Volume 7, Number 2—April 2001
4th Decennial International Conference on Nosocomial and Healthcare-Associated Infections
Prevention is Primary
Emerging Health Care-Associated Infections in the Geriatric Population
|Category of infection||Rate (no. of infections per 1,000 resident care days)|
|All infections||1.8 to 13.5|
|Urinary tract infections||0.1 to 3.5|
|Respiratory tract infections||0.3 to 4.7|
|Skin and soft tissue infections||0.1 to 2.1|
- Gorse GJ, Thrupp LD, Nudleman KL, Wyle FA. Hawkins, Cesario TC. Bacterial meningitis in the elderly. Arch Intern Med. 1984;144:1603–7.
- Gross PA, Levine JF, LoPresti A, Urdaneta M. Infections in the elderly. In: Wenzel RP, editor. Prevention and control of nosocomial infections. 3rd ed. Baltimore: Williams & Wilkins; 1997. p. 1059-97.
- Crossley KB, Peterson PK. Infections in the elderly. In: Mandell GL, Bennett JE, Dolin R, editors. Principles and practice of infectious diseases. 5th ed. Philadelphia: Churchill Livingstone; 2000. p. 3164-9.
- Strausbaugh LJ, Joseph CJ. Epidemiology and prevention of infections in residents of long term care facilities. In: Mayhall CG, editor. Hospital epidemiology and infection control. 2nd ed. Philadelphia: Lippincott Williams & Wilkins; 1999. p. 1461-82.
- Gravenstein S, Fillit H, Ershler WB. Clinical immunology of aging. In: Tallis R, Fillit H, Brocklehurst JC, editors. Geriatric medicine and gerontology. 5th ed. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone; 1999. p. 109-21.
- Thomas AJ. Nutrition. In: Tallis R, Fillit H, Brocklehurst JC, editors. Geriatric medicine and gerontology. 5th ed. Edinburgh: Churchill Livingstone; 1999. p. 899-912.
- Emori TC, Banerjee SN, Culver DH, Gaynes RP, Horan TC, Edwards JR, Nosocomial infections in elderly patients in the United States, 1986-1990. Am J Med. 1991;91(Suppl 3B):289S–93.
- Gross PA, Rapuano C, Adrignolo A, Shaw B. Nosocomial infections: decade-specific risk. Infect Control. 1983;4:145–7.
- Saviteer SM, Samsa GP, Rutala WA. Nosocomial infections in the elderly--increased risk per hospital day. Am J Med. 1988;84:661–6.
- Caceres VM, Kim DK, Bresee JS, Horan J, Noel JS, Ando T, A viral gastroenteritis outbreak associated with person-to-person spread among hospital staff. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1998;19:162–7.
- Stead WW, Dutt AK. Tuberculosis in elderly persons. Annu Rev Med. 1991;42:267–76.
- Neill MA, Rice SK, Ahmad NV, Flanigan TP. Cryptosporidiosis: an unrecognized cause of diarrhea in elderly hospitalized patients. Clin Infect Dis. 1996;22:168–70.
- Bennett RG. Diarrhea among residents of long-term care facilities. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1993;14:397–404.
- Chen K-T, Chen C-J, Chang P-Y, Morse DL. A nosocomial outbreak of malaria associated with contaminated catheters and contrast medium of a computed tomographic scanner. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1999;20:22–5.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Update: outbreak of influenza A infection--Alaska and the Yukon territory, July-August 1998. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1998;47:685–8.
- Falsey AR, Criddle MM, Kolassa JE, McCann RM, Brower CA, Hall WJ. Evaluation of a handwashing intervention to reduce respiratory illness rates in senior day-care centers. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1999;20:200–2.
- Orr PH, Peeling RW, Fast M, Brunka J, Duckworth H, Harding GKM, Serological study of responses to selected pathogens causing respiratory tract infection in the institutionalized elderly. Clin Infect Dis. 1996;23:1240–5.
- Jackson MM, Fierer J. Infections and infection risk in residents of long-term care facilities: a review of the literature, 1970-1984. Am J Infect Control. 1985;13:63–77.
- Levine W, Smart J, Archer D, Bean N, Tauxe R. Foodborne disease outbreaks in nursing homes, 1975 through 1987. JAMA. 1991;266:2105–9.
- Lenar AJ, Manangan LP, Jarvis AR. Healthcare-associated outbreaks in the 90s: hospital infections Program CDC. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2000;21:138.
- Schwartz B, Ussery XT. Group A streptococcal outbreaks in nursing homes. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1992;13:742–7.
- Layton MC, Calliste SG, Gomez TM, Patton C, Brooks S. A mixed foodborne outbreak with Salmonella heidelberg and Campylobacter jejuni in a nursing home. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1997;18:115–21.
- Loeb M, Simor AE, Mandell L, Krueger P, McArthur M, James M, Two nursing home outbreaks of respiratory infection with Legionella sainthelensi. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1999;47:547–52.
- Strausbaugh LJ, Jacobson C, Yost T. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus in a nursing home and affiliated hospital: a four year perspective. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1993;14:331–6.
- Strausbaugh LJ, Crossley KB, Nurse BA, Thrupp LD; SHEA Long-Term-Care Committee. Antimicrobial resistance in long-term-care facilities. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1996;17:129–40.
- Muder RR, Brennen C, Drenning SD, Sout JE, Wagener MM. Multiply antibiotic-resistant gram-negative bacilli in a long-term-care facility: a case-control study of patient risk factors and prior antibiotic use. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1997;18:809–13.
- Bonilla HF, Zervos MA, Lyons MJ, Bradley SF, Hedderwick SA, Ramsey MA, Colonization with vancomycin-resistant Enterococcus faecium: comparison of a long-term-care unit with an acute care hospital. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1997;18:333–9.
- Brennen C, Wagener MM, Muder RR. Vancomycin-resistant Eneterococcus faecium in a long-term care facility. J Am Geriatr Soc. 1998;46:157–60.
- Nuorti JP, Butler JC, Crutcher JM, Guevara R, Welch D, Holder P, An outbreak of multidrug-resistant pneumococcal pneumonia and bacteremia among unvaccinated nursing home residents. N Engl J Med. 1998;338:1861–8.
- Smith PW, Rusnak PG. Infection prevention and control in the long-term-care facility. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1997;18:831–49.
- Bradley SF; SHEA Long-Term-Care Committee. Prevention of influenza in long-term-care facilities. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1999;20:629–37.
- Nicolle LE, Bentley D, Garibaldi R, Neuhaus E, Smith P; SHEA Long-Term-Care Committee. Antimicrobial use in long-term-care facilities. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1996;17:119–28.
- Goldrick BA. Infection control programs in skilled nursing long-term care facilities. AJIC Am J Infect Control. 1999;27:4–9.
- Ahlbrecht H, Shearen C, Degelau J, Guay DRP. A team approach to infection prevention and control in the nursing home setting. Am J Infect Control. 1999;27:64–70.
- Goldrick BA. Infection control programs in long-term-care facilities: structure and process. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 1999;20:764–9.
Page created: May 10, 2011
Page updated: May 10, 2011
Page reviewed: May 10, 2011
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.