Volume 14, Number 1—January 2008
International Polar Year
Sexual Health and Sexually Transmitted Infections in the North American Arctic
|Yearly rate*||United States||Alaska, USA||Canada||Northern territories,† Canada||Southern provinces,† Canada||Denmark||Greenland|
*Per 100,000 population. Data from Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 2006 (12); Public Health Agency of Canada, 2007 (14); Office of the Chief Medical Officer in Greenland (15,16); Statens Serum Institute surveillance Epi-data online (www.ssi.dk).
†Canadian Northern territories: Yukon Territory, Northwest Territories, and Nunavut; Southern provinces: British Columbia, Alberta, Saskatchewan, Manitoba, Ontario, Quebec, Newfoundland, Nova Scotia, New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island.
‡2006 standardized estimates are directly standardized to the year 2000 US population distributed by age and sex.
- Arctic Climate Impact Assessment. Impacts of a warming Arctic: Arctic climate impact assessment. New York: Cambridge University Press; 2004.
- Gaydos CA, Kent CK, Rietmeijer CA, Willard NJ, Marrazzo JM, Chapin JB, Prevalence of Neisseria gonorrhoeae among men screened for Chlamydia trachomatis in four United States cities, 1999–2003.Sex Transm Dis. 2006;33:314–9.
- Levine SB, Coupey SM. Adolescent substance use, sexual behavior, and metropolitan status: is “urban” a risk factor?J Adolesc Health. 2003;32:350–5.
- Adimora AA, Schoenbach VJ, Doherty IA. HIV and African Americans in the southern United States: sexual networks and social context.Sex Transm Dis. 2006;33(Suppl):S39–45.
- Thomas JC. From slavery to incarceration: social forces affecting the epidemiology of sexually transmitted diseases in the rural South.Sex Transm Dis. 2006;33(Suppl):S6–10.
- Aral SO, O’Leary A, Baker C. Sexually transmitted infections and HIV in the southern United States: an overview.Sex Transm Dis. 2006;33(Suppl):S1–5.
- Farley TA. Sexually transmitted diseases in the Southeastern United States: location, race, and social context.Sex Transm Dis. 2006;33(Suppl):S58–64.
- Rhodes SD, Eng E, Hergenrather KC, Remnitz IM, Arceo R, Montaño J, Exploring Latino men’s HIV risk using community-based participatory research.Am J Health Behav. 2007;31:146–58.
- Johnson LF, Coetzee DJ, Dorrington RE. Sentinel surveillance of sexually transmitted infections in South Africa: a review.Sex Transm Infect. 2005;81:287–93.
- Sangani P, Rutherford G, Wilkinson D. Population-based interventions for reducing sexually transmitted infections, including HIV infection.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2004;2:CD001220.
- Bjerregaard P, Mulvad G, Olsen J. Studying health in Greenland: obligations and challenges.Int J Circumpolar Health. 2003;62:5–16.
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Sexually transmitted disease surveillance, 2006. Atlanta: US Department of Health and Human Services; 2007.
- Gessner BD, McLaughlin J, eds. Chlamydia trachomatis—Alaska, 2006. State of Alaska Epidemiology Bulletin. 2007 [cited 2007 Oct 25]. Available from http://www.epi.alaska.gov.
- Public Health Agency of Canada. STI data tables. Surveillance and Epidemiology Section, Community Acquired Infections Division, Centre for Infectious Disease Prevention and Control. 2007 [cited 2007 Oct 25]. Available from http://www.phac-aspc.gc.ca/std-mts/stddata_pre06_04/index_tab_e.htm
- Office of the Chief Medical Officer in Greenland. Ukiumoortumik Nalunaarut Årsberetning 2004. Nuuk, Greenland: Embedslægeinstitutionen i Grønland; 2005.
- Office of the Chief Medical Officer in Greenland. Ukiumoortumik Nalunaarut Årseberetning 2003. Nuuk, Greenland: Embedslægeinstitutionen i Grønland; 2004.
- Orr PH, Brown R. Incidence of ectopic pregnancy and sexually transmitted disease in the Canadian central Arctic.Int J Circumpolar Health. 1998;57(Suppl 1):127–34.
- Wong D, Swint E, Paisano EL, Cheek JE. Indian Health surveillance report sexually transmitted diseases 2004. Atlanta: Centers for Disease Control and Prevention and Indian Health Services; 2006.
- Kaufman CE, Shelby L, Mosure DJ, Marrazzo J, Wong D, de Ravello L, Within the hidden epidemic: sexually transmitted diseases and HIV/AIDS among American Indians and Alaska Natives.Sex Transm Dis. 2007;34:767–77.
- Steenbeek A, Tyndall M, Rothenberg R, Sheps S. Determinants of sexually transmitted infections among Canadian Inuit adolescent populations.Public Health Nurs. 2006;23:531–4.
- Larkin J, Flicker S, Koleszar-Green R, Mintz S, Dagnino M, Mitchell C. HIV risk, systemic inequities, and Aboriginal youth: widening the circle for HIV prevention programming.Can J Public Health. 2007;98:179–82.
- Elwy AR, Hart GJ, Hawkes S, Petticrew M. Effectiveness of interventions to prevent sexually transmitted infections and human immunodeficiency virus in heterosexual men: a systematic review.Arch Intern Med. 2002;162:1818–30.
- Nusbaum MR, Wallace RR, Slatt LM, Kondrad EC. Sexually transmitted infections and increased risk of co-infection with human immunodeficiency virus.J Am Osteopath Assoc. 2004;104:527–35.
- Lapidus JA, Bertolli J, McGowan K, Sullivan P. HIV-related risk behaviors, perceptions of risk, HIV testing, and exposure to prevention messages and methods among urban American Indians and Alaska Natives.AIDS Educ Prev. 2006;18:546–59.
- Hellerstedt WL, Peterson-Hickey M, Rhodes KL, Garwick A. Environmental, social, and personal correlates of having ever had sexual intercourse among American Indian youths.Am J Public Health. 2006;96:2228–34.
- Holkup PA, Tripp-Reimer T, Salois EM, Weinert C. Community-based participatory research: an approach to intervention research with a Native American community.ANS Adv Nurs Sci. 2004;27:162–75.
- Smith A, Christopher S, McCormick AK. Development and implementation of a culturally sensitive cervical health survey: a community-based participatory approach.Women Health. 2004;40:67–86.
- Mail PD, Conner J, Conner CN. New collaborations with native Americans in the conduct of community research.Health Educ Behav. 2006;33:148–53.
- Whitbeck LB, Adams G, Hoyt D, Chen X. Conceptualizing and measuring historical trauma among American Indian people.Am J Community Psychol. 2004;33:119–30.
- Jervis L, Beals J, Croy C, Klein S, Manson S. Historical consciousness among two American Indian tribes.Am Behav Sci. 2006;50:526–49.
- Quigley D. A review of improved ethical practices in environmental and public health research: case examples for native communities.Health Educ Behav. 2006;33:130–47.
- Whitbeck L. Some guiding assumptions and a theoretical model for developing culturally specific preventions with Native American people.J Community Psychol. 2006;34:183–92.