Volume 15, Number 11—November 2009
Multicenter EuroTravNet/GeoSentinel Study of Travel-related Infectious Diseases in Europe
|Classic traveler||European country–born person living in Europe who traveled to a developing country and has returned to his or her home country.|
|Immigrant traveler||Person born in a developing country who at some time has emigrated to Europe,† including refugees, where a permanent residence has been established, and who later travels to a developing country and returns to Europe.|
|Expatriate traveler||European-born person who grew up in Europe and whose current country of residence is a developing country. They were included when they sought treatment at a GeoSentinel site after they returned to Europe and/or after travel while still expatriating.|
*From Western Europe (19).
†Patients whose purpose of travel was the initial immigration travel from their birth country to Europe were excluded.
- Chen LH, Wilson ME. The role of the traveler in emerging infections and magnitude of travel. Med Clin North Am. 2008;92:1409–32.
- World Tourism Organization. Facts and figures [cited 2009 Mar 10]. Available from http://www.unwto.org/facts/menu.html
- World Health Organization. International travel and health, 2009 [cited 2009 Apr 1]. Available from http://www.who.int/ith/chapters/en/index.html
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Health Information for travelers [cited 2009 Apr 1]. Available from http://www.cdc.gov/Travel/contentYellowBook.aspx
- Desenclos JC, van der Werf WS, Bonmarin I, Levy-Bruhl D, Yazdanpanah Y, Hoen B, Introduction of SARS in France, March–April, 2003. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004;10:195–200.
- Armengaud A, Legros F, D’Ortenzio E, Quatresous I, Barre H, Houze S, A case of autochthonous Plasmodium vivax malaria, Corsica, August 2006. Travel Med Infect Dis. 2008;6:36–40.
- Simon F, Savini H, Parola P. Chikungunya: a paradigm of emergence and globalisation of vector-borne diseases. Med Clin North Am. 2008;92:1323–43.
- Rezza G, Nicoletti L, Angelini R, Romi R, Finarelli AC, Panning M, Infection with chikungunya virus in Italy: an outbreak in a temperate region. Lancet. 2007;370:1840–6.
- Butler D. Swine flu goes global. Nature. 2009;458:1082–3.
- Steffen R, Amitirigala I, Mutsch M. Health risks among travelers—need for regular updates. J Travel Med. 2008;15:145–6.
- Parola P, Soula G, Gazin P, Foucault C, Delmont J, Brouqui P. Fever in travelers returning from tropical areas: prospective observational study of 613 cases hospitalised in Marseilles, France, 1999–2003. Travel Med Infect Dis. 2006;4:61–70.
- Fenner L, Weber R, Steffen R, Schlagenhauf P. Imported infectious disease and purpose of travel, Switzerland. Emerg Infect Dis. 2007;13:217–22.
- Leroy H, Arvieux C, Biziragusenyuka J, Chapplain JM, Guiguen C, Michelet C, A retrospective study of 230 consecutive patients hospitalized for presumed travel-related illness (2000–2006). Eur J Clin Microbiol Infect Dis. 2008;27:1137–40.
- Leder K, Black J, O’Brien D, Greenwood Z, Kain KC, Schwartz E, Malaria in travelers: a review of the GeoSentinel surveillance network. Clin Infect Dis. 2004;39:1104–12.
- Bottieau E, Clerinx J, Van den Enden E, Van Esbroeck M, Colebunders R, Van Gompel A, Fever after a stay in the tropics: diagnostic predictors of the leading tropical conditions. Medicine (Baltimore). 2007;86:18–25.
- Jelinek T. Imported schistosomiasis in Europe: preliminary data for 2007 from TropNetEurop. Euro Surveill. 2008;14:13.
- Davis XM, MacDonald S, Borwein S, Freedman DO, Kozarsky PE, von Sonnenburg F, Health risks in travelers to China: the GeoSentinel experience and implications for the 2008 Beijing Olympics. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2008;79:4–8.
- Leder K, Tong S, Weld L, Kain KC, Wilder-Smith A, von Sonnenburg F, Illness in travelers visiting friends and relatives: a review of the GeoSentinel Surveillance Network. Clin Infect Dis. 2006;43:1185–93.
- Freedman DO, Weld LH, Kozarsky PE, Fisk T, Robins R, von Sonnenburg F, Spectrum of disease and relation to place of exposure among ill returned travelers. N Engl J Med. 2006;354:119–30.
- Greenacre M. Correspondence analysis in medical research. Stat Methods Med Res. 1992;1:97–117.
- Heiser WJ, Bennani M. Triadic distance models: axiomatization and least squares representation. J Math Psychol. 1997;41:189–206.
- Sieber TN, Petrini O, Greenacre MJ. Correspondence analysis as a tool in fungal taxonomy. Syst Appl Microbiol. 1998;21:433–41.
- Wilson ME, Freedman DO. Etiology of travel-related fever. Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2007;20:449–53.
- Gautret P, Schwartz E, Shaw M, Soula G, Gazin P, Delmont J, Animal-associated injuries and related diseases among returned travellers: a review of the GeoSentinel Surveillance Network. Vaccine. 2007;25:2656–63.
- Wilson ME, Weld LH, Boggild A, Keystone JS, Kain KC, von Sonnenburg F, Fever in returned travelers: results from the GeoSentinel Surveillance Network. Clin Infect Dis. 2007;44:1560–8.
- Lederman ER, Weld LH, Elyazar IR, von Sonnenburg F, Loutan L, Schwartz E, Dermatologic conditions of the ill returned traveler: an analysis from the GeoSentinel Surveillance Network. Int J Infect Dis. 2008;12:593–602.
- Swaminathan A, Schlagenhauf P, Thursky K, Wilder-Smith A, Connor BA, Schwartz E, A global study of pathogens and host risk factors associated with infectious gastrointestinal disease in returned international travellers. J Infect. 2009;59:19–27.
- Ansart S, Perez L, Vergely O, Danis M, Bricaire F, Caumes E. Illnesses in travelers returning from the tropics: a prospective study of 622 patients. J Travel Med. 2005;12:312–8.
- Greenwood Z, Black J, Weld L, O’Brien D, Leder K, von Sonnenburg F, Gastrointestinal infection among international travelers globally. J Travel Med. 2008;15:221–8.
- Muscat M, Hartvig CA, Bottiger BE, Plesner A, Glismann S. A cluster of measles cases in Denmark following importation, January and February 2008. Euro Surveill. 2008;13:8050.
- Marti F, Steffen R, Mutsch M. Influenza vaccine: a travelers’ vaccine? Expert Rev Vaccines. 2008;7:679–87.
- Stäger K, Legros F, Krause G, Low N, Bradley D, Desai M, Imported malaria in children in industrialized countries, 1992–2002. Emerg Infect Dis. 2009;15:185–91.
- Schwartz E, Weld LH, Wilder-Smith A, von Sonnenburg F, Keystone JS, Kain KC, Seasonality, annual trends, and characteristics of dengue among ill returned travelers, 1997–2006. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14:1081–8.
- Wilder-Smith A, Gubler DJ. Geographic expansion of dengue: the impact of international travel. Med Clin North Am. 2008;92:1377–90.
- Cooke FJ, Wain J. The emergence of antibiotic resistance in typhoid fever. Travel Med Infect Dis. 2004;2:67–74.
- Cazorla C, Socolovschi C, Jensenius M, Parola P. Tick-borne diseases: tick-borne spotted fever rickettsioses in Africa. Infect Dis Clin North Am. 2008;22:531–44.
- Monsel G, Caumes E. Recent developments in dermatological syndromes in returning travelers. Curr Opin Infect Dis. 2008;21:495–9.
- Parola P, de Lamballerie X, Jourdan J, Rovery C, Vaillant V, Minodier P, Novel chikungunya virus variant in travelers returning from Indian Ocean islands. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006;12:1493–9.
- Ansart S, Hochedez P, Perez L, Bricaire F, Caumes E. Sexually transmitted diseases diagnosed among travelers returning from the tropics. J Travel Med. 2009;16:79–83.
- Coulombier D. Epidemic intelligence in the European Union: strengthening the ties. Euro Surveill. 2008;13:6.
1A list of GeoSentinel Surveillance Network members who also contributed data is given at the end of this article.
2The GeoSentinel sites in Europe have recently grouped together within GeoSentinel to form the core sites of EuroTravNet (www.eurotravnet.eu), the European Centre for Disease Prevention and Control corresponding network for tropical and travel medicine.
1These members of the GeoSentinel Surveillance Network also contributed data: François Chappuis, University of Geneva, Geneva, Switzerland; Giampiero Carosi, University of Brescia, Brescia, Italy; Fabrice Simon and Jean Delmont, Hôpital Nord, Marseille, France; Gerd-Dieter Burchard, Bernhard-Nocht-Institute for Tropical Medicine, Hamburg, Germany; Rainer Weber and Robert Steffen, University of Zürich, Zürich, Switzerland; Mogens Jensenius, Ullevål University Hospital, Oslo, Norway; Effrossyni Gkrania-Klotsas, Addenbrooke's Hospital, Cambridge, UK; and Vanessa Field, InterHealth, London, UK. These additional members contributed data for Europeans nonresident in Europe: Prativa Pandey, Canadian International Water and Energy Consultants Clinic Travel Medicine Center, Kathmandu, Nepal; Susan MacDonald, Beijing United Family Hospital and Clinics, Beijing, People’s Republic of China; Poh Lian Lim and Annelies Wilder-Smith, Tan Tock Seng Hospital, Singapore; Graham Brown, Joseph Torresi, Royal Melbourne Hospital, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia; Marc Shaw, Worldwise Travellers Health and Vaccination Centre, Auckland, New Zealand; Alejandra Gurtman, Mount Sinai Medical Center, New York City, New York, USA (2002 Oct–2005 Aug only); Robert Muller, Travel Clinic Services, Johannesburg, South Africa (2004 May–2005 Jun only); Phyllis E. Kozarsky and Carlos Franco-Paredes, Emory University, Atlanta, Georgia, USA; Jay S. Keystone and Kevin C. Kain, University of Toronto, Toronto, Ontario, Canada; Dominique Meisch, International SOS Clinic, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam; Robert Kass, Travellers Medical and Vaccination Centres of Australia, Adelaide, South Australia, Australia (1997 Dec–2001 Mar only); Eli Schwartz, Chaim Sheba Medical Center, Tel Hashomer, Israel; Bradley A. Connor, Cornell University, New York, New York, USA; N. Jean Haulman, Davie Roesel, and Elaine C. Jong, University of Washington, Seattle, Washington, USA; Watcharapong Piyaphanee and Udomsak Silachamroon, Mahidol University, Bangkok, Thailand; R. Bradley Sack and Robin McKenzie, Johns Hopkins University, Baltimore, Maryland, USA (1997 Dec–2007 Aug only); Cecilia Perret and Francisca Valdivieso, Pontificia Universidad Católica de Chile, Santiago, Chile; Sarah Borwein, Central Health Medical Practice, Hong Kong SAR, China; Carmelo Licitra and Antonio Crespo, Orlando Regional Health Center, Orlando, Florida, USA; Lin H. Chen and Mary E. Wilson, Harvard University, Cambridge, Massachusetts, USA; Thomas B. Nutman and Amy D. Klion, National Institutes of Health, Bethesda, Maryland, USA; Vernon Ansdell, Kaiser Permanente, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA (1997 Oct–2003 Jan only); DeVon C. Hale and Stefanie S. Gelman, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, Utah, USA; and Hiroko Sagara, Yokohama Municipal Citizen's Hospital, Yokohama, Japan.