Volume 16, Number 1—January 2010
Enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli Multilocus Sequence Types in Guatemala and Mexico
- Qadri F, Svennerholm A-M, Faruque AS, Sack RB. Enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli in developing countries: epidemiology, microbiology, clinical features, treatment, and prevention. Clin Microbiol Rev. 2005;18:465–83.
- Wolf MK. Occurence, distribution, and associations of O and H serogroups, colonization factor antigens, and toxins of enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli. Clin Microbiol Rev. 1997;10:569–84.
- Bölin I, Wiklund G, Qadri F, Torres O, Bourgeois AL, Savarino S, Enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli with STh and STp genotypes is associated with diarrhea both in children in areas of endemicity and in travelers. J Clin Microbiol. 2006;44:3872–7.
- Gaastra W, Svennerholm A-M. Colonization factors of human enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli (ETEC). Trends Microbiol. 1996;4:444–52.
- Sack DA, Shimko J, Torres O, Bourgeois AL, Francia DS, Gustafsson B, Randomised, double-blind, safety and efficacy of a killed oral vaccine for enterotoxigenic E. coli diarrhoea of travellers to Guatemala and Mexico. Vaccine. 2007;25:4392–400.
- Shaheen HI, Abdel Messih IA, Klena JD, Mansour A, El-Wakkeel Z, Wierzba TF, Phenotypic and genotypic analysis of enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli in samples obtained from Egyptian children presenting to referral hospitals. J Clin Microbiol. 2009;47:189–97.
- Qadri F, Saha A, Ahmed T, Al Tarique A, Ara Begum Y, Svennerholm A-M. Disease burden due to enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli in the first 2 years of life in an urban community in Bangladesh. Infect Immun. 2007;75:3961–8.
- Bourgeois AL, Halpern J, Gustafsson B, Svennerholm A-M, Torres O, Belkind-Gerson J, Protective efficacy of an oral killed vaccine (OKV) for enterotoxigenic E. coli (ETEC) in adult travelers to Guatemala (GU) and Mexico (MX). 45th Annual Meeting of the Interscience Conference on Antimicrobial Agents and Chemotherapy. 2005.
- Taylor DN, Bourgeois AL, Ericsson CD, Steffen R, Jiang ZD, Halpern J, A randomized, double-blind, multicenter study of rifaximin compared with placebo and with ciprofloxacin in the treatment of travelers’ diarrhea. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2006;74:1060–6.
- Sjöling Å, Wiklund G, Savarino SJ, Cohen DI, Svennerholm A-M. Comparative analyses of phenotypic and genotypic methods for detection of enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli (ETEC) toxins and colonisation factors. J Clin Microbiol. 2007;45:3295–301.
- Wirth T, Falush D, Lan R, Colles F, Mensa P, Wieler LH, Sex and virulence in Escherichia coli: an evolutionary perspective. Mol Microbiol. 2006;60:1136–51.
- Hall TA. BioEdit: a user-friendly biological sequence alignment editor and analysis program for Windows 95/98/NT. Nucleic Acids Symp Ser. 1999;41:95–8.
- Kumar S, Tamura K, Nei M. MEGA3: Integrated software for Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis and sequence alignment. Brief Bioinform. 2004;5:150–63.
- Nicklasson M, Sjöling Å, Lebens M, Tobias J, Janzon A, Brive L, Mutations in the periplasmic chaperone leading to loss of surface expression of the colonization factor CS6 in enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli (ETEC) clinical isolates. Microb Pathog. 2008;44:246–54.
- Wolf MK, de Haan LA, Cassels FJ, Willshaw GA, Warren R, Boedeker EC, The CS6 colonization factor of human enterotoxigenic Escherichia coli contains two heterologous major subunits. FEMS Microbiol Lett. 1997;148:35–42.
Page created: March 31, 2011
Page updated: March 31, 2011
Page reviewed: March 31, 2011
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.