Volume 12, Number 4—April 2006
Economic Impact of Lyme Disease
- Steere AC, Malawista SE, Snydman DR, Shope RE, Andiman WA, Ross MR, Lyme arthritis: an epidemic of oligoarticular arthritis in children and adults in three Connecticut communities. Arthritis Rheum. 1977;20:7–17. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Bujak DI, Weinstein A, Dornbush RL. Clinical and neurocognitive features of the post Lyme syndrome. J Rheumatol. 1996;23:1392–7.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Shadick NA, Phillips CB, Logigian EL, Steere AC, Kaplan RF, Berardi VP, The long-term clinical outcomes of Lyme disease. A population-based retrospective cohort study. Ann Intern Med. 1994;121:560–7.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Johnson BJ, Robbins KE, Bailey RE, Cao BL, Sviat SL, Craven RB, Serodiagnosis of Lyme disease: accuracy of a two-step approach using a flagella-based ELISA and immunoblotting. J Infect Dis. 1996;174:346–53. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Dressler F, Whalen JA, Reinhardt BN, Steere AC. Western blotting in the serodiagnosis of Lyme disease. J Infect Dis. 1993;167:392–400. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Tugwell P, Dennis DT, Weinstein A, Wells G, Shea B, Nichol G, Laboratory evaluation in the diagnosis of Lyme disease. Ann Intern Med. 1997;127:1109–23.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Steere AC, Levin RE, Molloy PJ, Kalish RA, Abraham JH III, Liu NY, Treatment of Lyme arthritis. Arthritis Rheum. 1994;37:878–88. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Wormser GP, Nadelman RB, Dattwyler RJ, Dennis DT, Shapiro ED, Steere AC, Practice guidelines for the treatment of Lyme disease. The Infectious Diseases Society of America. Clin Infect Dis. 2000;31(Suppl 1):S1–14. DOIGoogle Scholar
- Benenson AS. Control of communicable diseases manual. 16th ed. Washington: American Public Health Association; 1995.
- Hayes EB, Maupin GO, Mount GA, Piesman J. Assessing the prevention effectiveness of local Lyme disease control. J Public Health Manag Pract. 1999;5:84–92.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Recommendations for the use of Lyme disease vaccine: recommendations of the Advisory Committee on Immunization Practices (ACIP). MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1999;48(RR-7):1–17, 21–5.
- Malawista SE. Lyme disease. In: Goldman L, Bennett JC, editors. Cecil textbook of medicine. 21st ed. Philadelphia: W.B. Saunders Company; 2000. p. 1757–61.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Lyme disease—United States, 2000. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2002;51:29–31.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Notice to readers: final 2002 reports of notifiable diseases. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 2003;52:741–50.
- Maes E, Lecomte P, Ray N. A cost-of-illness study of Lyme disease in the United States. Clin Ther. 1998;20:993–1008. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Case definitions for infectious conditions under public health surveillance. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1997;46(RR-10):20–1.
- US Department of Labor. Consumer price index. [cited 2004 June 16]. Available from http://www.bls.gov/cpi/home.htm
- Haddix AC, Teutsch SM, Corso PS, eds. Prevention effectiveness: a guide to decision analysis and economic evaluation. 2nd ed. New York: Oxford University Press; 2003. p. 70–1.
- Fix AD, Strickland GT, Grant J. Tick bites and Lyme disease in an endemic setting: problematic use of serologic testing and prophylactic antibiotic therapy. JAMA. 1998;279:206–10. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Strickland GT, Karp AC, Mathews A, Peña CA. Utilization and cost of serologic tests for Lyme disease in Maryland. J Infect Dis. 1997;176:819–21. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Meek JI, Roberts CL, Smith EV Jr, Cartter ML. Underreporting of Lyme disease by Connecticut physicians, 1992. J Public Health Manag Pract. 1996;2:61–5.PubMedGoogle Scholar
- Barbour AG, Fish D. The biological and social phenomenon of Lyme disease. Science. 1993;260:1610–6. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Steere AC, Sikand VK, Schoen RT, Nowakowski J. Asymptomatic infection with Borrelia burgdorferi. Clin Infect Dis. 2003;37:528–32. DOIPubMedGoogle Scholar
- Steere AC, Coburn J, Glickstein L. The emergence of Lyme disease [review]. J Clin Invest. 2004;113:1093–101.PubMedGoogle Scholar
1Current affiliation: Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene, Baltimore, Maryland, USA