Volume 13, Number 11—November 2007
Epidemiologic and Virologic Investigation of Hand, Foot, and Mouth Disease, Southern Vietnam, 2005
- Grist NR, Bell EJ, Assaad F. Enteroviruses in human disease. Prog Med Virol. 1978;24:114–57.
- Stanway G, Brown F, Christian P, Hovi T, Hyypia T, King AMQ, Family Picornaviridae. In: Fauquet CM, Mayo MA, Maniloff J, Desselberger U, Ball LA, editors. Virus taxonomy: eighth report of the International Committee on Taxonomy of Viruses. San Diego: Elsevier Academic Press; 2005. p. 757–78.
- Brown BA, Pallansch MA. Complete nucleotide sequence of enterovirus 71 is distinct from poliovirus. Virus Res. 1995;39:195–205.
- McMinn PC. An overview of the evolution of enterovirus 71 and its clinical and public health significance. FEMS Microbiol Rev. 2002;26:91–107.
- Schmidt NJ, Lennette EH, Ho HH. An apparently new enterovirus isolated from patients with disease of the central nervous system. J Infect Dis. 1974;129:304–9.
- Cardosa MJ, Perera D, Brown BA, Cheon D, Chan HM, Chan KP, Molecular epidemiology of human enterovirus 71 strains and recent outbreaks in the Asia-Pacific region: comparative analysis of the VP1 and VP4 genes. Emerg Infect Dis. 2003;9:461–8.
- Chan LG, Parashar UD, Lye MS, Ong FG, Zaki SR, Alexander JP, Deaths of children during an outbreak of hand, foot, and mouth disease in Sarawak, Malaysia: clinical and pathological characteristics of the disease. Clin Infect Dis. 2000;31:678–83.
- Ho M, Chen ER, Hsu KH, Twu SJ, Chen KT, Tsai SF, An epidemic of enterovirus 71 infection in Taiwan. N Engl J Med. 1999;341:929–35.
- McMinn P, Lindsay K, Perera D, Chan HM, Chan KP, Cardosa MJ. Phylogenetic analysis of enterovirus 71 strains isolated during linked epidemics in Malaysia, Singapore, and Western Australia. J Virol. 2001;75:7732–8.
- Nolan MA, Craig ME, Lahra MM, Rawlinson WD, Prager PC, Williams GD, Survival after pulmonary edema due to enterovirus 71 encephalitis. Neurology. 2003;60:1651–6.
- Herrero LJ, Lee CS, Hurrelbrink RJ, Chua BH, Chua KB, McMinn PC. Molecular epidemiology of enterovirus 71 in peninsular Malaysia, 1997–2000. Arch Virol. 2003;148:1369–85.
- Tagaya I, Tachibana K. Epidemic of hand, foot and mouth disease in Japan, 1972–1973: difference in epidemiologic and virologic features from the previous one. Jpn J Med Sci Biol. 1975;28:231–4.
- Li L, He Y, Yang H, Zhu J, Xu X, Dong J, Genetic characteristics of human enterovirus 71 and Coxsackievirus A16 circulating from 1999 to 2004 in Shenzhen, People’s Republic of China. J Clin Microbiol. 2005;43:3835–9.
- Kennett ML, Birch CJ, Lewis FA, Yung AP, Locarnini SA, Gust ID. Enterovirus type 71 infection in Melbourne. Bull World Health Organ. 1974;51:609–15.
- Gilbert GL, Dickson KE, Waters MJ, Kennett ML, Land SA, Sneddon M. Outbreak of enterovirus 71 infection in Victoria, Australia, with a high incidence of neurologic involvement. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 1988;7:484–8.
- McMinn P, Stratov I, Nagarajan L, Davis S. Neurological manifestations of enterovirus 71 infection in children during an outbreak of hand, foot, and mouth disease in Western Australia. Clin Infect Dis. 2001;32:236–42.
- Lin TY, Twu SJ, Ho MS, Chang LY, Lee CY. Enterovirus 71 outbreaks, Taiwan: occurrence and recognition. Emerg Infect Dis. 2003;9:291–3.
- Wu TN, Tsai SF, Li SF, Lee TF, Huang TM, Wang ML, Sentinel surveillance for enterovirus 71, Taiwan, 1998. Emerg Infect Dis. 1999;5:458–60.
- Romero JR, Rotbart HA. PCR detection of human enterovirus. In: Persing DH, Smith TF, Tenover FC, White TJ, editors. Diagnostic molecular microbiology: principles and applications. Washington: ASM Press; 1993. p. 401–6.
- Ishiko H, Shimada Y, Yonaha M, Hashimoto O, Hayashi A, Sakae K, Molecular diagnosis of human enteroviruses by phylogeny-based classification by use of the VP4 sequence. J Infect Dis. 2002;185:744–54.
- Brown BA, Kilpatrick DR, Oberste MS, Pallansch MA. Serotype-specific identification of enterovirus 71 by PCR. J Clin Virol. 2000;16:107–12.
- Perera D, Podin Y, Akin W, Tan WS, Cardosa MJ. Incorrect identification of recent Asian strains of Coxsackievirus A16 as human enterovirus 71: improved primers for the specific detection of human enterovirus 71 by RT-PCR. BMC Infect Dis. 2004;4:11.
- Oberste MS, Nix WA, Maher K, Pallansch MA. Improved molecular identification of enteroviruses by RT-PCR and amplicon sequencing. J Clin Virol. 2003;26:375–7.
- Brown BA, Oberste MS, Alexander JP, Kennett ML, Pallansch MA. Molecular epidemiology and evolution of enterovirus 71 strains isolated from 1970 to 1998. J Virol. 1999;73:9969–75.
- Thompson JD, Higgins GD, Gibson TJ. CLUSTAL W: improving the sensitivity of progressive multiple sequence alignment through sequence weighting, position-specific gap penalties and weight matrix choice. Nucleic Acids Res. 1994;22:4673–80.
- Felsenstein J. PHYLIP—phylogeny inference package (version 3.5). Cladistics. 1989;5:164–6.
- Page RD. TreeView: an application to display phylogenetic trees on personal computers. Comput Appl Biosci. 1996;12:357–8.
- Genetics Computer Group. Program manual for the Wisconsin GCG package, 8.0 1994 edition. Madison (WI): Genetics Computer Group; 1994.
- Pöyry T, Hyypiä T, Horsnell C, Kinnunen L, Hovi T, Stanway G. Molecular analysis of Coxsackievirus A16 reveals a new genetic group of enteroviruses. Virology. 1994;202:982–7.
- Wang SM, Liu CC, Tseng HW, Wang JR, Huang CC, Chen JY, Clinical spectrum of enterovirus 71 infection in children in southern Taiwan, with emphasis on neurological complications. Clin Infect Dis. 1999;29:184–90.
- Huang CC, Liu CC, Chang YC, Chen CY, Wang ST, Yeh TF. Neurologic complications in children with enterovirus 71 infection. N Engl J Med. 1999;341:936–42.
- Lu CY, Lee CY, Kao CL, Shao WY, Lee PI, Twu SJ, Incidence and case-fatality rates resulting from the 1998 enterovirus 71 outbreak in Taiwan. J Med Virol. 2002;67:217–23.
- Shimizu H, Utama A, Yoshii K, Yoshida H, Yoneyama T, Sinniah M, Enterovirus 71 from fatal and nonfatal cases of hand, foot and mouth disease epidemics in Malaysia, Japan and Taiwan in 1997–1998. Jpn J Infect Dis. 1999;52:12–5.
- Podin Y, Gias EL, Ong F, Leong YW, Yee SF, Yusof MA, Sentinel surveillance for human enterovirus 71 in Sarawak, Malaysia: lessons from the first seven years. BMC Public Health 2006;6:180 [cited 2007 Jul 7]. Available from http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-2458/6/180
- Shimizu H, Utama A, Onnimala N, Li C, Li-Bi Z, Yu-Jie M. Molecular epidemiology of enterovirus 71 in the Western Pacific region. Pediatr Int. 2004;46:231–5.
- Sanders SA, Herrero LJ, McPhie K, Chow SSW, Craig ME, Dwyer DE, Molecular epidemiology of enterovirus 71 over two decades in an Australian urban community. Arch Virol. 2006;151:1003–13.
Page created: July 06, 2010
Page updated: July 06, 2010
Page reviewed: July 06, 2010
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.