Volume 16, Number 5—May 2010
La Crosse Virus in Aedes albopictus Mosquitoes, Texas, USA, 2009
- Haddow AD, Odoi A. The incidence risk, clustering, and clinical presentation of La Crosse virus infections in the eastern United States, 2003–2007. PLoS ONE. 2009;4:e6145 .
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. Aedes albopictus introduction—Texas. MMWR Morb Mortal Wkly Rep. 1986;35:141–2.
- Moore CG, Mitchell CJ. Aedes albopictus in the United States: ten-year presence and public health implications. Emerg Infect Dis. 1997;3:329–34.
- Grimstad PR, Kobayashi JF, Zhang MB, Craig GB Jr. Recently introduced Aedes albopictus in the United States: potential vector of La Crosse virus (Bunyaviridae: California serogroup). J Am Mosq Control Assoc. 1989;5:422–7.
- Weaver SC, Reisen WK. Present and future arboviral threats. Antiviral Res. 2010;85:328–45. Epub 2009 Oct 24.
- Gerhardt RR, Gottfried KL, Apperson CS, Davis BS, Erwin PC, Smith AB, First isolation of La Crosse virus from naturally infected Aedes albopictus. Emerg Infect Dis. 2001;7:807–11.
- Klimas RA, Thompson WH, Calisher CH, Clark GC, Grimstad PR, Bishop DH. Genotypic varieties of La Crosse virus isolated from different geographic regions of the continental United States and evidence for a naturally occurring intertypic recombination of La Crosse virus. Am J Epidemiol. 1981;114:112–31.
- Lambert AJ, Lanciotti RS. Consensus amplification and novel multiplex sequencing method for S segment species identification of 47 viruses of the Orthobunyavirus, Phlebovirus, and Nairovirus genera of the family Bunyaviridae. J Clin Microbiol. 2009;47:2398–404.
- Lambert AJ, Lanciotti RS. Molecular characterization of medically important viruses of the genus Orthobunyavirus. J Gen Virol. 2008;89:2580–5.
- Tamura K, Dudley J, Nei M, Kumar S. MEGA4: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis (MEGA) software version 4.0. Mol Biol Evol. 2007; 1596–9. Epub 2007 May 7.
- Armstrong PM, Andreadis TG. A new genetic variant of La Crosse virus (Bunyaviridae) isolated from New England. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2006;75:491–6.
- Tesh RB, Shroyer DA. The mechanism of arbovirus transovarial transmission in mosquitoes: San Angelo virus in Aedes albopictus. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1980;29:1394–404.
- Cheng LL, Rodas JD, Schultz KT, Christensen BM, Yuill TM, Israel BA. Potential for evolution of California serogroup bunyaviruses by genome reassortment in Aedes albopictus. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1999;60:430–8.
Page created: December 23, 2010
Page updated: December 23, 2010
Page reviewed: December 23, 2010
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.