Volume 16, Number 9—September 2010
Co-infections with Plasmodium knowlesi and Other Malaria Parasites, Myanmar
- McKenzie FE, Bossert WH. Mixed-species Plasmodium infections of humans. J Parasitol. 1997;83:593–600.
- Singh B, Kim Sung L, Matusop A, Radhakrishnan A, Shamsul SS, Cox-Singh J, A large focus of naturally acquired Plasmodium knowlesi infections in human beings. Lancet. 2004;363:1017–24.
- Putaporntip C, Hongsrimuang T, Seethamchai S, Kobasa T, Limkittikul K, Cui L, Differential prevalence of Plasmodium infections and cryptic Plasmodium knowlesi malaria in humans in Thailand. J Infect Dis. 2009;199:1143–50.
- Butcher GA, Mitchell GH, Cohen S. Plasmodium knowlesi infections in a small number of non-immune natural hosts (Macaca fascicularis) and in rhesus monkeys (M. mulatta). Trans R Soc Trop Med Hyg. 2010;104:75–7.
- Cox-Singh J, Singh B. Knowlesi malaria: newly emergent and of public health importance? Trends Parasitol. 2008;24:406–10.
- Cox-Singh J, Davis TM, Lee KS, Shamsul SS, Matusop A, Ratnam S, Plasmodium knowlesi malaria in humans is widely distributed and potentially life threatening. Clin Infect Dis. 2008;46:165–71.
- Bronner U, Divis PC, Färnert A, Singh B. Swedish traveler with Plasmodium knowlesi malaria after visiting Malaysian Borneo. Malar J. 2009;8:15.
- van Hellemond JJ, Rutten M, Koelewijn R, Zeeman AM, Verweij JJ, Wismans PJ, Human Plasmodium knowlesi infection detected by rapid diagnostic tests for malaria. Emerg Infect Dis. 2009;15:1478–80.
- Lee KS, Cox-Singh J, Brooke G, Matusop A, Singh B. Plasmodium knowlesi from archival blood films: further evidence that human infections are widely distributed and not newly emergent in Malaysian Borneo. Int J Parasitol. 2009;39:1125–8.
- Zhu HM, Li J, Zheng H. Human natural infection of Plasmodium knowlesi [in Chinese]. Zhongguo Ji Sheng Chong Xue Yu Ji Sheng Chong Bing Za Zhi. 2006;24:70–1.
- Bereczky S, Mårtensson A, Gil JP, Färnert A. Short report: Rapid DNA extraction from archive blood spots on filter paper for genotyping of Plasmodium falciparum. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2005;72:249–51.
- Singh B, Bobogare A, Cox-Singh J, Snounou G, Abdullah MS, Rahman HA. A genus- and species-specific nested polymerase chain reaction malaria detection assay for epidemiologic studies. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 1999;60:687–92.
- Ng OT, Ooi EE, Lee CC, Lee PJ, Ng LC, Pei SW, Naturally acquired human Plasmodium knowlesi infection, Singapore. Emerg Infect Dis. 2008;14:814–6.
- Imwong M, Tanomsing N, Pukrittayakamee S, Day NP, White NJ, Snounou G. Spurious amplification of a Plasmodium vivax small-subunit RNA gene by use of primers currently used to detect P. knowlesi. J Clin Microbiol. 2009;47:4173–5.
- Kawai S, Hirai M, Haruki K, Tanabe K, Chigusa Y. Cross-reactivity in rapid diagnostic tests between human malaria and zoonotic simian malaria parasite Plasmodium knowlesi infections. Parasitol Int. 2009;58:300–2.
1These authors contributed equally to this article.
Page created: August 28, 2011
Page updated: August 28, 2011
Page reviewed: August 28, 2011
The conclusions, findings, and opinions expressed by authors contributing to this journal do not necessarily reflect the official position of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services, the Public Health Service, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, or the authors' affiliated institutions. Use of trade names is for identification only and does not imply endorsement by any of the groups named above.