Volume 14, Number 7—July 2008
Avian Mycoplasma lipofaciens Transmission to Veterinarian
|Isolation||–||M. l.||M. l.||M. l.||M. l.||–||–||–|
|Clinical signs||None||None||None||Throat pain, slight rhinitis||Slight rhinitis, nasal pain||None||None||None|
*–, negative; M.l., Mycoplasma lipofaciens (identified by immunobinding assay); ND, not done; +, positive.
†Hatching of infected poults and demonstration of aerosol transmission among poults.
‡Detection of mycoplasma DNA per Lierz et al. (5).
- Pitcher DG, Nicholas RAJ. Mycoplasma host specificity: Fact or fiction? Vet J. 2005;170:300–6.
- Roifman CM, Rao CP, Lederman HM, Lavi S, Quinn P, Gelfand EW. Increased susceptibility to Mycoplasma infection in patients with hypogammaglobulinaemia. Am J Med. 1986;80:590–4.
- Baseman JB, Tully JG. Mycoplasma: sophisticated, reemerging, and burdened by their notoriety. Emerg Infect Dis. 1997;3:21–32.
- Baker AS, Ruoff KL, Madoff S. Isolation of Mycoplasma species from a patient with seal finger. Clin Infect Dis. 1998;27:1168–70.
- Lierz M, Hagen N, Harcourt-Brown N, Hernandez-Divers SJ, Lueschow D, Hafez HM. Prevalence of mycoplasmas in eggs from birds of prey using culture and a genus-specific mycoplasma polymerase chain reaction. Avian Pathol. 2007;36:145–50.
- Lierz M, Deppenmeier S, Gruber AD, Brokat S, Hafez HM. Pathogenicity of Mycoplasma lipofaciens strain ML64 for turkey embryos. Avian Pathol. 2007;36:389–93.
- Bradbury JM, Forrest M, Williams A. Mycoplasma lipofaciens, a new species of avian origin. Int J Syst Bacteriol. 1983;33:329–35.
- Bencina D, Dorrer D, Tadina T. Mycoplasma species isolated from six avian species. Avian Pathol. 1987;16:653–64.
- Lierz M, Stark R, Brokat S, Hafez HM. Pathogenicity of M. lipofaciens strain ML64, isolated from an egg of a Northern Goshawk (Accipiter gentilis), for chicken embryos. Avian Pathol. 2007;36:151–3.
- Christensen NH, Yavari CA, McBai AJ, Bradbury JM. Investigations into the survival of Mycoplasma gallisepticum, Mycoplasma synoviae and Mycoplasma iowae on materials found in the poultry house environment. Avian Pathol. 1994;23:127–43.
Page created: July 12, 2010
Page updated: July 12, 2010
Page reviewed: July 12, 2010
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.