptides for animals and humans—the American/European paradox revisited. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1998;42:3049.
- Witte W. Medical consequences of antibiotic use in agriculture. Science. 1998;279:996–7.
- Kirst HA, Thompson DG, Nicas TI. Historical yearly usage of vancomycin [letter]. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1998;42:1303–4.
- Aarestrup FM. Occurrence of glycopeptide resistance among Enterococcus faecium isolates from ecological and conventional poultry farms. Microb Drug Resist. 1995;1:255–7.
- Bager F, Madsen M, Christensen J, Aarestrup FM. Avoparcin used as a growth promoter is associated with the occurrence of vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium on Danish poultry and pig farms. Prev Vet Med. 1997;31:95–112.
- Devriese LA, Ieven M, Goosens H, Vandamme P, Pot B, Hommez J, Presence of vancomycin-resistant enterococci in farm and pet animals. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1996;40:2285–7.
- Tast E, Myllys V, Honkanen-Buzalski T. A survey of resistance to some antimicrobials of enterococcal and E. coli strains isolated from pigs and broilers in Finland. In: Proceedings of NKVet Symposium on Antibiotic Resistance. 1997 Nov 7-8. Danish Veterinary Association, Sundvolden, Norway. p. 44.
- Boisivon A, Vauchel JC, Cheron M, Gobert A, Leturdu F, Chambreuil G, Vancomycin resistant enterococci (VRE) from food animal sources in France. In: Proceedings of the 97th General Meeting of the American Society of Microbiology; 1997 May 4-8; Miami Beach, Florida. Washington: American Society of Microbiology; 1997.
- van den Bogaard AE, Jensen LB, Stobberingh EE. Vancomycin-resistant enterococci in turkeys and farmers. N Engl J Med. 1997a;337:1558–9.
- Simonsen GS, Haaheim H, Kruse H, Dahl KH, Olsvik Ø, Sundsfjord A. Glycopeptide resistant Enterococci (GRE) at avoparcin-using farms: possible transmission of strains and the vanA gene cluster between chicken and humans. In: Proceedings of NKVet Symposium on Antibiotic Resistance. 1997 Nov 7-8. Danish Veterinary Association, Sundvolden, Norway. p. 41.
- Quednau M, Ahrné S, Molin G. Antibiotic resistant enterococci in Swedish and Danish pork and poultry. In: Proceedings of Symposium on Food Associated Pathogens; 1996 May 6-8; The Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, The Swedish National Committee of Food Science and Technology, and the International Union of Food Science and Technology, Uppsala, Sweden. p. 254.
- Coque TM, Tomayko JF, Ricke SC, Okhuysen PC, Murray B. Vancomycin-resistant enterococci from nosocomial, community and animal sources in the United States. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1996;40:2605–9.
- Thal LA, Chow JW, Mahayni R, Bonilla H, Donabedian SA, Silverman J, Characterization of antimicrobial resistance in enterococci of animal origin. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1996;39:2112–5.
- Wegener HC, Madsen M, Nielsen N, Aarestrup FM. Isolation of vancomycin resistant Enterococcus faecium from food. Int J Food Microbiol. 1997;35:57–66.
- Danish Zoonosis Centre. Consumption of antimicrobial agents and occurrence of antimicrobial resistance in bacteria from food animals, food and humans in Denmark. No. 1, Feb 1997. Copenhagen, Denmark: Danish Integrated Antimicrobial Resistance Monitoring and Research Programme (DANMAP).
- Silverman J, Thal LA, Perri MB, Bostic G, Zervos MJ. Epidemiological evaluation of antimicrobial resistance in community-acquired enterococci. J Clin Microbiol. 1998;36:830–2.
- Van der Auwera P, Pensart N, Korten V, Murray B. Influence of oral glycopeptides on the faecal flora of human volunteers: selection of highly glycopeptide resistant enterococci. J Infect Dis. 1996;173:1129–36.
- Gordts B, Van Landuyt H, Ieven M, Vandamme P, Goossens H. Vancomycin-resistant enterococci colonizing the intestinal tract of hospitalized patients. J Clin Microbiol. 1995;33:2842–6.
- Schouten MA, Voss A, Hoogkamp-Korstanje JAA. VRE and meat. Lancet. 1997;349:1258.
- Ieven M, Vercauteren E, Descheemaeker P, Goosens H. Significant increase in detection of intestinal carriers of glycopeptide resistant enterococci by enrichment cultures [abstract] In: Abstracts of the 37th Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy; September 30, 1997; Toronto, Canada. Abstract D-118.
- Van den Brak N, van Belkum A, van Keulen M, Vliegendhart J, Verbrugh HA, Endtz HP. Molecular characterisation of vancomycin-resistant enterococci from hospitalised patients and poultry products in the Netherlands. J Clin Microbiol. 1998;36:1927–32.
- Arthur M, Courvalin P. Genetics and mechanisms of glycopetide resistance in enterococci. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1993;37:95–112.
- Aarestrup FM, Ahrens P, Madsen M, Pallesen LV, Poulsen RL, Westh H. Glycopeptide susceptibility among Danish Enterococcus faecium and Enterococcus faecalis isolates of animal and human origin and PCR identification of genes within the VanA cluster. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1996;40:1938–40.
- Leclercq R, Derlot E, Weber M, Duval J, Courvalin P. Transferable vancomycin and teicoplanin resistance in Enterococcus faecium. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1989;33:10–5.
- Noble WC, Virani Z, Cree RG. Co-transfer of vancomycin and other resistance genes from Enterococcus faecalis NCTC 12201 to Staphylococcus aureus. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1992;72:195–8.
- Berchieri A. Intestinal colonization of a human subject by vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium. Clin Microbiol Infect. 1999;5:97–100.
- Jensen LB, Ahrens P, Dons L, Jones RN, Hammerum A, Aarestrup FM. Molecular analysis of the Tn1546 from vancomycin resistant enterococci isolated from animals and humans. J Clin Microbiol. 1998;36:437–42.
- Jensen LB. Differences in the occurrence of two base pair variants of Tn1546 from vancomycin-resistant enterococci from humans, pigs and poultry. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1998;42:2463–4.
- Thal L, Donabedian S, Robinson-Dunn B, Chow JW, Dembry L, Clewell DB, Molecular analysis of glycopeptide-resistant Enterococcus faecium isolates collected from Michigan hospitals over a 6-year period. J Clin Microbiol. 1998;36:3303–8.
- Bager F, Aarestrup FM, Madsen M, Wegener HC. Glycopeptide resistance in Enterococcus faecium from broilers following discontinued use of avoparcin. Microb Drug Resist. 1999;5. In press.
- Klare I, Badstübner D, Konstabel C, Böhme G, Claus H, Witte W. Decreased incidence of VanA-type vancomycin-resistant enterococci isolated from poultry meat and from fecal samples of humans in the community after discontinuation of avoparcin usage in animal husbandry. Microb Drug Resist. 1999;5. In press.
- Welton LA, Thal LA, Perri MB, Donabedien S, McMahon J, Chow JW, Antimicrobial resistance in enterococci isolated from turkey flocks fed virginiamycin. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1998;42:705–8.
- Van den Bogaard AE, Mertens P, London NH, Stobberingh EE. High prevalence of vancomycin- and pristinamycin-resistant enterococci in healthy humans and animals in The Netherlands: is the addition of antibiotics to animal feed to blame? Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1997;40:454–6.
- Aarestrup FM, Bager F, Madsen M, Jensen NE, Meyling A, Wegener HC. Surveillance of antimicrobial resistance in bacteria isolated from food animals to growth promoters and related therapeutic agents in Denmark. APMIS. 1998;106:606–22.
- Hammerum AH, Jensen LB, Aarestrup FM. Detection of the SatA gene and transferability of virginiamycin resistance in Enterococcus faecium from food animals. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1998;168:145–51.
- Jakobsen BM, Skou M, Hammerum AM, Jensen LB. In vivo transfer of the satA gene between isogenic strains of Enterococcus faecium in the mammalian gastrointestinal tract. In: Proceedings of the Second World Congress on Anaerobic Bacteria and Infections; 1998 Oct 3-6; Nice, France.
- Aarestrup FM. Association between decreased susceptibility to a new antibiotic for treatment of human diseases; everninomicin (SCH 27899), and resistance to an antibiotic used for growth promotion in animals, avilamycin. Microb Drug Resist. 1998;4:137–41.
- The medical impact of the use of antimicrobials in food animals. Report from a WHO meeting; Berlin, Germany 1997 Oct 13-17. Geneva: World Health Organization; 1997.
- The role of international trade in animals, animal products and feed in the spread of transferable antimicrobial resistance and possible methods for control of the spread of infectious agent resistance factors. In: Proceedings of the 18th Conference of the Office International des Epizooties (OIE) Regional Commission of Europe; 1998 Sep 22-25; Prague, Czech Republic.
- The Copenhagen recommendation. Report from the invitational EU conference on the microbial threat; 1998 Sep 9-10; Copenhagen, Denmark. (Internet address http://www.sum.dk/publika/micro98/index.htm).
- Commission regulation of amending council directive 70/524/EEC concerning additives in feedingstuffs as regards withdrawal of the authorisation of certain antibiotics. Document No.: VI/7767/98. European Commission, Brussels, Belgium.
Page created: December 10, 2010
Page updated: December 10, 2010
Page reviewed: December 10, 2010
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.