Volume 10, Number 11—November 2004
ICEID & ICWID 2004
International Conference on Women and Infectious Diseases (ICWID)
Vaccines for Women Age 50 and Older
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prevention and control of influenza. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2004;53:1–40.
- Thompson WW, Shay DK, Weintraub E, Brammer L, Cox N, Anderson LJ, Mortality associated with influenza and respiratory syncytial virus in the United States. JAMA. 2003;289:179–86.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Prevention of pneumococcal disease: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR Recomm Rep. 1997;46(RR-8):1–24.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Hepatitis B virus: a comprehension strategy for eliminating transmission in the United States through universal childhood vaccination; recommendations of the Immunization practices Advisory Committee (ACIP). MMWR Recomm Rep. 1991;40(RR-13):1–25.
- Effros RB. Problems and solutions to the development of vaccines in the elderly. Immunol Allergy Clin North Am. 2003;23:41–55.
- Fujihashi K, Koga T, McGhee JR. Mucosal vaccination and immune responses in the elderly. Vaccine. 2000;18:1675–80.
- LeMaoult J, Szabo P, Weksler ME. Effect of age on humoral immunity, selection of the B-cell repertoire and B-cell development. Immunol Rev. 1997;160:115–26.
- Averhoff F, Mahoney F, Coleman P, Schatz G, Hurwitz E, Margolis H, Immunogenicity of hepatitis B vaccines: implications for persons at occupational risk of hepatitis B virus infection. Am J Prev Med. 1998;15:1–8.
- Hollinger FB, Hollinger FB. Factors influencing the immune response to hepatitis B vaccine, booster dose guidelines, and vaccine protocol recommendations. Am J Med. 1989;87:36s–40s.
- Gilden D. Herpes zoster with postherpetic neuralgia-persisting pain and frustration. N Engl J Med. 1994;330:932–4.
- Levin M, Murray M, Rotbart H, Zerbe GO, White CJ, Hayward AR. Immune response of elderly individuals to a live attenuated varicella vaccine. J Infect Dis. 1992;166:253–9.
- Recommended adult immunization schedule—United States, 2003–2004. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2003;52:965–9.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Assessing adult vaccination status at age 50 years [notice to readers]. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1995;44:561–3.
- Patrarca PA, Weber JA, Parker RA, Hall WN, Kendal AP, Bregman DJ, Efficacy of influenza vaccine in nursing homes reduction in illness and complications during an influenza A (H3N2) epidemic. JAMA. 1985;253:1136–9.
- Arden NH, Patriarca PA, Kendal AP. Experiences in the use and efficacy of inactivated influenza vaccine in nursing homes. Presented at Options for the Control of Influenza 1986;155–68.
- Monto AS, Hornbuckle K, Ohmit SE. Influenza vaccine effectiveness among elderly nursing home residents: a cohort study. Am J Epidemiol. 2001;154:155–60.
- Nichol KL, Nordin J, Mullooly J, Lask R, Fillbrandt K, Iwane M, Influenza vaccination and reduction in hospitalizations for cardiac disease and stroke among the elderly. N Engl J Med. 2003;348:1322–32.
- Potter J, Stott DJ, Roberts MA, Elder AG, O’Donnell B, Knight PV, Influenza vaccination of health care workers in long-term-care hospitals reduces the mortality of elderly patients. J Infect Dis. 1997;175:1–6.
- Carman WF, Elder AG, Wallace LA, McAulay K, Walker A, Murray GD, Effects of influenza vaccination of health-care workers on mortality of elderly people in long term care: a randomised controlled trial. Lancet. 2000;355:93–7.
- Using live, attenuated influenza vaccine for prevention and control of influenza: supplemental recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR Recomm Rep. 2003;52(RR-13):1–8.
- Marrie TJ, Durant H, Yates L. Community-acquired pneumonia requiring hospitalization: 5-year prospective study. Rev Infect Dis. 1989;11:586–99.
- Feikin DR, Schuchat A, Kolczak M, Barrett NL, Harrison LH, Lefkowitz L, Mortality from invasive pneumococcal pneumonia in the era of antibiotic resistance, 1995–1997. Am J Public Health. 2000;90:223–9.
- Jackson LA, Neuzil KM, Yu O, Benson P, Barlow WE, Adams AL, Effectiveness of pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine in older adults. N Engl J Med. 2003;348:1747–55.
- Koivula I, Sten M, Leinonen M, Makela PH. Clinical efficacy of pneumococcal vaccine in the elderly a randomized, single-blind population-based trial. Am J Med. 1997;103:281–90.
- Christenson B, Lundbergh P, Hedlund J, Ortqvist A. Effects of a large-scale intervention with Influenza and 23-valent pneumococcal vaccines in adults aged 65 years or older: a prospective study. Lancet. 2001;357:1008–11.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Influenza and pneumococcal vaccination levels among persons aged >65 years—United States, 2001. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2002;51:1019–24.
- Jackson LA, Benson P, Sneller VP, Butler JC, Thompson RS, Chen RT, Safety of revaccination with pneumococcal polysaccharide vaccine. JAMA. 1999;281:243–8.
- Nuorti JP, Butler JC, Farley MM, Harrison LH, McGeer A, Kolczak MS, Cigarette smoking and invasive pneumococcal disease. Active Bacterial Core Surveillance Team. N Engl J Med. 2000;342:681–9.
- Sisk JE, Whang W, Butler JC, Sneller VP, Whitney CG. Cost-effectiveness of vaccination against invasive pneumococcal disease among people 50 through 65 years of age: role of comorbid conditions and race. Ann Intern Med. 2003;138:960–8.
- Gardner P. A need to update and revise the pneumococcal vaccine recommendations for adults. Ann Intern Med. 2003;138:999–1000.
- Whitney CG, Farley MM, Hadler J, Harrison LH, Bennett NM, Lynfield R, Decline in invasive pneumococcal disease after the introduction of protein-polysaccharider conjugate vaccine. N Engl J Med. 2003;348:1737–46.
- Centers for Disease Control. Diphtheria, tetanus, and pertussis: recommendations for vaccine use and other preventive measures: recommendations of the Immunization Practices Advisory Committee (ACIP). MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1991;40(RR-10):1–28.
- Balestra DJ, Littenberg B. Should adult tetanus immunization be given as a single vaccination at age 65? A cost-effectiveness analysis. J Gen Intern Med. 1993;8:405–12.
- Gardner P. Issues related to the decennial tetanus-diphtheria toxoid booster recommendations in adults. In: Infectious disease clinics of North America. Vaccine recommendations: challenges and controversies. Volume 15. Philadelphia: WB Saunders; 2001. p. 143–53.
- Martin M, Tsai TF, Cropp B, Chang GJ, Holmes DA, Tseng J, Fever and multisystem organ failure associated with 17D-204 yellow fever vaccination: a report of four cases. Lancet. 2001;358:98–104.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Health information for international travel, 2003–2004. Yellow book. Atlanta: U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, Public Health Services; 2003.
Page created: May 04, 2011
Page updated: May 04, 2011
Page reviewed: May 04, 2011
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.