Volume 17, Number 8—August 2011
Circulating Coxsackievirus A16 Identified as Recombinant Type A Human Enterovirus, China
- Sickles GM, Mutterer M, Feorino P, Plager H. Recently classified types of Coxsackie virus, group A; behavior in tissue culture. Proc Soc Exp Biol Med. 1955;90:529–31.
- Pöyry T, Hyypiä T, Horsnell C, Kinnunen L, Hovi T, Stanway G. Molecular analysis of coxsackievirus A16 reveals a new genetic group of enteroviruses. Virology. 1994;202:982–7.
- McMinn PC. An overview of the evolution of enterovirus 71 and its clinical and public health significance. FEMS Microbiol Rev. 2002;26:91–107.
- Doraisingham S, Goh KT, Ling AE. Epidemiology of viral infections in Singapore. Ann Acad Med Singapore. 1987;16:243–9.
- Yan JJ, Su IJ, Chen PF, Liu CC, Yu CK, Wang JR. Complete genome analysis of enterovirus 71 isolated from an outbreak in Taiwan and rapid identification of enterovirus 71 and coxsackievirus A16 by RT-PCR. J Med Virol. 2001;65:331–9.
- Tu PV, Thao NT, Perera D, Huu TK, Tien NT, Thuong TC, Epidemiologic and virologic investigation of hand, foot, and mouth disease, southern Vietnam, 2005. Emerg Infect Dis. 2007;13:1733–41.
- Wu Y, Yeo A, Phoon MC, Tan EL, Poh CL, Quak SH, The largest outbreak of hand, foot and mouth disease in Singapore in 2008: the role of enterovirus 71 and coxsackievirus A strains. Int J Infect Dis. 2010;14:e1076–81.
- Li L, He Y, Yang H, Zhu J, Xu X, Dong J, Genetic characteristics of human enterovirus 71 and coxsackievirus A16 circulating from 1999 to 2004 in Shenzhen, People’s Republic of China. J Clin Microbiol. 2005;43:3835–9.
- Li RQ, Chen LJ, Zhang HR, Wang YM, He X. Study on the etiology of hand-foot-mouth disease outbreaks in Beijing in 2007 [in Chinese]. Zhonghua Liu Xing Bing Xue Za Zhi. 2009;30:784–7.
- Zhang Y, Wang D, Yan D, Zhu S, Liu J, Wang H, Molecular evidence of persistent epidemic and evolution of subgenotype B1 coxsackievirus A16–associated hand, foot, and mouth disease in China. J Clin Microbiol. 2010;48:619–22.
- Zhu Z, Zhu S, Guo X, Wang J, Wang D, Yan D, Retrospective seroepidemiology indicated that human enterovirus 71 and coxsackievirus A16 circulated wildly in central and southern China before large-scale outbreaks from 2008. Virol J. 2010;7:300.
- Tamura K, Dudley J, Nei M, Kumar S. MEGA4: Molecular Evolutionary Genetics Analysis (MEGA) software version 4.0. Mol Biol Evol. 2007;24:1596–9.
- Kosakovsky Pond SL, Posada D, Gravenor MB, Woelk CH, Frost SD. Automated phylogenetic detection of recombination using a genetic algorithm. Mol Biol Evol. 2006;23:1891–901.
- Lole KS, Bollinger RC, Paranjape RS, Gadkari D, Kulkarni SS, Novak NG, Full-length human immunodeficiency virus type 1 genomes from subtype C–infected seroconverters in India, with evidence of intersubtype recombination. J Virol. 1999;73:152–60.
- Liu JF, Zhang Y, Li H. Genetic characterization of VP4–VP2 of 2 coxsackievirus A4 isolated from patients with hand, foot, and mouth disease [in Chinese]. Zhongguo Ji Hua Mian Yi. 2009;15:345–9.