Volume 16, Number 1—January 2010
Pandemic (H1N1) 2009 Surveillance and Prevalence of Seasonal Influenza, Singapore
|Screening criteria||Sensitivity, %||Specificity, %||Positive predictive value, %||Negative predictive value, %|
|Temperature >37.5°C and cough or sore throat||74.1||71.6||50.8||87.5|
|Temperature >37.5°C and cough, sore throat, or rhinorrhea||81.2||71.2||52.7||90.5|
|Temperature >37.8°C and cough or sore throat (9)||67.1||80.0||57.0||86.0|
|Temperature >38°C and cough or sore throat (13)||54.1||87.0||62.2||82.7|
- Hampson AW. Epidemiological data on influenza in Asian countries. Vaccine. 1999;17(Suppl 1):S19–23.
- Leo YS, Lye DC, Chow A. Influenza in the tropics. Lancet Infect Dis. 2009;9:457–8.
- Chew FT, Doraisingham S, Ling AE, Kumarasinghe G, Lee BW. Seasonal trends of viral respiratory tract infections in the tropics. Epidemiol Infect. 1998;121:121–8.
- Chow A, Ma S, Ling AE, Chew SK. Influenza-associated deaths in tropical Singapore. Emerg Infect Dis. 2006;12:114–21.
- Lee VJ, Chen MI, Chan SP, Wong CS, Cutter J, Goh KT, Influenza pandemics in Singapore, a tropical, globally connected city. Emerg Infect Dis. 2007;13:1052–7.
- Novel Swine-Origin Influenza A (H1N1) Virus Investigation Team, Dawood FS, Jain S, Finelli L, Shaw MW, Lindstrom S, Garten RJ, et al. Emergence of a novel swine-origin influenza A (H1N1) virus in humans. N Engl J Med. 2009;360:2605–15.
- Fraser C, Donnelly CA, Cauchemez S, Hanage WP, Van Kerkhove MD, Hollingsworth TD, ; WHO Rapid Pandemic Assessment Collaboration. Pandemic potential of a strain of influenza A (H1N1): early findings. Science. 2009;324:1557–61.
- World Health Organization. World now at the start of 2009 influenza pandemic. Statement to the press by WHO Director-General Dr Margaret Chan, 2009 June 11 [cited 2009 Jun 16]. Available from http://www.who.int/mediacentre/news/statements/2009/h1n1_pandemic_phase6_20090611/en/index.html
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Flu activity and surveillance [cited 2009 Jul 21]. Available from http://www.cdc.gov/flu/weekly/fluactivity.htm
- Dushoff J, Plotkin JB, Viboud C, Earn DJ, Simonsen L. Mortality due to influenza in the United States: an annualized regression approach using multiple-cause mortality data. Am J Epidemiol. 2006;163:181–7.
- Samransamruajkit R, Hiranrat T, Chieochansin T, Sritippayawan S, Deerojanawong J, Prapphal N, Prevalence, clinical presentations and complications among hospitalized children with influenza pneumonia. Jpn J Infect Dis. 2008;61:446–9.
- Simmerman JM, Lertiendumrong J, Dowell SF, Uyeki T, Olsen SJ, Chittaganpitch M, The cost of influenza in Thailand. Vaccine. 2006;24:4417–26.
- World Health Organization. WHO recommended surveillance standards, second edition [cited 2009 Jul 25]. Available from http://www.who.int/csr/resources/publications/surveillance/WHO_CDS_CSR_ISR_99_2_EN/en
Page created: March 31, 2011
Page updated: March 31, 2011
Page reviewed: March 31, 2011
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.