Volume 9, Number 7—July 2003
Antimicrobial Resistance Markers of Class 1 and Class 2 Integron-bearing Escherichia coli from Irrigation Water and Sediments
|integ-1||5'-GGCATCCAAGCAAG-3'||5'-Class 1 integron variable region||Levesque et al. 1995 (13)|
|integ-2||5'-AAGCAGACTTGACCTGA-3'||3'-Class 1 integron variable region||Levesque et al. 1995 (13)|
|hep51||5'-GATGCCATCGCAAGTACGAG-3'||5'-Class 2 integron variable region||White et al. 2001 (14)|
|hep74||5'-CGG GATCCCGGACGGCATGCACGATTT GTA-3'||3'-Class 2 integron variable region||White et al. 2001 (14)|
|intI1.F||5'-GGGTCAAGGATCTGGATTTCG-3'||5'-intI1 gene||Mazel et al. 2000 (15)|
|intI1.R||5'-ACATGGGTGTAAATCATCGTC-3'||3'-intI1 gene||Mazel et.al. 2000 (15)|
|intI2.F||5'-CACGGATATGCGACAAAAAGGT-3'||5'-intI2 gene||Mazel et al. 2000 (15)|
|intI2.R||5'-GTAGCAAACGAGTGACGAAATG-3'||5'-intI2 gene||Mazel et al. 2000 (15)|
- Ochman H, Lawrence JG, Groisman EA. Lateral gene transfer and the nature of bacterial innovation. Nature. 2000;405:299–304.
- Lucey B, Crowley D, Moloney P, Cryan B, Daly M, O’Halloran F, Integronlike structures in Campylobacter spp. of human and animal origin. Emerg Infect Dis. 2000;6:50–5.
- Zhao S, White DG, Ge B, Ayers S, Friedman S, English L, Identification and characterization of integron-mediated antibiotic resistance among Shiga toxin–producing Escherichia coli isolates. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2001;67:1558–64.
- Briggs CE, Fratamico PM. Molecular characterization of an antibiotic resistance gene cluster of Salmonella typhimurium DT104. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1999;43:846–9.
- Mroz RC Jr, Pillai SD. Bacterial populations in the groundwater on the US-Mexico border in El Paso County, Texas. South Med J. 1994;87:214–7.
- Pillai SD, Widmer KW, Maciorowski KG, Ricke SC. Antibiotic resistance profiles of Escherichia coli isolated from rural and urban environments. J Environ Sci Health. 1997;32:1665–75.
- International Boundary and Water Commission. Water Bulletin #63: Flow of the Rio Grande and related data. El Paso (TX): The Commission; 1993. p. 132.
- Scandura JE, Sobsey MD. Viral and bacterial contamination of groundwater from on-site sewage treatment systems. Water Sci Technol. 1997;35:141–6.
- Rayburn EL, Sternes KL, Weidenfeld RP, Pillai SD. Microbial pathogens in irrigation canals and associated sediments. In: Proceedings of the 101st General Meeting of the American Society for Microbiology. 2001. Orlando (FL): American Society for Microbiology; 2001.
- Food and Drug Administration. Bacteriological analytical manual online. 8th ed. 2001. Available from: URL: http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~ebam/bam-toc.html
- National Committee for Clinical Laboratory Studies. Methods for dilution antimicrobial susceptibility tests for bacteria that grow aerobically. Vol. 10. Villanova (PA): The Committee; 1999. p. 33.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention/Food and Drug Administration; U.S. Department of Agriculture. National Antibiotic Resistance Monitoring System. Atlanta: The Centers; 1999.
- Levesque C, Piche L, Larose C, Roy PH. PCR mapping of integrons reveals several novel combinations of resistance genes. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1995;39:185–91.
- White PA, McIver CJ, Rawlinson WD. Integrons and gene cassettes in the enterobacteriaceae. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2001;45:2658–61.
- Mazel D, Dychinco B, Webb VA, Davies J. Antibiotic resistance in the ECOR collection: integrons and identification of a novel aad gene. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 2000;44:1568–74.
- Huang X, Madan A. CAP3: a DNA sequence assembly program. Genome Res. 1999;9:868–77.
- Altschul SF, Gish W, Miller W, Myers EW, Lipman DJ. Basic local alignment search tool. J Mol Biol. 1990;215:403–10.
- Thompson JD, Higgins DG, Gibson TJ. CLUSTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Res. 1994;22:4673–80.
- Ash RJ. Antibiotic resistance of gram-negative bacteria in rivers, United States. Emerg Infect Dis. 2002;8:713–6.
- Goni-Urriza M, Capdepuy M, Arpin C, Raymond N, Caumette P, Quentin C, Impact of an urban effluent on antibiotic resistance of riverine Enterobacteriaceae and Aeromonas spp. Appl Environ Microbiol. 2000;66:125–32.
- American Academy of Microbiology. Antimicrobial resistance: an ecological perspective. Washington: American Society for Microbiology; 1999. p. 1–14.
- Wegener HC, Aarestrup FM, Jensen LB, Hammerum AM, Bager F. Use of antimicrobial growth promoters in food animals and Enterococcus faecium resistance to therapeutic antimicrobial drugs in Europe. Emerg Infect Dis. 1999;5:329–35.
- Hall RM, Collis CM. Antibiotic resistance in gram-negative bacteria: the role of gene cassettes and integrons. Drug Resist Updat. 1998;1:109–19.
- Bass L, Liebert CA, Lee MD, Summers AO, White DG, Thayer SG, Incidence and characterization of integrons, genetic elements mediating multiple-drug resistance, in avian Escherichia coli. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1999;43:2925–9.
- Cech I, Essman A. Water sanitation practices on the Texas-Mexico border: implications for physicians on both sides. South Med J. 1992;85:1053–64.
- McEwen SA, Fedorka-Cray PJ. Antimicrobial use and resistance in animals. Clin Infect Dis. 2002;34(Suppl 3):S93–106.
- Schwarz S, Chaslus-Dancla E. Use of antimicrobials in veterinary medicine and mechanisms of resistance. Vet Res. 2001;32:201–25.
- Texas Water Development Board, New Mexico Water Resources Research Institute. Transboundary aquifers of the El Paso/Ciudad Juarez/Las Cruces region. El Paso (TX): The Institute; 1997. p. 152.
- Simpson JM, Santo Domingo JW, Reasoner DJ. Microbial source tracking: state of the science. Environ Sci Technol. 2002;36:5279–88.
- Rosser SJ, Young HK. Identification and characterization of class 1 integrons in bacteria from an aquatic environment. J Antimicrob Chemother. 1999;44:11–8.
- Sundstrom L, Radstrom P, Swedberg G, Skold O. Site-specific recombination promotes linkage between trimethoprim- and sulfonamide-resistance genes. Sequence characterization of dhfrV and sulI and a recombination active locus of Tn21. Mol Gen Genet. 1988;213:191–201.
- Pillai SD, Pepper IL. Transposon Tn5 as an identifiable marker in Rhizobia: survival and genetic stability of Tn5 mutant bean Rhizobia under temperature stressed conditions in desert soils. Microb Ecol. 1990;21:21–33.
- Sundstrom L, Roy PH, Skold O. Site-specific insertion of three structural gene cassettes in transposon Tn7. J Bacteriol. 1991;173:3025–8.
- Hansson K, Sundstrom L, Pelletier A, Roy PH. IntI2 integron integrase in Tn7. J Bacteriol. 2002;184:1712–21.
- Huovinen P, Sundstrom L, Swedberg G, Skold O. Trimethoprim and sulfonamide resistance. Antimicrob Agents Chemother. 1995;39:279–89.
Page created: December 22, 2010
Page updated: December 22, 2010
Page reviewed: December 22, 2010
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.