Volume 17, Number 9—September 2011
Canine Serology as Adjunct to Human Lyme Disease Surveillance
|Canine seroprevalence, 2001–2006, %†||No. low-incidence counties,‡ 2001–2006||No. (%) emergent counties,§ 2007–2009¶|
*All states except Alaska, Hawaii, Montana, and Nevada.
†Data from Figure 2 in Bowman et al. (8).
‡Counties with below average incidence of human Lyme disease (<4.7 cases/100,000 population).
§Counties with below average incidence in 2001–2006 and above in 2007–2009.
¶χ2 for trend 135.9, p<0.0001, for counties with known canine seroprevalence.
- Bacon RM, Kugeler KJ, Mead PS. Surveillance for Lyme disease—United States, 1992–2006. MMWR Surveill Summ. 2008;57:1–9.
- Herrington JE Jr, Campbell GL, Bailey RE, Cartter ML, Adams M, Frazier EL, Predisposing factors for individuals’ Lyme disease prevention practices: Connecticut, Maine, and Montana. Am J Public Health. 1997;87:2035–8.
- Fine AM, Brownstein JS, Nigrovic LE, Kimia AA, Olson KL, Thompson AD, Integrating spatial epidemiology into a decision model for evaluation of facial palsy in children. Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med. 2011;165:61–7.
- Tugwell P, Dennis DT, Weinstein A, Wells G, Shea B, Nichol G, Laboratory evaluation in the diagnosis of Lyme disease. Ann Intern Med. 1997;127:1109–23.
- Falco RC, Smith HA, Fish D, Mojica BA, Bellinger MA, Harris HL, The distribution of canine exposure to Borrelia burgdorferi in a Lyme-disease endemic area. Am J Public Health. 1993;83:1305–10.
- Guerra MA, Walker ED, Kitron U. Canine surveillance system for Lyme borreliosis in Wisconsin and northern Illinois: geographic distribution and risk factor analysis. Am J Trop Med Hyg. 2001;65:546–52.
- Duncan AW, Correa MT, Levine JF, Breitschwerdt EB. The dog as a sentinel for human infection: prevalence of Borrelia burgdorferi C6 antibodies in dogs from southeastern and mid-Atlantic states. Vector Borne Zoonotic Dis. 2004;4:221–9.
- Bowman D, Little SE, Lorentzen L, Shields J, Sullivan MP, Carlin EP. Prevalence and geographic distribution of Dirofilaria immitis, Borrelia burgdorferi, Ehrlichia canis, and Anaplasma phagocytophilum in dogs in the United States: results of a national clinic-based serologic survey. Vet Parasitol. 2009;160:138–48.
- IDEXX. Sensitivity and specificity of the SNAP® 4Dx® Test 2010 [updated 2010 Oct 1] [cited 2010 Oct 10]. http://www.idexx.com/view/xhtml/en_us/smallanimal/inhouse/snap/4dx.jsf?selectedTab=Accuracy#tabs
- Little SE, Heise SR, Blagburn BL, Callister SM, Mead PS. Lyme borreliosis in dogs and humans in the USA. Trends Parasitol. 2010;26:213–8.