Volume 6, Number 5—October 2000
Pertussis Infection in Fully Vaccinated Children in Day-Care Centers, Israel
|Day-Care Center||PCR +||IgM +||IgA +||Culture +||Clinical Pertussis a|
|Child 3||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No b|
|Child 4||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No b|
|Child 5||Yes||Yes||Yes||No||No b|
a Paroxysmal cough > 3 weeks; modified World Health Organization case definition (1).
b Nonspecific cough during 4 weeks of follow-up.
Ig = Immunoglobulin
- WHO meeting on case definition of pertussis: Geneva 10-11 January, 1991. Geneva: World Health Organization, 1991:4-5 (issue no. MIN/EPI/PERT/91.1)
- Cherry JD. The epidemiology of pertussis and pertussis immunization in the United Kingdom and the United States: a comparative study. Curr Probl Pediatr. 1984;14:1–78.
- Jenkinson D. Duration of effectiveness of pertussis vaccine: evidence from 10-year community study. [Clin Res Ed]. BMJ. 1988;296:612–4.
- Christie CD, Marx ML, Marchant CD, Reising SF. The 1993 epidemic of pertussis in Cincinnati: resurgence of disease in a highly immunized population of children. N Engl J Med. 1994;331:16–21.
- Rosenthal S, Strebel P, Cassiday P, Sanden G, Brusuelas K, Wharton M. Pertussis infection in young adults during the 1993 outbreak in Chicago. J Infect Dis. 1995;171:1650–2.
- De Melker HE, Conyn Van Spaendonck MA, Rumke HC, van Wijngaarden JK, Mooi FR, Schellekens JF. Pertussis in the Netherlands: an outbreak despite high levels of immunization with whole-cell vaccine. Emerg Infect Dis. 1997;3:175–8.
- Yaari E, Yafe-Zimerman Y, Scwartz SB, Slater PE, Shvartzman P, Andoren N, Clinical manifestations of Bordetella pertussis infection in immunized children and young adults. Chest. 1999;115:1254–8.
- Aoyama T, Takeuchi Y, Goto A, Iwai H, Murase Y, Iwata T. Pertussis in adults. Am J Dis Child. 1992;146:163–6.
- Cromer BA, Boydos J, Hackell J, Mezzatesta J, Dekker C, Mortimer EA. Unrecognized pertussis infection in adolescents. Am J Dis Child. 1993;147:575–7.
- Nelson JD. The changing of epidemiology of pertussis in young infants: the role of adults as reservoirs of infection. Am J Dis Child. 1978;132:371–3.
- Baron S, Njamkepo E, Grimprel E, Begue P, Desenclos JC, Drucker J, Epidemiology of pertussis in French hospitals in 1993 and 1994: thirty years after a routine vaccination. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1998;17:412–8.
- He Q, Mertsola J, Soini H, Skurnik M, Ruuskanen O, Viljanen MK. Comparison of polymerase chain reaction with culture and enzyme immunoassay for diagnosis of pertussis. J Clin Microbiol. 1993;31:642–5.
- He Q, Mertsola I, Soini H, Viljanen MK. Sensitive and specific polymerase chain reaction assays for detection of Bordetella pertussis in nasopharyngeal specimens. J Pediatr. 1994;124:421–6.
- Lichtinghagen R, Diedrich-Glaubitz R, von Horsten B. Identification of Bordetella pertussis in nasopharyngeal swabs using a polymerase chain reaction: evaluation of detection methods. Eur J Clin Chem Clin Biochem. 1994;32:161–7.
- Fine PEM, Clarkson JA. The recurrence of whooping cough: possible implications for assessment of vaccine efficacy. Lancet. 1982;l:666–9.
- Long SS, Welkon CJ, Clark JL. Widespread silent transmission of pertussis in families: antibody correlates of infection and symptomatology. J Infect Dis. 1990;161:480–6.
- Minh NNTM, He Q, Edelman K, Olander RM, Viljanen MK, Arvilommi H, Cell-mediated immune response to antigens of Bordetella pertussis and protection against pertussis in schoolchildren. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1999;18:366–70.
- Grimprel E, Baron S, Levy-Bruhl D, Garnier JM, N'jamkepo E, Guiso N, Influence of vaccination coverage on pertussis transmission in France. Lancet. 1999;354:1699–700.
Page created: December 17, 2010
Page updated: December 17, 2010
Page reviewed: December 17, 2010
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.