Volume 9, Number 6—June 2003
Clinical Implications of Varying Degrees of Vancomycin Susceptilibity in Methicillin-Resistant Staphylococcus aureus Bacteremia1
- Tenover FC, Biddle JW, Lancaster MV. Increasing resistance to vancomycin and other glycopeptides in Staphylococcus aureus. Emerg Infect Dis. 2001;7:327–32.
- Hiramatsu K, Hanaki H, Ino T, Yabuta K, Oguri T, Tenover FC. Methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus clinical strain with reduced vancomycin susceptibility. J Antimicrob Chemother. 1997;40:135–6.
- Oliveira GA, Dell’Aquila AM, Masiero RL, Levy CE, Gomes MS, Cui L, Isolation in Brazil of nosocomial Staphylococcus aureus with reduced susceptibility to vancomycin. Infect Control Hosp Epidemiol. 2001;22:443–8.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Staphylococcus aureus resistant to vancomycin–United States, 2002. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2002;51:565–7.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Public heath dispatch: vancomycin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus—Pennsylvania, 2002. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2002;51:902.
- Hiramatsu K, Aritaka N, Hanaki H, Kawasaki S, Hosoda Y, Hori S, Dissemination in Japanese hospitals of strains of Staphylococcus aureus heterogeneously resistant to vancomycin. Lancet. 1997;350:1670–3.
- Fridkin SK. Vancomycin-intermediate and –resistant Staphylococcus aureus: what the infectious disease specialist needs to know. Clin Infect Dis. 2001;32:108–15.
- Ariza J, Pujol M, Cabo J, Pena C, Fernandez N, Linares J, Vancomycin in surgical infections due to meticillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus with heterogeneous resistance to vancomycin. Lancet. 1999;353:1587–8.
- Geisel R, Schmitz FJ, Thomas L, Berns G, Zetsche O, Ulrich B, Emergence of heterogeneous intermediate vancomycin resistance in Staphylococcus aureus isolates in the Düsseldorf area. J Antimicrob Chemother. 1999;43:846–8.
- Marchese A, Balistreri G, Tonoli E, Debbia EA, Schito GC. Heterogeneous vancomycin resistance in methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains isolated in a large Italian hospital. J Clin Microbiol. 2000;38:866–9.
- Chesneau O, Morvan A, El Solh N. Retrospective screening for heterogeneous vancomycin resistance in diverse Staphylococcus aureus clones disseminated in French hospitals. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2000;45:887–90.
- Bobin-Dubreux S, Reverdy ME, Nervi C, Rougier M, Bolmström A, Vandenesch F, Clinical isolate of vancomycin-heterointermediate Staphylococcus aureus susceptible to methicillin and in vitro selection of a vancomycin-resistant derivative. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2001;45:349–52.
- Wong SSY, Ho PL, Woo PCY, Yuen KY. Bacteria caused by staphylococci with inducible vancomycin heteroresistance. Clin Infect Dis. 1999;29:760–7.
- Howe RA, Bowker KE, Walsh TR, Feest TG, MacGowan AP. Vancomycin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Lancet. 1998;351:602.
- Hubert SK, Mohammed JM, Fridkin SK, Gaynes RP, McGowan JE Jr, Tenover FC. Glycopeptide-intermediate Staphylococcus aureus: evaluation of a novel screening method and results of a survey of selected U.S. hospitals. J Clin Microbiol. 1999;37:3590–3.
- Tallent SM, Bischoff T, Climo M, Ostrowsky B, Wenzel RP, Edmond MB. Vancomycin susceptibility of oxacillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus isolates causing nosocomial bloodstream infections. J Clin Microbiol. 2002;40:2249–50.
- National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards. Methods for dilution antimicrobial susceptibility tests for bacteria that grow aerobically, 5th edition: approved standard M7-A5. Villanova (PA): National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Standards, 2000.
- Sugino Y, Iinumab Y, Ichiyama S, Ito Y, Ohkawa S, Nakashima N, In vivo development of decreased susceptibility to vancomycin in clinical isolates of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus. Diagn Microbiol Infect Dis. 2000;38:159–67.
- Sieradzki K, Roberts RB, Haber SW, Tomasz A. The development of vancomycin resistance in a patient with methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus infection. N Engl J Med. 1999;340:517–23.
- Lauderdale TL, Chapin KC, Murray PR. Reagents. In: Murray PR, Baron IJ, Pfaller MA, Tenover FC, Yolken RH, editors. Manual of clinical microbiology, 7th edition. Washington: American Society for Microibology; 1999. p. 1665–73.
- Tenover FC, Arbeit RD, Goering FV, Mickelsen PA, Murray BE, Persing DH, Interpreting chromosomal DNA restriction patterns produced by pulsed-field gel electrophoresis: criteria for bacterial strain typing. J Clin Microbiol. 1995;33:2233–9.
- Maslow J, Slutsky AM, Arbeit RD. The application of pulsed-field gel electrophoresis to molecular epidemiology. In: Persing DH, Smith TF, Tenover FC, White TJ, editors. Diagnostic molecular microbiology: principles and applications. Washington: American Society for Microbiology; 1993. p. 563–72.
- McCabeW. Jackson G. Gram-negative bacteremia. Arch Intern Med. 1962;110:847–55.
- Ploy MC, Grélaud C, Martin C, de Lumley L, Denis F. First clinical isolate of vancomycin-intermediate Staphylococcus aureus in a French hospital. Lancet. 1998;351:1212.
- Bierbaum G, Fuchs K, Lenz W, Szekat C, Sahl HG. Presence of Staphylococcus aureus with reduced susceptibility to vancomycin in Germany. Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 1999;18:691–6.
- Smith TL, Pearson ML, Wilcox KR, Cruz C, Lancaster MV, Robinson-Dunn B, Emergence of vancomycin resistance in Staphylococcus aureus. N Engl J Med. 1999;340:493–501.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Interim guidelines for prevention and control of staphylococcal infection associated with reduced susceptibility to vancomycin. MMWR Morbid Mortal Wkly Rep 1997;46:626–8,635–6.
- Chadwick PR, Wooster SL. Glycopeptide resistance in Staphylococcus aureus. J Infect. 2000;40:211–7.
- Howe RA, Wootton M, Walsh TR, Bennett PM, MacGowan AP. Heterogeneous resistance to vancomycin in Staphylococcus aureus. J Antimicrob Chemother. 2000;45:130–1.
- Hanaki H, Inaba Y, Sasaki K, Hiramatsu K. [A novel method of detecting Staphylococcus aureus heterogeneously resistant to vancomycin (hetero-VRSA)] (article in Japanese). Jpn J Antibiot. 1998;51:521–30.
- Pfeltz RF, Singh VK, Schmidt JL, Batten MA, Baranyk CS, Nadakavukaren MJ, Characterization of passage-selected vancomycin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus strains of diverse parental backgrounds. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2000;44:294–303.
- Hiramatsu K. Vancomycin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: a new model of antibiotic resistance. Lancet Infect Dis. 2001;1:147–55.
- Cimolai N. Are all MRSA made equal? Can J Microbiol. 2002;48:560–6.
- Burnie J, Matthews R, Jiman-Fatami A, Gottardello P, Hodgetts S, D’arcy S. Analysis of 42 cases of septicemia caused by an epidemic strain of methicillin-resistant Staphylococcus aureus: evidence of resistance to vancomycin. Clin Infect Dis. 2000;31:684–9.
1Presented in part at the 41st Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy, Chicago, Illinois, December 2001.
Page created: December 22, 2010
Page updated: May 30, 2012
Page reviewed: May 30, 2012
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.