Volume 8, Number 12—December 2002
Antimicrobial Resistance in Streptococcus pneumoniae, Taiwan
|% of nonsusceptible isolates (intermediate/resistant)
|Penicillin||61 (28/33)||56 (43/13)||76 (51/25)||56 (34/22)||58 (50/8)|
|Amoxicillin (-clavulanate)||50 (34/16)||33 (32/1)||22 (12/10)||—|
|Cefuroxime||—||—||67 (16/51)||43 (6/37)||—|
|Ceftriaxone (cefotaxime)||39 (16/23)||13 (11/2)||56 (54/2)||25 (15/10)||33 (29/4)|
|Cefepime||43 (19/24)||—||—||—||42 (21/21)|
|Imipenem||—||15 (13/2)||—||14 (14/0)||21 (21/0)|
|Erythromycin||83 (6/77)||74 (5/69)||—||76 (4/74)||—|
|Azithromycin||—||78 (4/74)||94 (4/90)||78 (6/72)||—|
|Clarithromycin||90 (9/81)||—||95 (6/89)||—||—|
|Trimethoprim- sulfamethoxazole||87 (6/81)||—||65 (33/32)||71 (30/41)||—|
|Quinupristin-dalfopristin||—||—||8 (6/2)||—||42 (38/4)|
aData adopted from reference 6. All isolates were recovered from various clinical specimens (60% of isolates from respiratory secretions and 27% from blood samples) of patients treated at the National Taiwan University Hospital (NTUH).
b Data adopted from references 7. All isolates were recovered from various clinical specimens (36.7% from sputa and 42.3% from sterile sites) of patients treated at 14 major hospitals in Taiwan.
cData adopted from references 8. All isolates were recovered from various clinical specimens, including 86.4% from respiratory secretions and 8.8% from sterile sites (cerebrospinal fluid, blood, ascites and pleural fluid) of patients treated at five teaching hospitals in Taiwan.
dData adopted from reference 9. All isolates were recovered from normally sterile sites (cerebrospinal fluid, blood, ascites and pleural fluid) of patients treated at all major hospitals in Taiwan.
eData adopted from reference 10. All isolates were recovered from various clinical specimens (12 isolates were recovered from non-respiratory secretions) of patients treated at five teaching hospitals in Taiwan.
fCiprofloxacin MIC >4 μg/mL.
- Appelbaum PC. Antimicrobial resistance in Streptococcus pneumoniae: an overview. Clin Infect Dis. 1992;15:77–83.
- Kaplan SL, Mason EO Jr. Management of infections due to antibiotic-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae. Clin Microbiol Rev. 1998;11:628–44.
- Muñoz R, Coffey TC, Daniels M, Dowson CG, Labible G, Casal J, Intercontinental spread of a multiresistant clone of serotype 23F Streptococcus pneumoniae. Clin Infect Dis. 1992;15:112–8.
- Hsueh PR, Chen HM, Lu YC, Wu JJ. Antimicrobial resistance and serotype distribution of Streptococcus pneumoniae strains isolated in southern Taiwan. J Formos Med Assoc. 1996;95:29–36.
- Chiou CC, Liu YC, Huang TS, Hwang WK, Wang JH, Lin HH, Extremely high prevalence of nasopharyngeal carriage of penicillin-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae among children in Kaohsiung, Taiwan. J Clin Microbiol. 1998;36:1933–7.
- Hsueh PR, Teng LJ, Lee LN, Yang PC, Ho SW, Luh KT. Extremely high incidence of macrolide and trimethoprim-sulfamethoxazole resistance among clinical isolates of Streptococcus pneumoniae in Taiwan. J Clin Microbiol. 1999;37:897–901.
- Fung CP, Hu BS, Lee SC, Liu PY, Jang TN, Leu HS, Antimicrobial resistance of Streptococcus pneumoniae isolated in Taiwan:an island-wide surveillance study between 1996 and 1997. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2000;45:49–55.
- Hsueh PR, Liu YC, Shyr JM, Wu TL, Yan JJ, Wu JJ, Multicenter surveillance of antimicrobial resistance of Streptococcus pneumoniae, Haemophilus influenzae, and Moraxella catarrhalis in Taiwan during the 1998–1999 respiratory season. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2000;44:1342–5.
- Siu LK, Chu ML, Ho M, Lee YS, Wang CC. Epidemiology of invasive pneumococcal infection in Taiwan: antibiotic resistance, serogroup distribution, and ribotype analysis. Microb Drug Resist. 2002;8:201–8.
- Hsueh PR, Liu YC, Yang D, Yan JJ, Wu TL, Huang WK, Multicenter surveillance of antimicrobial resistance of major bacterial pathogens in intensive care units in 2000 in Taiwan. Microb Drug Resist. 2001;7:373–82.
- Ho M, McDonald LC, Lauderdale TL, Yeh LL, Chen PC, Shiau YR. Surveillance of antibiotic resistance in Taiwan, 1998. J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 1999;32:239–49.
- Hsueh PR, Liu CY, Luh KT. Current status of antimicrobial resistance in Taiwan. Emerg Infect Dis. 2002;8:132–7.
- Su SC, Huang FY, Liu CP. Prevalence of penicillin-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae at a medical center in Taipei. J Infect Dis Soc ROC. 1996;7:99–105.
- Hsueh PR, Wu JJ, Hsiue TR. Invasive Streptococcus pneumoniae infection associated with rapidly fatal outcome in Taiwan. J Formos Med Assoc. 1996;95:364–71.
- Wu TT, Hsueh PR, Lee LN, Yang PC, Luh KT. Pneumonia caused by penicillin-nonsusceptible Streptococcus pneumoniae: clinical characteristics, prognostic factors, and outcomes. J Formos Med Assoc. 2000;99:18–23.
- Huang FY, Chiu NC, Liu SC. Penicillin-resistant pneumococcal infections in children. J Formos Med Assoc. 1997;96:414–8.
- Lu CY, Lee PI, Hsueh PR, Chang SC, Chiu TF, Lin HC, Penicillin-nonsusceptible Streptococcus pneumoniae infections in children. J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 1999;32:179–86.
- Ma JS, Chen PY, Chi CS, Lin JF, Lau YJ. Invasive Streptococcus pneumoniae infections of children in central Taiwan. J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2000;33:169–75.
- Chiang CJ, Hwang KP, Peng CF, Kuo CS. Antimicrobial resistance and serotype distribution of Streptococcus pneumoniae infections in Kaohsiung from 1996 through 1999. J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2001;34:269–74.
- Fang CT, Hung CC, Chang SC, Hsueh PR, Chang YL, Chen MY, Pulmonary infection in human immunodeficiency virus-infected patients in Taiwan. J Formos Med Assoc. 2000;99:123–7.
- Wang CH, Lin TY. Invasive Haemophilus influenzae disease and purulent meningitis in Taiwan. J Formos Med Assoc. 1996;95:599–604.
- Liu CC, Chen JS, Lin CH, Chen YJ, Huang CC. Bacterial meningitis in infants and children in southern Taiwan: emphasis on Haemophilus influenzae type b infection. J Formos Med Assoc. 1993;92:884–8.
- Chang YC, Huang CC, Wang ST, Liu CC, Tsai JJ. Risk factors analysis for early fatality in children with acute bacterial meningitis. Pediatr Neurol. 1998;18:213–7.
- Fang CT, Chang SC, Hsueh PR, Chen YC, Sau WY, Luh KT. Microbiologic features of adult community-acquired meningitis in Taiwan. J Formos Med Assoc. 2000;99:300–4.
- Li WC, Chiu NC, Hsu CH, Lee KS, Hwang HK, Huang FY. Pathogens in the middle ear effusion of children with persistent otitis media: implications of drug resistance and complications. J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 2001;34:190–4.
- Hsiao KM, Ni SL, Won AM, Lin TY. Penicillin, erythromycin, or chloramphenicol-resistant pneumococcus. Clin Pediatr J. 1986;27:345–51.
- Hsueh PR, Teng LJ, Lee LN, Yang PC, Ho SW, Lue HC, Increased prevalence of erythromycin resistance in streptococci: substantial upsurge in erythromycin-resistant M-phenotype in Streptococcus pyogenes (1979–1998) but not in Streptococcus pneumoniae (1985–1999) in Taiwan. Microb Drug Resist. 2002;8:27–33.
- Hsueh PR, Teng LJ, Wu TL, Ho SW, Luh KT. First clinical isolate of Streptococcus pneumoniae exhibiting high-level resistance to fluoroquinolones in Taiwan. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2001;48:316–7.
- Luh KT, Hsueh PR, Teng LJ, Pan HJ, Chen YC, Lu JJ, Quinupristin-dalfopristin resistance among gram-positive bacteria in Taiwan. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2000;44:3374–80.
- Shi ZY, Enright MC, Wilkinson P, Griffiths D, Spratt BG. Identification of three major clones of multiply antibiotic-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae in Taiwanese hospitals by multilocus sequence typing. J Clin Microbiol. 1998;36:3514–9.
- Hsueh PR, Teng LJ, Lee LN, Yang PC, Ho SW, Luh KT. Dissemination of high-level penicillin-, extended-spectrum cephalosporin-, and erythromycin-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae clones in Taiwan. J Clin Microbiol. 1999;37:221–4.
- Liu PY, Hu BS, Fung CP, Lau YJ, Shi ZY, Lin YH. Molecular epidemiology of penicillin-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae isolated in central Taiwan. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 1998;31:511–5.
- Huang YC, Wong KS, Hsueh PR, Lin TY. Bacteremic pneumonia caused by penicillin-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae in siblings. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1999;18:734–5.
- Chiou CC, McEllistrem MC. Novel penicillin-, cephalosporin-, and macrolide-resistant clones of Streptococcus pneumoniae serotypes 23F and 19F in Taiwan which differ from international epidemic clones. J Clin Microbiol. 2001;39:1144–7.
- Richter SS, Heilmann KP, Coffman SL, Huynh HK, Brueggemann AB, Pfaller MA, The molecular epidemiology of penicillin-resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae in the United States, 1994–2000. Clin Infect Dis. 2002;34:330–9.
- Ip M, Lyon DJ, Yung RWH, Tsang L, Cheng AFB. Introduction of new clones of penicillin-nonsusceptible Streptococcus pneumoniae in Hong Kong. J Clin Microbiol. 2002;40:1522–5.
- Ho PL, Yam WC, Cheung TK, Ng WW, Que TL, Tsang DN, Fluoroquinolone resistance among Streptococcus pneumoniae in Hong Kong linked to the Spanish 23F clone. Emerg Infect Dis. 2001;7:906–8.
- Quale J, Landman D, Ravishankar J, Flores C, Bratu S. Streptococcus pneumoniae, Brooklyn, New York: fluoroquinolone resistance at our doorstep. Emerg Infect Dis. 2002;8:594–7.
- Infectious Diseases Society of the Republic of China. Guidelines for antimicrobial therapy of pneumonia in Taiwan. J Microbiol Immunol Infect. 1999;32:292–4.
- Heffelfinger JD, Dowell SF, Jorgensen JH, Klugman KP, Mabry LR, Musher DM, Management of community-acquired pneumonia in the era of pneumococcal resistance: a report from the Drug-Resistant Streptococcus pneumoniae Therapeutic Working Group. Arch Intern Med. 2000;160:1399–408.
- American Thoracic Society. Guidelines for the management of adults with community-acquired pneumonia: diagnosis, assessment of severity, antimicrobial therapy, and prevention. Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 2001;163:1730–54.
- Bartlett JG, Dowell SF, Mandell LA, File TM Jr, Musher DM, Fine AM. Practice guidelines for the management of community-acquired pneumonia in adults. Clin Infect Dis. 2000;31:347–82.
- Chung ST, Lee JC, Shieh WC. Type distribution of pneumococcal strains in Taiwan. Chin J Microbiol Immunol. 1991;24:196–20.
- Chang SC, Shiu MN, Chen TJ. Antibiotic usage in primary care units in Taiwan after the institution of National Health Insurance. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2001;40:137–43.
- Liu YC, Huang WK, Huang TS, Kunin CM. Extent of antibiotic use in Taiwan shown by antimicrobial activity in urine. Lancet. 1999;354:1360.