Volume 16, Number 2—February 2010
Effects of Coronavirus Infections in Children
|Study||Location and period||Population||No. samples tested||No. (%) patients with positive test results||Comments|
|Lau et al. (20)||Hong Kong; 2004 Apr–2005 Mar||629 children with RTIs, 6 mo–5 y; inpatients||629||10 (1.6)||11 patients with URTIs, 1 with pneumonia, 1 with bronchiolitis, 5 with febrile seizures; 3 with underlying disease|
|Vabret et al. (24)||Canada; 2005 Feb–Mar||83 children with RTIs, <5 y; negative for RSV, influenza A/B, PIV 1–3, adenovirus; inpatients||83||5 (6.0)||3 patients with gastroenteritis, 1 with febrile seizures; mean age 26 mo|
|Sloots et al. (25)||Australia; 2004 May–Aug||259 children with RTIs, <5 y; inpatients and outpatients||259||10 (3.8)||1 patient with co-infection|
|Talbot et al. (34)||USA; 2001 Oct–2003 Sep||1,055 children with RTIs, <5 y; inpatients||1,055||4 (0.4)||Mild episodes|
*HCoV, human coronavirus; RTI, respiratory tract infection; URTI, upper respiratory tract infection; RSV, respiratory syncytial virus; PIV, parainfluenza virus.
- Kahn JS, McIntosh K. History and recent advances in coronavirus discovery. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2005;24(Suppl):S223–7.
- Drosten C, Gunther S, Preiser W, van der Werf S, Brodt HR, Becker S, Identification of a novel coronavirus in patients with a severe acute respiratory syndrome. N Engl J Med. 2003;348:1967–76.
- Monto AS, Lim SK. The Tecumseh study of respiratory illness. VI. Frequency of and relationship between outbreaks of coronavirus infection. J Infect Dis. 1974;129:271–6.
- Stewart JN, Mounir S, Talbot PJ. Human coronavirus gene expression in the brains of multiple sclerosis patients. Virology. 1992;191:502–5.
- van der Hoek L, Pyro K, Jebbink MF, Vermeulen-Oost W, Berkhout RJ, Wolthers KC, Identification of a new human coronavirus. Nat Med. 2004;10:368–73.
- Woo PC, Lau SK, Chu CM, Chan KH, Tsoi HW, Huang Y, Characterization and complete genome sequence of a novel coronavirus, coronavirus HKU1, from patients with pneumonia. J Virol. 2005;79:884–95.
- Fouchier RA, Hartwig NG, Bestebroer TM, Bestebroer TM, Niemeyer B, de Jong JC, A previously undescribed coronavirus associated with respiratory disease in humans. Proc Natl Acad Sci U S A. 2005;101:6212–6.
- Esper F, Weibel C, Ferguson D, Landry ML, Kahn JS. Evidence of a novel human coronavirus that is associated with respiratory tract disease in infants and young children. J Infect Dis. 2005;191:492–8.
- Suzuki A, Okamoto M, Ohmi A, Watanabe O, Miyabayashi S, Nishimura H. Detection of human coronavirus-NL63 in children in Japan. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2005;24:645–6.
- Chiu SS, Chan KH, Chu KW, Kwan SW, Guan Y, Poon LL, Human coronavirus NL63 infection and other coronavirus infections in children hospitalized with acute respiratory disease in Hong Kong, China. Clin Infect Dis. 2005;40:1721–9.
- Arden KE, Nissen MD, Slkoots TP, Mackay IM. New human coronavirus HCoV-NL63, associated with severe lower respiratory tract disease in Australia. J Med Virol. 2005;75:455–62.
- Ebihara T, Endo R, Ma X, Ishiguro N, Kikuta H. Detection of human coronavirus NL63 in young children with bronchiolitis. J Med Virol. 2005;75:463–5.
- Kaiser L, Regamey N, Roiha H, Deffernez C, Frey U. Human coronavirus NL63 associated with lower respiratory tract symptoms in early life. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2005;24:1015–7.
- Bastien N, Robinson JL, Tse A, Lee BE, Hart L, Li Y. Human coronavirus NL-63 infections in children: a 1-year study. J Clin Microbiol. 2005;43:4567–73.
- Vabret A, Mourez T, Dina J, van der Hoek L, Gouarin S, Petitjean J, Human coronavirus NL63, France. Emerg Infect Dis. 2005;11:1225–9.
- van der Hoek L, Sure K, Ihorst G, Stang A, Pyrc K, Jebbink MF, Croup is associated with the novel coronavirus NL63. PLoS Med. 2005;2:e240.
- Boivin G, Baz M, Coté S, Gilca R, Deffrasnes C, Leblanc E, Infections by human coronavirus-NL in hospitalized children. Pediatr Infect Dis J. 2005;24:1045–8.
- Esposito S, Bosis S, Niesters HG, Tremolati E, Begliatti E, Rognoni A, Impact of human coronavirus infections in otherwise healthy children who attended an emergency department. J Med Virol. 2006;78:1609–15.
- Choi EH, Lee HJ, Kin SJ, Eun BW, Kim NH, Lee JA, The association of newly identified respiratory viruses with lower respiratory tract infections in Korean children, 2000–2005. Clin Infect Dis. 2006;43:585–92.
- Lau SK, Woo PC, Yip CC, Tse H, Tsoi HW, Cheng VC, et al. Coronavirus HKU1 and other coronavirus infections in Hong Kong. J Clin Microbiol. 2006;44:2o63–71.
- Kuypers J, Martin ET, Heugel J, Wright N, Morrow R, Englund JA. Clinical disease in children associated with newly described coronavirus-subtypes. Pediatrics. 2007;119:e70–6.
- Wu PS, Chang LY, Berkhout B, van der Hoek L, Lu CY, Kao CL, Clinical manifestation of human coronavirus NL63 infection in children in Taiwan. Eur J Pediatr. 2008;167:75–80.
- Smuts H, Workman L, Zar HJ. Role of human metapneumovirus, human coronavirus NL63 and human bocavirus in infants and young children with acute wheezing. J Med Virol. 2008;80:906–12.
- Vabret A, Dina J, Gouarin S, Petitjean J, Corbet S, Freymuth F. Detection of the new human coronavirus HKU1: a report of 6 cases. Clin Infect Dis. 2006;42:634–9.
- Sloots TP, McErlean P, Speicher DJ, Arden KE, Nissen MD, Mackay IM. Evidence of human coronavirus HKU1 and human bocavirus in Australian children. J Clin Virol. 2006;35:99–102.
- Bosis S, Esposito S, Niester HG, Tremolati E, Pas S, Principi N, Coronavirus HKU1 in Italian pre-term infant with bronchiolitis. J Clin Virol. 2007;38:251–3.
- Guan Y, Zheng BJ, He YQ, Liu XL, Zhuang ZX, Cheung CL, Isolation and characterization of viruses related to the SARS coronaviruses from animals in southern China. Science. 2003;302:276–8.
- Dowell SF, Ho MS. Seasonality of infectious diseases and severe acute respiratory syndrome – what we don’t know can hurt us. Lancet Infect Dis. 2004;4:704–8.
- Leung GM, Chung PH, Tsang T, Lim W, Chan SK, Chau P, SARS-CoV antibody prevalence in all Hong Kong patient contacts. Emerg Infect Dis. 2004;10:1653–6.
- Esposito S, Bosis S, Niesters HG, Tremolati E, Sabatini C, Porta A, Impact of human bocavirus on children and their families. J Clin Microbiol. 2008;46:1337–42.
- McIntosh K, Chao RK, Krause HE, Wasil R, Mocega HE, Mufson MA. Coronavirus infection in acute lower respiratory tract disease of infants. J Infect Dis. 1974;130:502–7.
- Shao X, Guo X, Esper F, Webel C, Kahn J. Seroepidemiology of group 1 human coronavirus in children. J Clin Virol. 2007;40:201–13.
- Dijkman R, Jebbink MF, El Idrissi NB, Pyrc K, Muller MA, Kuijpers TW, Human coronavirus NL63 and 229E seroconversion in children. J Clin Microbiol. 2008;46:2368–73.
- Talbot HK, Crowe JE Jr, Edwards KM, Griffin MR, Zhu Y, Weinberg GA, Coronavirus infection and hospitalizations for acute respiratory illness in young children. J Med Virol. 2009;81:853–6.
- Han TH, Chung JY, Kim SW, Hwang ES. Human coronavirus-NL63 infections in Korean children, 2004–2006. J Clin Virol. 2007;38:27–31.
- Leung CW, Chiu WK. Clinical picture, diagnosis, treatment and outcome of severe acute respiratory syndrome (SARS) in children. Paediatr Respir Rev. 2004;5:275–88.
- Gerna G, Campanini G, Rovida F, Percivalle E, Sarasini A, Marchi A, Genetic variability of human coronavirus OC43-, 229E-, and NL63-like strains and their association with lower respiratory tract infections of hospitalized infants and immunocompromised patients. J Med Virol. 2006;78:938–49.
- Gagneur A, Vallet S, Talbot PJ, Legrand-Quillien MC, Picard B, Payan C, Outbreaks of human coronavirus in a pediatric and neonatal intensive care unit. Eur J Pediatr. 2008;167:1427–34.
- Jacomy H, Fragoso G, Almazan G, Mushynski WE, Talbot PJ. Human coronavirus OC43 infection induces chronic encephalitis leading to disabilities in BALB/C mice. Virology. 2006;349:335–46.
- Esper F, Shapiro ED, Weibel C, Ferguson D, Landry ML, Kahn JS. Association between a novel human coronavirus and Kawasaki disease. J Infect Dis. 2005;191:499–502.
Page created: December 10, 2010
Page updated: December 10, 2010
Page reviewed: December 10, 2010
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.